Suicidal Tendencies - World Gone Mad

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theshape, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theshape

theshape Forum Resident Thread Starter

Didn't see any other threads concerning the newest Suicidal Tendencies album, only did a quick search though. Anyway, I just finished listening to it this morning, and it's already one of my favorites from 2016! Really good songwriting, imo.

I figured it would just be a continuance of where they were at with "13", which was okay. But, I feel they put much more into "World Gone Mad", by a long shot. Some material even reminded me of their 90's albums. Which I think is a good thing, cuz variety is always a plus.

My only quibble would be difficulty hearing the kick drums on a few songs. Outside of that, great album! \m/

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Turns out Lights . . . Camera . . . Revolution! was the last thing I got from them. Any other goodies after that besides the new one?

3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Dave Lombardo on drums! I picked this up, but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Happy that Best Buy had it in store.

punkmusick and theshape like this.
  4. The Hud

I really like "Art of Rebellion" and "Suicidal For Life".

5. theshape

I dig something from each album! Well worth checking out, imo! If cds are your thing, many of their 90's releases can be found for $5 or less. \m/

Brenald79 and Pinknik like this.
  6. rabarbar

rabarbar Forum Resident

Rocky George - underestimated - one of the greatest guitarists. I still remember his solos. It was magic.

7. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Good call out on this one! Agree there's a lot of variety on this effort. Really like the mix, all instruments are clear. Good performances too. I would not have expected such an album, myself.

8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yes, The Art Of Rebellion (1992) and Suicidal For Life (1994). Both are underrated, particularly SFL. I remember many reviews at the time gave it poor scores like 1/5 stars, ragging on the use of swear words in titles of the first 6 songs on the album. I think it's classic early 90s ST, great songs, lyrics, production - especially Robert's bass, Rocky George guitar solos, ect. Both worth getting. Looking forward to the new album tonight.

theshape, The Hud and Pinknik like this.
  9. The Hud

Couldn't agree more. I wish he was still in the band.

10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I'd also add Still Cyclo After All These Years from 1993 which is a re-recording of the S/T debut, a few songs from Join The Army, and a new song with the 1990-1995 lineup. Again, hugely underrated. And the 3 Infectious Grooves CDs from 1991, 1993, and 1994. Some goofy songs and interludes on those IG albums but many great songs that are like Suicidal Tendencies-light with funkier bass.

11. The Hud

I came back here to nominate "Still Cyco After All These Years" as well. I am ashamed of myself for forgetting it. I will also second the recommendation on Infectious Grooves. "The Plague That Makes You Groove...It's The Infectious Grooves", "Sarsippius' Ark", and "Groove Family Cyco" are all great--Groove Family Cyco being my favorite. Cyco Miko "Lost My Brain...(Once Again)" is also good.

12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

He's not? Where the heck have I been?

Edit: wow.....1995. I have been out of the loop! I saw him with ST a few years earlier opening for Queensryche

theshape likes this.
  13. The Hud

I saw him with ST opening for Metallica when they were supporting "Live ****", probably in 1995. I got lucky to see him and Robert with ST before they both left.

johnny q and theshape like this.
  14. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I picked this up on CD on Saturday. Top 10 2016 release for me. Really good stuff.

Brenald79 and theshape like this.
  15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Picked this CD in November during the frenzy of new releases. Haven't listened to as much as the Testament and Metallica but probably in top 5 for me.

16. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Just seen Suicidal open up for Megadeth recently they did a couple of tunes off World Gone Mad its on my to get list.

The Hud and theshape like this.
  17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I love this interview from 1999 where Mike Muir says they chucked a bunch of metal CDs out the window driving on the freeway after their then label Nuclear Blast Records gave some albums of other metal bands on the label, and said people get beat up for listening to that stuff where they're from.

CoC:
    With your label, you've come back after quite a while and you're on Nuclear Blast, certainly in Europe I believe, which seemed to me like an unusual label, simply because Nuclear Blast began as a death metal label and that's the way I've known it. I was wondering why you chose them and I was also wondering what you thought of the interesting fact that other old bands like yourselves, who've come back, have signed to Nuclear Blast -- well, SoD have come back, and Manowar are signed to Nuclear Blast.

MM: Well, first of all we didn't sign to the label, there's no label that we signed to, the only label we signed to, like I said, is in Japan -- we're on EMI. The whole thing is, we weren't going to sign to any label, we're not going to be on any label but our own. Basically the deal is they're distributing the record, they're buying the records from us and stuff and basically to make a long story short: in America, that's where we have the most control, we know exactly what we want to do, other places you can't, we're not there, we can't follow it up as much. And basically with them [Nuclear Blast] it's because there's one guy who's ****in' hounded us for two years and to be quite honest I never would be on a label like that, there's not one record on that label I would listen to, I ****in' hate heavy metal, I hate whatever that other stuff is they call.

CoC: Death metal? Black metal? Which metal? <I laugh>

MM: Whatever it is, all I gotta say is we've got a song called "Hippy Killer" and everybody should hear it. So, basically, I'm not afraid to go in front of the enemy, you know what I mean. <laughs> **** it, you know. <Laughing as he begins> I told the guy and all those dudes [at Nuclear Blast], "There ain't one record..." -- they gave us a bunch of records and we threw 'em all out the window. It was like we were driving down the freeway, we put it on, heard it, threw it out, try the next one, throw it out <I laugh very loud>, so we said as far as we're concerned everything on there is garbage and people get beat up if they listen to that stuff where we're from. <I laugh again> So, they know, they know we think it sucks.

CoC : Suicidal Tendencies : Interview : 8/12/1999 »

18. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

World Gone Mad is a great record, I was surprised, didn't expect that much.

By the way I think Suicidal For Life has great songs but I personally don't like the drums, the band lost a lot when they lost Herrera.

Now with Lombardo they have the best drumming they could have, such a talent.

black sheriff likes this.
  19. theshape

Received the new Suicidal Tendencies EP with the new Judas Priest friday. Just now getting around to it. Upon first listen, it feels sort of like a mixed bag of things that either didn't make the cut for World Gone Mad, or alternate takes of Get Your Fight On from said album. Definitely cool to hear, just not sure how often I'll listen to it.

One high note, it mentions a new album coming in July 2018! So, that's certainly good news! \m/

Brenald79 and punkmusick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.