Eric Clapton Live in San Diego coming Sept. 30

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve-oh, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

Agreed, hopefuly a bluray will be released too.Can't understand why they only choose to release it as audio. Having said that, I am really looking forward to this 2CD!

2. jdw

jdw Senior Member

The 2006-2007 tour was acclaimed by seemingly everybody. The lack of a video release for it is possibly down to business reasons. There have been several Clapton videos aimed at the Christmas market over the past few years:
    - Slowhand at 70 (released Nov. 2015)
    - Planes Trains And Eric (released Nov. 2014)
    - Crossroads Guitar Festival 2013 (released Nov. 2013)
    - Unplugged Deluxe (released Oct. 2013)
    - Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton (released Sept. 2011)
    Does Reprise, or Clapton (or both?) feel they have over-saturated the video market? Just a guess. Plus, a CD release means Reprise doesn't have to deal with the costs of video "sync rights" as they would have to do with a blu-ray. As for who paid for the original production costs for the filming, I don't know...

Amazingly, Clapton hasn't released a new live album without a video "tie-in" since Just One Night in 1980.

I also have the Clapton fan/collector impulse (ie. "Gimme. I want it now!"), but it's never as simple as that...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Tuck1977 likes this.
  3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Yes, a Clapton release has always been on the Fall schedule and most of them seem to do rather well. I remember this was expected on DVD in 2008 (it was well known that they filmed the San Diego show) but never showed up. The project seemed shelved for unknown reasons. At the time, it was rumored that perhaps team Clapton was unhappy with the film.

Glad that at least the audio is coming out in good quality. It was Eric's best tour in recent years and hope the San Diego show captures some of the best moments from that band.

4. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I know not everyone has Blu-ray but I wouldn't be at all excited by DVD release, they looked great on my 32" 480i JVC CRT back in the day but generally look like gash on my 60" plazzie. In addition, the stereo tracks often seem to be loudness wars mastered while the 5.1 is the only dynamic option, and lossy 448 Kbps Dolby isn't particularly well suited for music, the BD 99% of the time is lossless surround.

Does Clapton have a Blu out yet? I thought one of the final shows was supposed to get an official video release?

5. crossroads69

Clapton has many Bluray releases out there such as Cream 2005, MSG 2009 (with Steve Winwood), Far East Tour 2014 (Planes, Trains & Eric), RAH 2015 (Slowhand at 70), Crossroads Festivals 2010 & 2013, etc.

6. crossroads69

Tell The Truth video from San Diego.

7. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

You're right, but this is a "hot" band. We don't have a complete DVD with Trucks & Jordan. IMHO they really added spark to the shows.

rstamberg likes this.
  8. crossroads69

No doubt, this should've been released on DVD/BD!

9. crossroads69

A strong opener from the band - both Derek & Steve Jordon sound in great form. However, no solo from Eric and so that will ding it a point (compared to Crossroads Guitar Festival version where Eric takes the first solo during the outro jam).

Eric should've really gone all out and called this tour the Layla Tour - well, if not the whole tour then at least some dedicated shows at say the Royal Albert and filmed those. This was a special band and they nearly covered all the tunes on that record. The only missing link was Bobby Whitlock...

10. Alex D

Alex D Forum Resident

Picked this up yesterday on CD- brickwalled to death. UGH.

Be warned.

MRamble likes this.
  11. crossroads69

Why oh why..... :(

12. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

How would you grade the overall performance?

13. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Nothing on this? I'm shocked!

Fred68 likes this.
  14. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Oh man. What a shame. I was interested in this one since Derek is on this one along with the songs from Layla. But if the sound is that bad then I guess I'll pass.

CCrider92 likes this.
  15. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Sounds great to me. Too many highlights to mention but the songs with JJ Cale are all classic. Nice to have this released instead of a lousy boot. Cocaine is nice where Doyle, Derek, Eric and JJ all put on a nice little solo. Little Queen Of Spades is a tour de force that last for over 17 minutes. Eric kicks it off then Chris solos followed by Doyle, Derek And then Eric finishes it off in a blaze of glory. Crossroads includes Robert Cray which is another treat. Clapton is a true master that isn't afraid to share the solos with other gifted musicians. I have it cranking on my Denon with my Energy speakers and the cd sounds great to me.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  16. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I think it sounds decent. Probably another case of someone looking at the numbers and deciding it's not going to sound good before giving it a chance.

Carserguev likes this.
  17. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Couldn't find this anywhere up here in Canada today. Got the Hendrix, though.....

18. rockclassics

Somebody has to ask.....anyone have DR numbers for the CD?

19. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

CD numbers, from JRiver Mac

Disc 1: 7 / 7 / 8 / 8 / 8 /10 /8 /10 / 8
    Disc 2: 7 / 8 / 9 / 9 / 10 / 9 / 8

20. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Anybody get the vinyl version? I'm planning on getting it this weekend.

I saw that tour in Auburn Hills, Michigan from the 10th row and it was a great show. However, Trucks had left to join the Allman Brothers for their Beacon run that year. Pretty bummed about that but it was the best Clapton show I'd ever seen.

21. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

It's really sad that with the simple use of one word--"brickwalled" (see above)--some people may be influenced to deprive themselves of a really wonderful musical experience. Excellent set list and outstanding musical performance. Fabulous dynamic range to these ears.

22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Got mine at HMV.

23. Nice sounding show with the exception of Steve Jordan's drums which has nothing to do with the mix but more with his inherent drum sound. The kick drum sounds like a thud meets a pillow and the horrible snare drum tuning doesn't help . He had that sound on Letterman too. Not a fan. Give me Steve Gadd any day. Other than that it's a terrific show and I love the JJ Cale duets. If you're a Clapton guy like me, it's a must buy.

crossroads69 and Yankeefan01 like this.
  24. rockclassics

This is probably one of those discs where I need to hear it before I buy it.

I appreciate hearing both sides of what people think about the sound quality.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  25. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Thought this was going to be a DVD/BR release in addition to the CDs. Too bad...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.