Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

It does seem to fly under the radar a bit. George Mraz and Al Foster are both really good on this date. Apparently recorded on JCs 71st birthday.

Six String likes this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

If you use them, check the three available on cdjapan.co.jp as CTI Supreme Series Blu-Spec CDs for about 10 bucks each.

Right now I'm listening to the third of the three I got from Japan Saturday.

[​IMG]

Stu02, Joti Cover, SteelyTom and 2 others like this.
  3. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Miles Davis, Miles in the Sky (UDSACD 2147, 1968/2016)

This may not be one of the most popular Miles albums, but it is one of my favourites. I love the somewhat understated use of electric instruments here. Of course, this is not as radical a departure from the "classic" Miles sound as the considerably more celebrated albums that followed, but an interesting deviation all the same.

DTK, Starwanderer, lschwart and 4 others like this.
  4. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Benny GoodmanBig Band in Europe — Yale Recordings, Vol. 3 (MusicMasters)
    — With Billy Hodges, E.V. Perry, John Frosk, Taft Jordan / Rex Peer, Vernon Brown, Willie Dennis / Al Block, Ernie Mauro, Seldon Powell, Zoot Sims, Gene Allen / Sir Roland Hanna, Billy Bauer, Arvell Shaw, Roy Burnes / Jimmy Rushing, Ethel Ennis; 1958

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, rockinlazys and Lonson like this.
  5. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

I hadn't seen them before either. Took a while to find images. Good playing and soloing.

6. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

I missed this one. Might need to look for it.

BluTom likes this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have always liked Miles In The Sky, mainly because of it being that transition period between acoustic and electric. I think I like it as much as the titles that preceded it. It really comes down to mood or environment for my preference.

Crispy Rob, Rodney Toady and Lonson like this.
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Paul Desmond - Bossa Antigua (RCA) black stereo pressing w/Nipper.

NP Paul Desmond - First Place Again (Warner Bros.) black on gold label.
    I don't see the gold label very often. Paul Desmond makes great early morning music for my ears. Nothing too jarring but melodically interesting.

9. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Miles DavisMiles in Berlin (Columbia/Legacy)
    — With Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams; includes one bonus track; live at the Berlin Philharmonie

[​IMG]

This was one Shorter's first gig with the Miles and the "Second Quintet" rhythm section - 9/25/64.

10. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

Ben Webster See You At the Fair

Or as I sometimes call it, "While Ben's Sax Gently Weeps"

Ben essentially created his own fuzz pedal for the sax with his technique.

11. Thanks, I'll hop on the subway this weekend, it's only 35 mins from where I live to the main Jazz Tokyo store..:righton:

jeffsjazz and Lonson like this.
  12. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Nice Walton trio date on Timeless, one of my favorite labels

[​IMG]

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

The great 1961 date in Germany on this disc.

[​IMG]

15. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Wadada Leo Smith- The Great Lakes Suites (TUM Records)
    [​IMG]
    Disc 2.

16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Paul Chambers - Bass On Top, Japan CP32

[​IMG]

Great sounding disc, average DR 13/14. Continuing to enjoy my dynamic headphone setup with HD600 headphones and Torpedo 3 amp. So much cheaper than the large Stax headphone setup but doesn't give up that much. Too late to listen to the speakers loud.

And now from the Sun Ra Art In a Yard box, disc 3 On Jupiter

[​IMG]

17. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

How does the Blu-spec version sound? Just about to pull the trigger on it myself (though trying to decide between Quartet and Moon Germs).

The only Farrell CTI recording I have now is Outback, an amazing album.

18. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Kenny Drew "Undercurrent" (AudioWave XRCD)

Drew- Piano
    Freddie Hubbard - Trumpet
    Hank Mobley - Tenor sax
    Sam Jones - Bass
    Louis Hayes - Drums

Great band. Another terrific prestation from Freddie Hubbard but I always loved the rythmic section of Jones and Hayes on those tracks. Fine album.

[​IMG]

19. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Keith Jarrett "Mysteries" (Impulse MCAD 33113)

Jarrett - Piano
    Dewey Redman - Saxophone
    Charlie Haden - Bass
    Paul Motian - Drums

Recorded in October 1976, one of Jarrett's American Quartet's finest hour.

[​IMG]

20. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Larry Ochs' Fictive Five is my favorite recent release - with Ochs & Wooley on sax/trumpet the dual bassists provide as invigorating a background along with a strong performance by Harris Eisenstadt in drums.

Pascal Niggenkemper (the more unique abstract voice) & Ken Filiano are the bassists. Incredible sound quality. Ochs 90% tenor - only a small amount on sopranino saxophone. For me Nate Wooley is the best trumpeter playing today and this is the jazz version - he plays a decent amount of electronic and more abstract avant-garde non- jazz stuff.

This recording is certainly jazz based but not daddy's jazz.

alankin1 and Starwanderer like this.
  21. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I've been exploring Wadada Leo Smith's more recent work over the past few months. I haven't gotten to the Great Lakes set yet, but tonight I've been enjoying the hell out of this set of duets with Ed Blackwell (recorded in 1986, but released just a few years ago):

The Blue Mountain's Sun Drummer - Wadada Leo Smith and Ed Blackwell - Kabell Records / A-Train »

The amazing thing about this for me, personally, is that it was recorded at the Brandeis University radio station when I was actually in grad school there. I attended several of these "The Joint" radio show sessions during those years, but I somehow missed this one! Glad it showed up on disk!

L.

22. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Sam Jones is, to use a massively overused word, massively underrated. :D

To wit:

Under his leadership:

The Soul Society
    The Chant
    Down Home

With Blue Mitchell:

A Sure Thing
    Blue Soul
    Out of the Blue (also features Mr. PC)
    Blue's Moods

With Johnny Griffin:

The Little Giant

All top-shelf releases.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I just got home from a nice performance by some of our top jazz sextet playing a hardbop show loosely themed around Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. They did some other tunes not associated with Blakey like Pensativa by Clare Fischer, a couple of Woody Shaw tunes, Monk's Ruby My Dear with a great tenor sax solo that really had me following his lines because he kept choosing notes I didn't expect so I was really focussing on what he was playing. It's not often I have that kind of experience with an old chestnut like Ruby My Dear but tbere you go. That's the great thing about jazz.

NP Chet Baker Memories in Tokyo (King)
    It has quickly become my go to for my Chet fix.

Stu02 and Soulpope like this.
  24. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Miles Davis, On the Corner (UDSACD 2171, 1972/2016)

I wonder if this could be classified as "ambient" jazz, the ambience being the hustle and bustle of a busy street corner? On the Corner doesn't really work as background music, though. This requires concentration to keep up with the ebb and flow; if the listener is "there" in full alert to catch the sweeping sonic waves at the very moment they hit, one is in for quite a ride. Could I perhaps call this "surf" jazz?

Starwanderer and rxcory like this.
  25. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]
    2014 Rhino/Atlantic/HDtracks 96/24 mono mix

Recorded in one day, February 4th '59 at Atlantic Studios, NYC

There's nothing much I can add to this, other than to say I love this album and the mono mix. The slathering of saxophones is always great to hear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]