Radiohead- A Moon Shaped Pool

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Oct 15, 2015.

1. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

Maybe performance wise but i mean in terms of caressing and soft and soothing. Those are the vocals I prefer from him.

2. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I'd say The Bends was Thom's top vocal album.

Matthew likes this.
  3. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Yeah, Hail to the Thief is definitely not caressing, soft or soothing, that is for sure.

4. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Alphabetically... stick with the plan... ;)

crispi likes this.
  5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Just listened to a pretty crappy version of "Ill Wind" on You Tube. Pretty good song--the beat is very Can-sounding, and I dig the keyboard breakdown in the middle.

I know the band is all about economy on its releases since "In Rainbows", but I can't help but be of the opinion "Spectre" and "Ill Wind" would've made MSP an even-stronger album.

Dusan likes this.
  6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

:righton: You weren't kidding, never a bad thing. They should have included it on the album.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  7. Chrome_Head

Now I'm watching a great-quality video on YouTube of Radiohead at Lollapalooza Berlin this month. They're playing MSP all the way through in order. As is often with the band, a lot of this material is coming off very good if not better in a live setting.

"Ful Stop" is pretty crazy live, and Thom plays a handheld keyboard of sorts during the song. They rock out "Burn The Witch" quite a bit more. It wasn't very recognizable when they started it. Jonny plays a bow on his guitar Page-style on it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    crispi and dadonred like this.
  8. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Saw that too. It's an awesome show.

crispi and Chrome_Head like this.
  9. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

They haven't released a live album in years, perhaps an album from this tour might appear...

Then again, I Might Be Wrong... ;)

Chrome_Head likes this.
  10. CBS CLASH 3

CBS CLASH 3 Forum Resident

Got the special edition in the mail a few days ago. Cleaned it. Listening on headphones.

It's not good.

So much surface noise that it's distracting. Especially Side A. Worse than the standard edition I got at the original release. And there's only one unreleased tune. And 33rpm. This is like the Bizarro version of the In Rainbows deluxe set.

I feel like I'm in a Bugs Bunny cartoon and my head just turned into a lollipop. If I had known I was getting no more than a book of weird pictures and 1 new Radiohead song, I most definitely would have saved my money.

I love Radiohead, but this band needs to stop putting all their dough into Stanley Donwood's pockets and get back to putting it into the musical presentation. It's not as if this thing was inexpensive. Why does it sound so cheap?

ramdom and Six Bachelors like this.
  11. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Fact is, you did know, right? It was clearly stated ( 33rpm, 2extra tracks, book....) prior to purchasing? Am I wrong...

As for crappy sound quality... not so good. Many, including me, are hoping it would be better.

12. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Too bad you got noisy vinyl. That stinks. When the announcement came out I looked at the description of the special edition and decided to pass. Instead, I went for the hi-rez download and the standard vinyl, which I think was still cheaper than the special edition. Plus, I didn't have to wait until September. The In Rainbows special edition was awesome. The King of Limbs was less so, but at least we got 45rpm vinyl. This one... I just couldn't see any reason to get it.

CBS CLASH 3 likes this.
  13. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Where was it stated that it would be 33rpm?

14. CBS CLASH 3

CBS CLASH 3 Forum Resident

Not exactly. Radiohead's site said "2 heavyweight vinyl records." I believe many of us were hoping they would be 45rpm. As for the two extra tracks, one of 'em isn't even new.

These points would be mildly upsetting on their own, but the real villain is the fact that the lps are as shoddy as the initial release.

Joe Spivey and ParanoidAndroid like this.
  15. IanL

IanL Senior Member

was the first vinyl release "shoddy"? The mastering is not perfect, but I don't recall any pressing issues with mine.

