Star Trek: Beyond (July 22, 2016)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by music and movies, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Clarke and Kubrick worked on the script and novel together. It was a joint effort, not exclusively Clarke's intellectual property. And I don't believe the novel was released until after the film was already in theaters. I'm not familiar the legalities as they stand now, however.

2. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

I saw Beyond on opening night and liked it. I read through this thread last week, noting the common complaint about not being able to keep up with the action (or rather, that it was poorly shot and edited), then went back again to see the movie for a second time. After the second viewing, I love the movie. I laughed, I got teary-eyed, I got chills. Not much more you can ask from a movie. While watching it, I paid particular attention to the action scenes to see if I could notice what was apparently so wrong with them. I couldn't. I found them all easy to follow, and thought they were rather well done. So a big shrug from me on that front.

I will agree with the consensus that the villain could have used some more fleshing out. Here's hoping the blu-ray will have some extra footage in that regard.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I'd rate it 5/10.
    Sorry I'm hard to please.
    Simon Pegg/Scotty got the girl, kudos.
    Mind you Pegg wrote the script. :)

4. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

3001 has been in the works at SyFy for a few years.

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I stand by Pegg....
    must've been quite a chore, since he IS a 'fan-boy'...

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just watched this. What a tired, dull Star Trek film. Just pure generic Star Trek. What happened to the reboot aspect of this series? The only thing they rebooted for this film is the same cliche plots every Star Trek film gets hung on. Generic Super bad guy attacks. Wants powerful thing the Enterprise has. Crew in danger. Lots of running and blasting as Kirk tries to save them. I kept waiting for Ricardo Monteban or a Klingon to shows up -- it treads such familiar ground. A complete chore to sit through if you demand more than brain-dead Star Trek sci-fi. It's just boring and mindless. The script sank this starship. You'd have to be ten years old to find this even worthy of the promise of Abrams reboot. Even Spock's wig looks like it came from a Goodwill bin. This film is about a hundred miles away from JJ Abram's exciting first film. I think it's time to reboot the series again, because Star Trek Beyond shows the series is already running out of steam. Wow, how awful.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    John Moschella and Rubber65 like this.
  7. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Trek belongs on the small screen, and I hope the new series proves that.

dkmonroe, Ghostworld and Deesky like this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I disagree. In my opinion, the best incarnations of Trek have been the films. Wrath of Khan blows away anything in any of the series.

9. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

You CANNOT be serious.

City On The Edge Of Forever; The Inner Light; Darmok; All Good Things; The Devil In The Dark; Mirror, Mirror; Far Beyond The Stars; In The Pale Moonlight; The Corbomite Maneuver; The Cage; Children Of Time; Scorpion ... I could go on.

None of the films are in the same league. None of them.

10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Again, I disagree. Most of the films are superior to the episodes you mentioned. Some of those episodes are very good, but none of them compare to to most of the films, especially Wrath of Khan.

Edit: With the possible exception of All Good Things, my favorite Star Trek episode and far superior to any of the Next Generation movies.

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Star Trek could be great on the big screen, but too often it's weighted down by formulaic, poor scriptwriting. It's become such an institution, such a comfy chair of cliche, that the adventure is drained all out of it. They're too busy trying to tick all the "blockbuster" boxes that they miss that the whole thing about Star Trek is story.

Deesky, jriems, Meng and 1 other person like this.
  12. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Spot on, sir.

dkmonroe likes this.
  13. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

My guess is we won't have to worry about films for awhile because this one effectively tanked at the box office. The writing is on the wall, I'm betting they regret green lighting the fourth installment so quickly. The only thing that will keep it on the schedule is if there is more involvement from JJ Abrams, as right now in the eyes of Hollywood he can do no wrong.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

There will be a fourth film. It will just have a smaller budget. Beyond didn't do quite as well as expected due to its budget. Star Trek has never been a blockbuster franchise.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

AND this has apparently been a terrible summer for the movie business, too.

Uh, yeah, people still say this about Into Darkness, and it outperformed what Beyond has done so far. :shrug:

Encuentro likes this.
  16. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I'll say again I quite enjoyed it. It's not a movie I'd rush back to see again, but I don't feel I wasted my ticket price. I can't say that about some of the other Trek movies.

John K.

Dr. Pepper and Encuentro like this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Into Darkness is the highest grossing of the franchise but still didn't approach Guardians of the Galaxy or Avengers type numbers. Star Trek just isn't that kind of franchise which is why they will probably go with a much smaller budget next time around. After The Motion Picture, they went with a smaller budget for Wrath of Khan, and that worked out pretty well for them.

18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I enjoyed it too. I didn't rush out to see it again, but I'll be getting it in on Blu-Ray. I'm probably going to be getting the three movie collection since I don't have the other films on Blu-Ray.

19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I loved it really, was very pleased with it. Probably the best of the three. The second was way way way to derivative and cute by half! The first had a lot of ground to cover, but did a pretty splendid job of it.

Encuentro likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Now that Beyond has tanked at the box office, Paramount is back to suing Axanar for damages, despite earlier comments by JJ. I guess they have to make a profit somehow. :rolleyes:

21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The lawsuit was never dropped. It turned out that J.J. misspoke. It really doesn't matter much, as one really has nothing to do with the other. There is no way that some fan film is ever going to come close to competing with a major studio effort. The Axanar folks should just drop it already. It isn't their intellectual property. They don't have a leg to stand on.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They may not have a leg to stand on, but from what I've seen, I'd much rather watch Axanar than any of the nuTrek atrocities.

Meng likes this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Well, it's your right to feel that way. If Axanar comes to fruition, I'll be more than happy to watch it. After all, I put some money into it back. But at this point, they should take the same route that the Renegades folks took and turn their production into a non-Star Trek production. If they think they have a decent story to tell, they should tell it. If the owners of the property don't want you to use their property, that should be the end of the story. No, legally speaking, Star Trek does not belong to the fans. It belongs to CBS/Paramount, and Alec Peters should respect that.

24. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I watched this 'blind' (avoiding as many details/reviews as I could).

I'm glad I didn't go to the theater for this. It felt like too much Star Wars was added to the mix. I was waiting for a lightsaber to show up right in the first sequence.
    Bits of music were too close as well. I could almost hear Luke's Force theme several times. Inside the station shots as well as the ship battle sounds reminded me too much of Episode II.

I did enjoy the story much more than Into Darkness. It did seem a bit predictable that they would lose the ship in yet another movie,:laugh: but this really had something interesting. Not on par with other other films & TV episodes, but still decent.
    I appreciated the nice touch regarding Spock's passing & seeing the original crew's photo was nice as well.

This really wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't all that great. The ending felt like they put a bow on it just in case there isn't another.
    I'm glad I still have half of the TNG blu ray box to watch. :D

An afterthought: Did Simon Pegg squeeze a Sisters Of Mercy reference into this?
    I'm familiar with most of their stuff but didn't catch anything.

25. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Sorry but I just can't call worldwide box office at $336 million a tank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.