Most disappointing collaborations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbone828, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

The Beach Boys and The Fat Boys.
    ;)

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  2. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Ramones and Phil Spector - even though the project probably was doomed from the start; from a purely theoretical standpoint this could have produced something more substantial than End of the Century. Not that it's bad, but it surely is not great, and Ramones are supposed to be Great, with a capital "G".

DTK and quakerparrot67 like this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Danny Says, Rock n roll high school, do you remember rock n roll radio and Chinese rocks are amongst the Ramones best tracks.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  4. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Perhaps so, but I wouldn't think Spector brought any extra magic to these or any other tracks on the album, except of course for Baby I Love You which I wouldn't say is among the best Ramones tracks.

5. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

[​IMG]

Yuck, that song should be erased from her discography.

6. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Atoms for Peace

Kyle G likes this.
  7. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Just about anything involving Stevie Wonder.

8. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

Axl Rose and friends

9. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

Heresy!!! :eek:
    :)

AnalogJ and Musician95616 like this.
  10. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident

Lennon - Bowie "Across the Universe"

11. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

Lennon - Harrison - Ono: "Revolution 9"

12. mfp

mfp Senior Member

:eek::confused:o_O:tsk::crazy::wtf::faint::doh::nyah:

mr._mojo_filter likes this.
  13. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Not sure about Mirror Ball but I think live it was one of the best collaborations ever.

14. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

15. Fab Four Revolution

Fab Four Revolution Forum Resident

I see this quoted all the time, often with "Freddie was doing cocaine in the studio and Michael didn't like it" (or to that effect). What actually happened was that both Michael and Freddie were simply far too busy to make time for another studio session. Michael called up Freddie later on and said he needed to finish State of Shock for the next Jacksons album, Freddie was in Munich and couldn't come over and gave his permission to be replaced by Mick Jagger. Freddie himself states this here, at around 1:15:

It's sad though, he expressed interested in finishing those songs with Michael but it seems their paths rarely crossed afterwards. I like their version of State of Shock, I'd like to see it released someday. Victory too, in fact I'm quite fascinated by that song because it's never released or leaked in any capacity yet. It'd be an entirely new song from Michael and Freddie essentially! As for TMBMTLTT, I recall the mix wasn't popular in the MJ fanbase either. It was extremely underwhelming and I think they used an alternative take of Michael's vocals, one that was inferior to what had leaked previously (I've heard some snippets somewhere of Michael's vocals that were better than what ended up on the Orbit mix, but I believe it was an earlier take and he ad-libbed the odd line or two). It was just a bad mix all around really.

Really hoping they release the mix that May and Taylor did eventually, I'm sure they did it justice. They also need to actually release it as a single if they want it to get anywhere, rather than restrict it as an Unstreamable/"Album Only" track.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    JohnnyQuest likes this.
  16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I am a huge Earle fan and have seen him many times but this just didn't do anything for me.

Judge Judy likes this.
  17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

No contest for me:

Dylan and the Dead :shake:

Another semi-missed opportunity is Bing Crosby and David Bowie, "The Little Drummer Boy".

Bowie almost drowns Bing out -- they must have rehearsed this (knowing Bing, probably a bunch of times), why did Bowie sing so much louder during the performance?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  18. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Great playing but awful forgettable song-writong. Live shows from the tour I've heard were great though.

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Agreed. They had nothing in common musically really. But it was good for BB's career.

dbone828 likes this.
  20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I thought the songs were mostly good. Neil's not made a whole album of equal quality as regards songwriting since, that and Broken Arrow were the last ones he could be arsed.

Judge Judy likes this.
  21. woodface

woodface Forum Resident

U2 and Mary J Blige "one"
    Phil Collins and Led Zeppelin - Live Aid
    Bob Dylan and the children's choir on "they killed him"

dbone828 and DTK like this.
  22. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Christ, most of the people on those deadly Johnny Cash albums. Fiona Apple and Joe Strummer spring to mind.

WayOutWardell and Judge Judy like this.
  23. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I think Starship counts as a collaboration between Mickey Thomas from The Elvin Bishop Group and of course Grace Slick, so the net result of the spectacularly awful We Built This City has to be mentioned here even if by that point expectations regarding Grace were not, to say the least, high.

But yeah, Starship, We Built This City. Ugh.

24. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

What I heard was Neil showed up with dirt-simple tunes, he wanted spontaneous musical combustion, and presented Pearl Jam with the simplest frameworks possible. The group never heard any of it in advance, it was just "this ones in G, C and D, ROLL TAPE" or something to that effect.

Most disappointing collaboration for me was Little Village. Except for one groovy tune, Dont Bug Me When I'm Working, that was a ho-hum affair.

25. Smxx777

Smxx777 Forum Resident

Funny that my favorite artists recorded together some stuff that I really don't appreciate:

Lennon/Bowie - Across The Universe (I totally love all 1968 versions, but not this one)
    RHCP/Elton John - Sick Love (it sounds like a "Bennie & The Jets" rip-off)
    Paul McCartney/Gerry Marsden - Ferry Cross the Mersey (I totally love the 1964 original, but not this one)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.