16. ParanoidAndroid

I received mine today as well from the Royal Mail (good old 2nd class delivery!). As I stated earlier in this thread, I went through SIX (6) copies of the standard vinyl (EU, black vinyl) from 3 different sources and all of them had flaws of some kind, especially on the tracks 'Daydreaming', 'Glass Eyes' and 'True Love Waits'. As a result, I was praying that this version would at least give me a copy without the pops, non-fill, etc that plagued the standard edition.

Now, the book and artwork are beautifully presented and the good news is that the package will fit into an Ikea Kallax shelving unit (unlike the special edition for 'In Rainbow's). I really like the new track 'Ill Wind' as well. The 2 LPs were stored separately in crappy paper inners in between two pieces of cardboard. The LPs were quite dirty, full of static and those tell tale white marks that were present on the standard edition are here as well. The records are slightly warped (again). Upon inspection, the matrix information is EXACTLY THE SAME as the standard EU edition so the only thing I can tell that's different are the labels.

I thoroughly cleaned the records on my Okki Nokki RCM before listening. As expected, they sound the same in terms of mastering. Fortunately, sides A&B don't have any surface noise and that includes 'Daydreaming' which was a relief to me. Unfortunately, 'Glass Eyes' and 'True Love Waits' still have lots of rice krispie type noises on them. It seems they made no attempt to rectify the problems from the standard pressing which is extremely disappointing. Although I have no proof, I would speculate that these were pressed at the same time as the standard versions as the similarities between how the two editions sound are uncanny.

ramdom and Joe Spivey like this.
  17. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Can't wait for mine. In Federal Way, WA. Just a few miles until Seattle.

18. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Just ask for replacement copies of the vinyl.

19. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Received mine today in India. Quite happy with how quickly this reached me.

I love the packaging (it has a nice, almost foamy, thickness to it) and the records arrived undamaged. The artwork is really stunning. I'm loving the mastertape too, it's a nice little keepsake.

Listening to Side A now. So far so good, no major cracks and pops. I did only a dry clean though, will see if there is improvement after running through the Okki Nokki. But nothing so far that would cause me to complain. Lets see how the other sides sound!

Quite disappointed it's not 45rpm though. It really would have sounded a lot better I feel.

SergioRZ, Joe Spivey and IanL like this.
  20. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Apologies fellas... this was so long ago my recollection was wrong. I thought it stated 33rpm on the site. Looking now I notice no such description. I too was hoping for better pressing quality... my standard version is bit noisy in places. Nothing too distracting but still an enjoyable spin.
    I should have mine later today, so I'll give it a spin tonight and hope for the best :wave:

CBS CLASH 3 likes this.
  21. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

After chatting to my brother at the weekend about our mutual disappointment with this LP, I had a minor revelation last night and listened to the LP on shuffle on my iPhone.

For whatever reason, I am now enjoying it a lot more. Just need to delete True Love Waits and we'll be getting somewhere.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  22. Chrome_Head

I really wanted to buy the MSP standard edition on vinyl, but after what I'm hearing here, I'll either pass on it or wait for a better pressing.

23. ParanoidAndroid

Oh, I will ask for a replacement of the second disc I think. At this point and given the recording, I wasn't expecting an 'In Rainbows' level of fidelity but at £60 I was hoping for a quiet, well pressed record. Or was I asking for too much for my money?

24. ParanoidAndroid

Just looking at Reddit, it seems a lot of UK customers have received duplicate copies of the special edition (i.e they ordered one and received two). Lucky people!

25. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

I'm also very disappointed in the special edition. My experience was similar to yours, with the records very dirty, scuffed from mishandling, and warped. Luckily play isn't affected too badly. I also would not call these pressed on "heavyweight" vinyl. It feels to be 140g to me. We get one bonus track, and it's on a CD. I don't even own a CD player anymore.

I went back to the site to double check why I had been so excited about this box set and was shocked to see that I had paid $86 for it. I'm going to think twice before buying another Radiohead SE, which is disappointing because the last two were great and In Rainbows is one of my top 10 sounding LPs.