Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

You took the bait! :)

Thanks for the list. I was wondering if you were having to count live material as "unreleased" and it looks like you are - fair enough!

theMess likes this.
  2. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Add the following to the list and it can be done without including any live albums!

2002 - Inside Thing (Let 'Em In) - with Lulu

3. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

Oh, okay thanks! The only jewel case version I'd seen before is a standard jewel case version at my library. Now what that is... ;)

theMess likes this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Yes, and we can ditch ECCE if we include a couple of the duets Paul did that year (Tony Bennett, Benson/Jarreau). :)

theMess, Mr. Explorer, Eska68 and 3 others like this.
  5. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Back in 1993 I thought this was the most unimaginative reissue series ever......still think that.....yuck!

6. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

This whole Archive thing has been a major disappointment.

Mumbojunk likes this.
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Including classical and live albums, Paul had a pretty good run of having a release every year, 2005-2013. Or better yet, skipping no more than one year, 1997-2013*. Alas, that has come to an end. 2016 will be the driest year in a long time for Paul releases. But he's still clearly active, so that's a good sign (pun intended?)

*(Although that one is a bit suspect, as I'm counting Back In The World for 2003, with 2004 being the skip year. And quite a skip year, with Tropic Island Hum and the Animation DVD being his only release! 2003 wasn't a major year either, with mostly live stuff, including Back In The World, Concert For George, etc, and then the In-Laws soundtrack with two archival titles)

theMess likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Forget this century. How about in his whole career starting from 1962? What other years has there never been one single release from Macca? Of course, the Beatles had a release in every year of the 1960s (staring with 1962). And I think that Paul released something in every year of the 1970s. But did he miss a year (or years) in the 1980s or 1990s?

theMess likes this.
  9. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I dont understand what Concord is doing. They have the rights to McCartney until 30 June 2017 so why wouldnt they just push out as much product as they can between now and then? Even if they are upset by Macca leaving, they are a business and should be trying to maximise revenue. And its a simple equation - no release means no revenue. Has Capitol paid Concord to hold off? Is that even legal?

So I happened to be at my local store last week and bought the 1993 re-issue of FITD for $10. Its got 4 b-sides that aren't on my LP, and it sounds fine - it doesn't need a remaster imho. Sure it doesn't have the Paul/Elvis demos, but I reckon I might just have enough Macca records to keep me foing until July 2017.

10. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Going from memory here as I'm not near my usual source of info, but wasn't 1981 a year with no release (of a major kind anyway, perhaps something a bit obscure slipped out)?

theMess and Paul H like this.
  11. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Not to me, it hasn't. And I suspect not to McCartney either. Better mastering of the main album and singles tracks, better fidelity releases of bootlegged material, previously unreleased material, heaps of new photos and recording information, new interviews with key figures and fabulous presentation. For McCartney, a positive reappraisal of his catalogue and more sales than these albums have managed in 20 years. I'd say the only downside was that the bonus tracks weren't as generous as we'd like but, against all the positives, I think that's quite a narrow viewpoint.

12. Paul H

Because McCartney owns the rights to his catalogue. His deal with Concord (and all labels since the 1970s) is purely for distribution and marketing. So if MPL refuses to give Concord something to release, they have nothing to release. They can't just issue whatever they want.

13. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

While McCartney did not release a song by himself in 1981 there were nevertheless two brand new McCartney originals coming out that year:
    "Private Property" and "Attention" by one Richard Starkey (from his 1981 Album "Stop And Smell The Roses").

14. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

They are pretty boring to look at. It was a rush job, that's for sure. At the time though, it was a nice way to get lot of bonus tracks on CD... But yeah, not a lot of effort involved.

Wings Greatest got a remaster, but NOT All the Best?!? No bonus tracks on McCartney or Tug of War either. (I can understand McCartney, but Tug of War?!?)

Wingsfan2012 and Carlox like this.
  15. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

80 - McCartneyII
    81 - ?
    82 - Tug of War
    83 - Pipes of Peace
    84 - Broad Street
    85 - ? <edit> Spies Like Us
    86 - Press to Play
    87 - Once Upon a Long Ago
    88 - Choba B CCCP
    89 - Flowers in the Dirt
    90 - Tripping the Live Fantastic
    91 - Unplugged / Oratorio
    92 - Hope of Deliverance (In the UK)
    93 - Off the Ground / Paul is Live / Strawberries Oceans ect...
    94 - ?
    95 - Free as a Bird / Real Love (Do these count?) / A Leaf
    96 - ?
    97 - Greatest album ever made
    98 - Rushes
    99 - Run Devil Run / Working Classical
    00 - Liverpool Sound Collage

Can someone fill in the gaps on the years with nothing?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    theMess, Bemagnus and Arnold Grove like this.
  16. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

1985 - Spice Like Us single

theMess and For the Record like this.
  17. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

"Real Love" was released in 1996, and of course it counts. :)

And add "Live at the BBC" for 1994.

theMess and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  18. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

And for 1981, add the live album "Concerts for the People of Kampuchea".

19. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Well, here we are, about 4 hours max away from being pretty much 100% certain of whether or not we are getting this set this year.

I'll be quite relieved once it's all over!

20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

I don't see why today has to be the "deadline" for announcing a fall release. Today is eight weeks before "Black Friday" for holiday shopping. Music release announcements can be anywhere from four weeks to several months in advance. I'm not really expecting anything at this point either, but there's nothing special about today that closes the door on 2016.

theMess, supermd, daveidmarx and 2 others like this.
  21. Arnold Grove

So it looks like Paul has released something in every year since 1962. Wow, that would be amazing if 2016 turns out to end that streak.

theMess likes this.
  22. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Pure McCartney and Live At The Hollywood Bowl.

theMess, Skywheel and Arnold Grove like this.
  23. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

I guess Pure McCartney doesn't count? "Hope For The Future" made its debut on CD; "We All Stand Together" got its first official release in the U.S. Not much, I know. How about the "1985" remixes?

theMess and Paul H like this.
  24. Arnold Grove

I wouldn't include Pure McCartney as there was nothing new on that compilation.

BUT I guess we have to count the Hollywood Bowl CD because it has 4 "new" bonus tracks.

So the streak continues...

25. Paul H

I think it's harsh to ignore the five 1985 remixes we've had.

theMess, daveidmarx and Wingsfan2012 like this.