Mr. Robot

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dok, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Season 1 Mr. Robot TV show on USA: ratings (cancel or renew?) »

vs

Season 2 Mr Robot TV show on USA: ratings (cancel or season 3?) »

It's interesting that the drop in viewers began in Season 1 almost immediately and continued until the end of S02.

However, this article says that 2.25m people watched S02E01 once the delayed viewing figures came in. Although it does say that over all it was 4% down on the last ep of Season 1.

So I have no idea what the figures actually are!

To your point about asking the audience to pay attention to every minute detail...this is a big ask. I'm not an expert but I think shows that do this but also offer something for those that can't or won't do that can do better.

I was saying to my friend at work that sometimes I feel like I'd be better of consuming this show via binge watching so that things are fresher in my mind when watching the next ep rather than waiting another week. But the discussion during that week can be entertaining so...

Vidiot and Deesky like this.
  2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I don't mind that the viewer has to pay attention to details. We now have the freedom to pause, rewind, watch again. Or to watch the entire episode or series again to get more insight. I can appreciate shows like this that don't hand you everything on a platter. Sometimes you have to connect the dots yourself. Also, I am not a real fan of binge watching. Some shows need some time to absorb and think through. Rummage through the possible paths and scenarios. When I watch back to back episodes it is for series that have that "OK, I am sitting here - Entertain me!" plot mentality. Similar to LOST which I watched week to week before I had a DVR or the season boxsets. However with LOST when I connected the dots it created a picture just as frustrating at times! :)

JimW and eddiel like this.
  3. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I don't mind paying attention to details if there is a payoff at some point (presumably within that season!).
    Unfortunately, I spent a lot of time paying attention to things in s2 & was left with azur sphericals at the end.

Deesky, stereoptic and eddiel like this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I binge watched Season 1 for the most part since I missed it the first time around. I couldn't stop myself from watching the next ep, but I did because I have a job! I did miss the discussion though. I don;t have time to re-watch TV shows like I once did, especially once like this that command your attention, so the discussions between shows really does ad to the experience for me. Annoyingly, the only other person at work who watched it couldn't keep up this year. Bloody kids and husbands getting in the way! :)

As for Lost...your patience is greater than mine. I bailed early on. Enjoyed S01 though.

stereoptic likes this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I have to apologise for my atrocious spelling (and some grammar). Ad instead of add, once instead of ones. I blame Miss McCarthy my grade 5 teacher. She gave me a most improved in spelling award and it went straight to my head! I stopped trying after that.

6. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Holy Nielsen, Batman, don't give up on your watchership yet. A run through the Batcomputer should yield clues to this baffling, bungling, Burgermeister. Just make sure that dastardly felon doesn't Bat-hack us. You don't have something easy like Batuzi for your Bat-password do you?

As you've reminded the Boy Wonder often, patience is a virtue. Don't sweat the small stuff; that's for repeated viewings. Just follow the felon and don't get lost in his fractured psyche. Before it ends, the clues will appear and the real machinations will be plain to see. Stay the course, Caped Crusader; if Batman can't figure it out, what hope do the rest of us hold???

stereoptic, jpelg and etzeppy like this.
  7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Is it just me or did this show completely lose its way in season two? I watched the first season a couple of months ago and loved it. It seemed to catch the spirit of the times pretty effectively and the showrunners had a clear idea of what they were building up towards, but now it feels like they painted themselves into a corner and they had no idea where to go next. I'm halfway through the second season and I can barely make it through. There's no clear sense of forward momentum to the story. Seeing Elliot playing chess with himself in a continual stalemate leading nowhere seems like an apt metaphor for what's happened to the show. It's been so bad that it almost makes me wonder what I liked about the show in the first place. The characters all seem flat and cold, not three dimensional or engaging. The dialog is so stilted, as are the interactions between the characters. Last night, I found myself groaning and rolling my eyes, particularly looking at his sister--dolled up in her impeccable revolutionary chic--and her pampered group of hackers, the most unbelievable band of anarchist radicals I've ever seen.

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The second season had two more episodes than the first but only half as much story (if that). It did pick up in the back stretch though.

kwadguy likes this.
  9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Hope it's better than S02

Silken, Deesky, BlueGangsta and 5 others like this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, me too, but I'm at the point of dropping it. I really don't see it improving given the 'universe' it's created for itself and the general dullness of the characters and the narrative.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Bit of a bummer it's premiering in October. I was hoping for the summer so I had something to watch. :)

I'm still in as I want to see this till the end. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much longer than can keep this interesting. Originally I thought this would be 2 season storyline but we're going into season 3 and 10 eps. I recon if it wasn't as successful as it is, they would've written S02 as the end but we're going into season 3 now. I'm not saying the series should end, but rather the story line. If they can go in another direction with a different story line I'll still give it a chance. But I really hate it when they just drag things on and on and on.

stereoptic likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You have to be a real propeller-head to get this, but it made me laugh...

[​IMG]

The show returns on October 11th on the USA Network.

14. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I've missed it badly this Summer.

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just finished 3.0 WOW!!!

16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I KNOW, right?

Lownote30 and Scope J like this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Like others, I loved Season 1 but 2 flat out sucked.

Ill have to recover before I start 3.

18. Silken

Silken Forum Resident

This:
    I didn't even bother to start season 3.

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

20. vince

All that tension, and i don't even know if they succeeded!

Scope J likes this.
  21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Damn!

intense ep.!!!

22. vince

Was it 'commercial-free' when it aired?

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They have dropped a couple of big bombshells in the most recent episodes. Unfortunately, nobody's watching: the ratings are down to a .3, which is roughly equal to a Pittsburgh Paints infomercial at 3AM.

24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Don't know about first airing,
    i watched it from the USA app.
    on my Roku, there were ads.

25. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yes.

A great episode.

trumpet sounds and vince like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.