David Bowie "Who Can I Be Now ?(1974-1976)" / "The Gouster"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 21, 2016.

1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I'm making a joke that HDTracks' official tracklisting for the 192/24 set has a timestamp of 6:something for "Station to Station".

I'm now up to three downloads from HDTracks (192/24 twice and 96/24 once), and "Station to Station", in fact, is not 6 minutes for any of them. (Unfortunately, I got it into my head at some point that Nassau was on their 96/24 box. It is not. Whoops. However, different cover art on the two "Young Americans" songs - resulting in a 2MB difference in file size on two identical 05:13 songs. Is it because "The Gouster" is mostly black and white? I'm outta here like the Seinfeld "bet" episode.)

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Great that they used the uncensored doggy on Diamond Dogs cover art. This must be the very first LP since the early rare ones to use this un-retouched graphics.

3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Seems like Steve Martin didn't get the joke :).

Hey Steve, please revise your post. The STS download is just fine regardless of what the website says.

4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

No, he should NOT revise his posting. I have not downloaded any HDTracks version of the box on which the 6:something StS appeared in the list. This was some Franken-listing which appeared midweek only on the 192/24 set.

Someone could very well drop $100 and get an inexplicably-edited StS. (OMG! The super-exclusive 2016 HDTracks Mix!!! I'll trade ya!)

As I've posted upthread, my initial purchase of hi-res "Aladdin Sane" got me an album with 9 truncated tracks, including one which was 7 seconds long. Tomorrow is Friday. Perhaps mistakes will be corrected. Perhaps new stores will come online. But so far, whoever is the digital supplier in question needs to be slapped. Hard. And I need to go find a needledrop of Nassau.

5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Until someone downloads something other than 10:18 it's misleading. Has that happened?

At least he should note "Website lists incorrect time, subject to confirmation".

Anyway, my HDTracks 192/24 is just fine.

6. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

What source are you using for the Nassau needledrop?

7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I haz no sourcez. I need a t*rr*nt.

8. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I figured that, but are you looking for a boot or was it released officially on vinyl (I'm not sure) with a better mastering?

9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I bought and downloaded the 96/24 box tonight. Two songs were shorter in fact than the listing. Is that bad? Same? Worse? I don't know. They don't seem incomplete, consulting the historical record.

I wouldn't say to anybody "Go ahead. Pull the trigger. It'll be fine." "The Gouster" is still broke. The vendor's response is "No it's not."

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  10. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

The ryko/emi also had the offending parts, so they've been on view for anyone who cared to see for a while.

karmaman and Marc 74 like this.
  11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

To settle THIS question, the new box set book says the version on the current box was mixed in Feb. 2009. "Mastered by Brian Gardner at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood, CA"

Some people are saying the new vinyl is an actual listenable experience. I'm taking them at their word.

But then, I'm a man who will take audience recordings and lossy stuff over ... whatever this official release is.

12. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

David's first castration by the U.S. censors.

pobbard likes this.
  13. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

question: is the 2010 mix of station to station a 2016 remaster?

thanks.

14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Post-Blackstar, I watched NBC's official stream of "Boys Keep Swinging" from SNL in 1979.

I was shocked that they censored "Other boys check you out." Really? REALLY?!

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

And on SNL ????

16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I don't know if you're being funny, but I was just bowled over by the whole thing, I mean, you've got Klaus Nomi who spent his nights at the trucks in Chelsea, never even mind David friggin' Bowie. It was like a little time capsule from hell.

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That time David Bowie flashed a ***** during an SNL performance »

18. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

no

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think you need to temper your expectations. The RCA CD's hit a "sweet spot" for some older fans - they just sound right. I'm one of those that loves that sound, so I'm not expecting to like these new versions "better" than the RCA's. I've bought too many remastered versions of too many albums to expect otherwise.

However, as long as they aren't a compressed mess, the overall package, including box, book, Gouster and bonus tracks, make it a (perhaps borderline, but still) worthwhile purchase for me.

footprintsinthesand and karmaman like this.
  20. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

thank you.

21. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

just finished ripping the 'live nassau coliseum '67' CDs.

those two discs appear to be the same exact discs included with the station to station special edition. dbpoweramp actually had them as 'station to station' discs 2 and 3. both of them were also in accurate rip, which made them a tad quicker to rip.

22. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I am sure Bowie would love to have been playing Nassau Coliseum in 1967! :)

23. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Was this exactly as it was broadcast at the time?

OldSoul likes this.
  24. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

All of my vinyl were also perfect and I really liked "Diamond Dogs", which sounded great on my system.
    Too bad I didn't have more proper time yesterday to listen to any other..but Im definitely going to spin the albums from the boxset during the weekend and Im really waiting for it.

808_state likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Amazing thread. Almost 100 pages and no detailed comparison to orange RCAs???

:sweating::sweating::sweating:

sunspot42, Tombby and Turntable like this.