Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

BD02 11 09D2T08 »

The band intros from that show.

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain likes this.
  2. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

[​IMG]

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd like to see an over-size photo-essay book on the 1966 tour, as well.

psychtrailmix likes this.
  4. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Yer right. My bad... only two 'shut up's.

goodnitesteve likes this.
  5. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

I'm at work and have not listened to it yet, but I figured everyone may like to give it a spin to hear for themselves. He basically lives on the stage. There were reports of him vomiting on the stage and possibly crying on stage. The man is a trooper though. Very rarely does he cancel gigs. I'm glad he's still around and I'll see him any chance I get.

Carserguev likes this.
  6. TyroneSlothrop

TyroneSlothrop Forum Resident

WOW. I've been listening to that concert for years (it's my all-time favorite live album) and somehow I never noticed that. It's not edited out on BS 4, it's there if you listen carefully. This really has changed my whole view on the Judas incident. I agree with you now, whereas before I held the orthodox view that Bob said "I don't believe you...you're a liar" in response to the Judas shout. I also agree with whoever said that "play it f---n loud" was uttered by Robbie and not Bob. It sounds exactly like his voice.

Lucretius and subtr like this.
  7. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

That's one hell of a centre aisle, right there.

8. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Yes, great news. I'm really looking forward to the box

TyroneSlothrop likes this.
  9. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Fire Marshall: "I don't care how close they sit to the walls on each aside as long as there's a nice wide clear center aisle in front of the stage."

stepeanut likes this.
  10. Mitchum

Mitchum Well-Known Member

I'll be the naive dope that chimes in saying that I actually think it is Bob who's heard on the tape, and that he is saying "Play it f'ing Loud".

I take further confirmation from the video(even though it doesn't seem to sync just perfectly) based on his almost rhythmic body movements(and guitar strumming) when he says the other two things, and the way he spins his body around and does the taunting point out into the audience right after the "play it f'ing Loud".

What he was saying it in response to(Judas or the Dylan Thomas line) I can not say... But knowing Bob's familiarity with the name and it's heavy connotations(With God On Our Side) and being that Bob was Jewish, I can definitely believe being called "Judas" is what got his ire up and provoked him to react the way he did(more than the Dylan Thomas thing which I doubt he even heard clearly, Judas was clear as day).

Could it be Robbie? I kinda hear it... But then I kinda don't(and as someone else said before, is he really even in the position to pipe up like that in that position?). It's sure sounds like Bob to me. And again, watch the way his body spins right around and then defiantly points right out into the audience like "this one's for you azzhole!", it just fits too well.

I see the arguments in all the other directions, and some of them have merit, but overall I just think there are too many "well, it could be's" when the simplest possible explanation is staring us in the face.

But I could very well be wrong...

Just my 2 cents.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Absolutely, thanks.

12. Fair play for getting a Jacques Brel reference into this thread! If you've seen the footage you'll know Brel was in league of his own as a live performer :)

Lars1966 likes this.
  13. Yes, thanks for the reminder of this. From memory Bob certainly doesn't sound like he's playing three strings on his guitar on this song, in fact that idea seems preposterous. I really enjoy his playing on it, it's a great song and performance.

I've enjoyed Heylin's biographies of Dylan but believe he puts far too much of his own opinions into the narrative. Not just that - but his opinions are sometimes plainly ridiculous.

HominyRhodes and AJK74 like this.
  14. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I find Still On The Road and it's companion almost addictive reading, with occasionally irritating remarks. I also have the feeling at times - mostly when he's discussing the 'religious' songs, that he's speaking from a position of faith, which I find off-putting.

goodnitesteve likes this.
  15. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

Without Heylin we'd be kind of lost, but he does put his opinion in quite a bit. It's just something to think about.
    He has gotten an enormous amount of access, not typically given to Dylan biographers.

I recommend his Revolution in the Air pair of books. He goes through each song, even songs that are rumored.

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  16. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I will let you know for sure. I emailed it to some friends when I found it, but I can't for the life of me find that email now. If it ever comes up I'll let you know.

17. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I'll just add my last tuppence-worth on the burning issue:

a) It's not a northern English accent, not even close. I am northern English. The only way that's a northern English man speaking is if he's doing a frigging good impression of a North American.

b) It sounds nowt like Robbie Robertson. End of. Because...

c) It's Bob 'play'tfugg'nmlouwd' Dylan.

d) 'get' loud? As if.

Please. You guys are ruining my second favourite moment in history after the Russian defeat of the Nazis.

Enough already!!!

Lucretius, bobcat, Tommyboy and 7 others like this.
  18. Soul Music Fan

Soul Music Fan Forum Resident

Yeah, I think something has been lost in the transatlantic translation :laugh:

19. pillboxer

pillboxer Member

It seems like the kinda thing Robbie would have taken credit for though right? I think it was some stage hand or similar. Maybe Robbie's new autobiography will clear things...probably not though

NaturalD likes this.
  20. Mitchum

Mitchum Well-Known Member

That's exactly how we know it wasn't Robbie!

He hasn't taken credit for it for 50 years! Never even hinted that it might have been him.

Come on folks... We're talking Robbie Robertson here. :laugh:

21. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

I agree. I still believe it was Bob, until PROVEN otherwise... As far as people contemplating various things including nuances in the voice that said it sounding British or whatever... I think that nuance was that Bob was mid-laugh when he said it with a big grin on his face.

22. Richard--W

If anyone has photos of Bob in 1966 do post them here.

23. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Same photo shoot as that great Mojo picture:

[​IMG]

Jason Tenney and Richard--W like this.
  24. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

This is one of those pictures of young Bob where he looks just like Jakob.

25. Richard--W

When I showed my wife -- I mean my first wife, back in the 1980s -- the album cover Blonde On Blonde she asked "Who is she?" I told her it's not a she it's a he, and his name is Bob Dylan. She said "you're kidding. He looks like a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _." It was my turn to say "You must be kidding." "Look at the hair and how he dresses," she countered. Ask me privately what the blankety blank is.