Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. TyroneSlothrop

TyroneSlothrop Forum Resident

That seems like a reasonable guess to me regarding Bristol. I'm a little disappointed since I wanted to hear Bristol's Desolation Row in top-notch quality. It's faster than usual. It sounds more similar to how he performed it in 1965 than any of the other '66 performances (except for that wispy '66 voice of course.)

asdf35 likes this.
  2. This was all discussed in a previous thread so I don't want to go too far down this particular rabbit hole here, but personally, I think there's a lot of validity to the idea that Dylan wasn't responding directly to the "Judas" comment. Scorsese's doc for one thing severely edits this sequence so there's a much shorter time interval between the comment and response than what actually occurred at the show. And though as others have said Dylan is the master of the "non-sequitur", this one just seems a little off base to me.

But rock mythology has built it up this way over the years, and so be it...

JL6161 likes this.
  3. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

while on the subject of judas: the little lick that precedes "you're a liar" is so well-timed you'd almost believe it's all staged, all part of the arrangement

4. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

Here it is at amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/1966-Live-Re...d=1475209889&sr=8-1&keywords=ASIN:+B01LXC8X05

5. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I have no inside knowledge, but they are not going to announce this set and then only press enough for sales for a few days.

If you want a copy, you'll have plenty of time to get your order in. They priced this to sell. If they only intended to sell a thousand copies of this on a limited basis the set would have been much more expensive...

6. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Andy Greene's (Rolling Stone) reply to one of my tweets: "The vast, vast majority sound great. They tucked the handful of audience ones at the end"

Sounds good to me :)

7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Hey, you could start new thread or perhaps comment these things on some more dedicated thread.
    Im sure there's interest concerning The Doors sessions and etc essential information.
    There was this one website (http://www.thedoorsguide.com/) which for some reason was shut-down, it provided plenty of info.

ash1 likes this.
  8. pillboxer

pillboxer Member

Agreed. I think the fan shouting after the Judas shout says something along the lines of "I'm never listening to Dylan ever again" and that's why Bob says "I don't believe you"

Thelonious_Cube and The Bard like this.
  9. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Birmingham should also be an interesting one, of which we have had NO TAPE previously.

"Bob Dylan is the greatest living poet since Dylan Thomas!"

Is this edited out on BS4? I can't remember. It's on the original tape & I think it's on 'Guitars Kissing' after the "Judas!" shout and almost IMMEDIATELY before Bob says "I don't believe you!". Guy in a very broad Yorkshire accent, obviously further from the mic than Mr. Judas, but probably louder in venue. I'm 100% sure that Bob is responding to that comment & not the Judas one.

If you haven't heard it go back and listen carefully, it will change your view on the whole 'Judas!' thing.

10. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Worth asking him if the tuning and talking was left in?

11. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I remember thinking just that, listening to a bootleg cassette of the show I bought from a stall in Camden in the mid 80s while I was at school. I don't think I'd read much commentary - if any - at the time, so the incident wasn't so legendary to me and I didn't really know what to expect. I knew instantly that I loved the music though. I also always heard Bob say 'you're a ****ing liar' - a far more dramatic outburst than 'play ****ing loud', and seeing it subtitled in NDH was a little like watching Greedo shoot first in the Star Wars special edition - an attempt to make the hero appear more rational.

Who knows what similar exchanges there might be on the other soundboards? We already know of a few from NDH, of which '...this is American music, now come on!' is my favourite, but perhaps there are other Judas! moments. I think he was genuinely surprised at how hostile the reactions were and also touched by the extent of betrayal felt; perhaps, ironically, this is why he's occasionally said that British audiences understand the music best - he's been through so much with them.

supermd and HominyRhodes like this.
  12. Mitchum

Mitchum Well-Known Member

I saw that he also posted that 5/27 is "Sensational". :agree:

Ask him if the Stage Banter(ie The Poets introduction) is still there.

