Hope you're not tired of the "Let's remake a classic" theme because Scarface is next!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by eddiel, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member Thread Starter

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Puke.*

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

* Okay, the occasional remake is good, but c'mon!

:D

4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Yes. I am tired of all of this.

5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

imagination missing-in-action

Humbuster and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

They should update the story by having him take control of a pharmaceutical company.

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Its about time this Paul Muni classic gets remade. The story needs to be retold!

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Perhaps that would be the magic formula for appearing more imaginative in Hollywood. Just remake something that most people have forgotten was a thing. 50 years instead of 30. :)

10. Who's this Al Pacino guy???
    [​IMG]

11. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I'm not tired of remakes because I ignore them.

12. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Say hello to my little bestie

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

So you're complaining about a remake of a remake.

o_O

14. eddiel

First of all, I don't complain. I provide intelligent critique.

Second, I'm taking the piss with this thread, hence the taking the piss style thread title.

No point in getting wound up about Hollywood but taking the piss out of Hollywood can be rather fun. :)

BTW, in case you're wondering, I think the 1983 version is rather overrated (although Pacino is brilliant in it and pretty much the only reason to even bother watching, well Michelle Pfeiffer is a good reason to watch too) and these days I rarely watch the entire movie. However, the 1983 version is an iconic film, much more so, at least in the eyes of the general public, than the 1932 version.

As for the 1932 version...the alignment of celestial energies that have to occur before I'm in a mood to put up with a movie that old are so rare they rival Haley's Comet for appearances. So I've never finished it. But if I had to choose I'd go with 1983.

I'd rather watch Commando or Under Siege which are two of the greatest films ever made as far as I'm concerned. There are no amount of times that I could watch those two films that could ever be considered to many times!

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

yes.

Coricama likes this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The 1983 Scarface is an example of where a remake (or reimage, reboot, whatever) can be a very good thing. But lately it seems to usually be a lazy way to make sure a new film has name recognition. Don't get me wrong, I've liked some of them. But it feels like studios are saying, "OK, what haven't we remade yet?"

eddiel likes this.
  17. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

:mudscrying:Yet another movie for which we'll need to specify the year when referring to it.

18. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Fush Yu Mang.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  19. eddiel

I think it can feel like remake fatigue is setting in these days. The thing about the 1983 version is, it's rather iconic and remaking something that is still iconic in peoples minds, feels rather different to De Palma remaking a 1932 film in 1983, when most people likely didn't remember or even know the earlier film existed and hence never watched it.

I agree it does feel lazy and it is because it's easier to sell a known IP than trying to create a new one. What sounds better to studios, a Mexican moves to LA and becomes a gangster or a remake of Scarface but this time it's a Mexican in LA?

The article I read about the upcoming Magnum PI reboot said that the production company went through Universals list of IP to see what they could reboot. I imagine the same thing happens in the movie business.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It took me a minute....

21. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Hope they remember to have enough orange and teal in this one. We need more orange and teal!

22. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Why doesn't just remake E.T. and get it over with.

23. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Woah woah woah. You've got to build up to that. J.J. Abrams needs a break after Star Wars.

If anything, we should be asking for Space Balls II: The Search For More Money.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It's been 84 years, so it's about time. Wait? What other version?

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.