Steve Wozniak: "Bluetooth just sounds so flat for the same music." (Apple ditching 3.5mm on iPhone)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KeithH, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I may see if Linus Tips has a YouTube video related to this.

My car can read from the lightning via USB, aux, or Bluetooth. I exclusively use Bluetooth with the iPhone. It is a time saver and I am not listening critically anyway. I have a 160 gb classic (ALAC files) using the USB, but I only use it when I can't connect to cellular ( mainly in the mountains). I also use Bluetooth at work since I don't like having cables to deal with.

2. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

So, what I'm getting at is that a phone full of 320k and -v0 MP3 files will be re-encoded on the fly to something 256k or under, possibly AAC, on the way to my ears.

That doesn't happen through a wired headphone. And until it does happen through a wireless one, count me out.

3. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

If it maxes out at 256kbps, regardless of Codec, they obviously are not aiming at the audiophile crowd.

I assume the majority of their customers don't lose too much sleep over their choice.

aza14782 likes this.
  4. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Don't most audiophiles dismiss Apple anyway?

5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I don't know, but I do know that my iPod classic supported ALAC at much higher resolution.

Dennis0675 and Metralla like this.
  6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Not so much. I just don't want to see them totally lose me.

7. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

The wireless headphones aren't aimed at audiophiles. They are aimed at the much larger convenience market.

Audiophiles have the lightning port ( with camera adapter) that will enable the use of USB DACs. The iPhone is capable of at least 96khz, maybe more, so it simply sends out the digital signal and you can do what you want with it.

The audiophile market isn't one uniform group that all have the same preferences. Yes, there are audiophiles that use iPhones. There are others that can't stand digital of any kind. Ther are a bunch of small niches within a small niche of people.

aza14782 and The7thStranger like this.
  8. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I understand exactly what you've been saying - it just makes no sense. If you're worried about losing the adapter, attach it to the cable with a rubberband or other gadget. "Problem" solved.

Or else just buy a second adapter for your other set of headphones / cable, and leave that adapter always attached to that cable.

10. The7thStranger

Convenient and streamlined! Yes. I'm gonna walk around with an adapter tied to my cable with a rubberband. :crazy:

11. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'm a life-long Apple guy. I don't consider myself an audiophile per se, but my issue with wireless is that I do not want my lossy music getting more lossy, needlessly.

I've already accepted the convenience of lossy conversion once. I won't accepted it twice.

LivingForever likes this.
  12. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

You are an audiophile if you care about it being converted twice (still not sure that happens if it is an AAC file). Most people don't care at all. The top streaming services are free and use low resolution files.

The Accidental Tech Podcast guys ( one of them works with audio all the time because he designed the Overcast app) aren't sure it converts the signal if it is already AAC, either. Still a lot of unanswered questions. Personally, I use Bluetooth in the car and at work. At home I use AirPlay or the lightning connector.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

No one has to accept lossy iPhone audio using wired headphones. True hi-fi Bluetooth audio just doesn't exist yet (though I bet it eventually will); but Jony Ive isn't coming to your house to take away your old-school headphones.

Meanwhile, a positive first impression of the iPhone 7's wired performance per The Wirecutter:

The [Lightning-to-mini] adapter has no discernible effect on audio quality. We tested several pairs of headphones with both the iPhone 6s through the internal headphone port and the iPhone 7 via the adapter. If there is any variation in quality, it’s imperceptible.

crispi likes this.
  14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

[​IMG]

FashionBoy and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I too find Bluetooth unacceptable for quality hi fidelity. The only wireless that is truly lossless is digital streaming, but that would in this case require more complex and expensive ear buds.

16. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

This is on the move. I've experienced it and it's a huge step forward in terms of wireless audio. However, Apple is the only manufacturer not supporting aptx since they use their own way of doing it.. as always.

| aptX »

17. edvj

edvj Forum Resident

n
    :D

rbp and Dennis0675 like this.
  18. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

19. The7thStranger

aza14782 likes this.
  20. The7thStranger

Reportedly lower sales than people thought. The iPhone 7 hasn't met projections.

It could be a sign of a parabolic slump. So really, the iPhone 8 is where Tim Cook's Apple has to shine.

21. What people? Whose projections?

Or it could be the sign of something completely different. Or no sign at all.

22. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Somebody devised a workaround, now on Indiegogo.

RoyalScam likes this.
  23. The7thStranger

This is going to bring about more adapters than wireless headphones. :laugh:

24. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Clearly the end of the world for some folk with Apple ditching the 3.5mm headphone jack and not wanting to use a dongle.
    Apple has always tried to be different than their competition - it is what sets them apart.
    Stop crying and just get a phone that you are happy with - it doesn't have to be an iPhone.

nightstand68 and SamS like this.
  25. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.