EDLIS Café, IronWaffle and The Bard like this.
  13. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

@Buda @ash1 and everybody else that's interested in The Doors here.
    If you can, please inform me if anybody starts dedicated thread for The Doors sessions or if this discussion is continued in some The Doors thread.
    Thanks!

ash1 likes this.
  14. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident

Thanks guys, I'd forgotten I'd written that myself! I'm not ruling out a 1966 film, after all if his grandkids listen to the box set they'll sure as heck hear him being stoned, so why not let them see it too. I'm wondering if Sony will tease us with some promotional clips using unseen video. 23 hours of it is there all ready to go.

For now I will just glory in the knowledge that I will soon be able to hear how this most amazing tour builds to the two RAH shows. For that reason I'm going to try to listen to the gigs in order.

15. racingman11

racingman11 Forum Resident

They sold out the 5.000 units, but what about the 6 CD version ? It has already been discounted and is, as we speak, cheaper than the BS11 Complete. I imagine they have some stocks to sell.

On a business perspective it's a perfect example of cannibalization : The 18 CD sets cannibalized the 6 CD version. The people who didn't get the 18 CD version didn't buy the 6 CD version : the downloaded the 18 CD version. They aimed at three groups : Bob Maniacs with money (18 CD), Bob maniacs without money (6 CD), music lovers (2 CD). They just forgot that the Bob Maniacs without money were going to listen to the 18 CD version anyway...

I admit it's just a guess, but the fact thant this time they release 2 versions (with the big one being more reasonnable) prove that they are more realists. And if the release of the Cutting Edge was such a success they could this time have made a 36 CD version at 600$ with some leopard-skin memorabilia and film cells.

Except they did not.

16. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

It's there on the official release, but very quietly, behind some crowd noise. And for what it's worth I agree that he's responding to that comment (and I don't think it's Dylan that says 'Play fu***** loud!' either).

JL6161 and Mbd77 like this.
  17. The Bard

Done - will revert if I hear back ...

EDLIS Café and Mitchum like this.
  18. The Bard

and that nowadays, not all Bob Maniacs with money want a physical release (yes - I really wrote that)

EDLIS Café likes this.
  19. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Same.

:righton:

subtr likes this.
  20. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Thing is, although I'm sure NOBODY sees themselves as an 'historical figure' during their lifetime, Shakespeare, Picasso, Dylan etc...when your life work obtains some kind of global recognition and is documented, in Dylan's case both in audio and visual recordings, and from a young age, there's going to be stuff recorded that you regret or don't like with the power of hindsight when you're many years older. The compromise for any kind of success is that you become 'known' for it. He was a young man of 24/25 at the time. It is what it is & I'm sure his family would & should understand that.

zobalob and Lars1966 like this.
  21. pillboxer

pillboxer Member

Double same

Mbd77 likes this.
  22. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Actually there are some people who do fancy themselves to be historical figures, but are really egomaniacs who never actually make it.

Mbd77 likes this.
  23. EDLIS Café

EDLIS Café Forum Resident

My goodness, what do you create to sell!

5,000 seems a good market for many things. Including 18 CD sets. I would be pleased to see 5,000 of anything I did sell.

24. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I just sold 1000 telephones that don't ring.

25. Sorry, but while I agree with most of your post I think the assumption that the 6CD box was released solely as a concession to those who couldn't afford to spend £700 on a box set, is simply wrong. I could happily have bought two copies if I really wanted them and not had to think too much about it. The fact is that many people like me just didn't want the 18CD set. In fact if I was given it I would want to sell it, not keep it. It would be a waste of money and shelf space for me personally. There are hundreds of other things more important to me to spend my money on. However, (for the money) at least the 6CD set provides arguably the best and most concise overview of the sessions and is not a ridiculous slog for many Dylan fans of any age to enjoy. If the 18CD set had been released 30 years ago when my interest in Dylan was at its peak I still wouldn't have bought it. The 6CD set is more than enough for me - the 2CD set would probably never feel sufficient.

bobcat, muddy810, glewes and 2 others like this.