iTunes 12.4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Atmospheric, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

I have the same problem. :laugh:

2. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

I've got a problem with my iPod classic where it almost always hangs up, skips, or has large amounts of silence where there should be music at the end of mp3s. This was a problem since iTunes 12.4, and I still can't find a fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated! It's a huge pain to have to convert every mp3 to an aac to be able to listen to it before I put it on my iPod...

3. defmoot

defmoot Contents Under Pressure

Yeah, me too.

I still generally listen to mostly albums, via the "Add to Up Next" command then delete songs I don't want to hear, or shift-command then "Add to Up Next" only the songs from an album I want to hear. I rarely listen to a playlist more then twice, because they are merely transitory to me, just an extended thought that quickly loses its relevance.

My biggest complaints about iTunes are the constant infantilizing of the interface, and the stupid bugs like randomly disappearing artwork. There are others, but in my opinion they charge way too much for buggy, inconsistent, unreliable software.

"Hey look how cool I am I've got a bitchin' cool phone" ain't going to keep this train running forever.

4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I have to ask about the "ask too much" comment. I have to assume just sarcasm since it's free.

billnunan likes this.
  5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Itunes needs to be completely rewritten. I never use it on my computer anymore. Only iphone and ipad. And even then not too much. Audirvana on the computers. The OS X version of itunes is a freakshow.

6. defmoot

defmoot Contents Under Pressure

Fair question. What I meant was that their hardware costs too much given the buggy, inconsistent, unreliable "free" software they want you to run on it.

I've been a happy Mac digital workstation and photography-based user for almost two decades. Apple still has some pluses, but the negatives continue to add up.

Music1212 likes this.
  7. peelaaa

peelaaa Forum Resident

Just get Mediamonkey. I use this with my ipod classic

8. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

That kind of sounds like a failing hard drive in the iPod. I think there is some kind of drive diagnostic you can run, you may google around and give that a try.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  9. Johnny Reb

Thanks! I'll try that. From what I read on it before, it happened to other people too. It only happens with mp3s, not aacs.

10. Johnny Reb

I tried everything possible at this point. Nothing. No clue what's going on. If anyone has any more info...

11. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree that MediaMonkey is a viable option when working with the iPod Classic. The main disadvantage I've found is that it doesn't support all of the features of the iPod Classic (such as being able to have it set a track on your player to remember the position you were at when you return to it). But I think it is adequate for basic music management on the iPod Classic.

12. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Since the latest up date to iTunes on my Mac, it has the very annoying habit of adding songs to Up Next that I don't want to hear. I used to be able to play an album from one song on down...or just play one song. But now if I play Bowie's 'Buddha Of Suburbia' it automatically adds other tracks in alphabetical order after that. It's incredibly annoying and I don't know how to get it to stop. I have to clear the Up Next list which is just one extra unnecessary step.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Marzz likes this.
  13. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

You know what's the worst? If you're listening a song IN a playlist, and you want to delete that song in the particular playlist for whatever reason... the song stops playing and everything's gone. I long for the days of iTunes DJ...

Hawkman likes this.
  14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Go to the 4 dots followed by 4 lines next to the 'now playing' window and you can delete the songs from 'up next' you don't want to play by clicking the little cross.

My latest problem is that it keeps playing a playlist in random without me asking it to. (well, it's done it twice)

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Obviously you're not trying to play an album in your library without playing the first song.

16. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Probably shouldn't have started a new thread for this issue now that I've found this one... oh well.

Some of my large playlists that I spent ages on are significantly messed up after "upgrading" to 12.5.1 - like up to 90% of songs are missing. Utter rubbish.

17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

In iTunes 12.5 I live 100% of the time in the Music > Songs view (with the sidebar and the column browser unhidden).

So there’s no problem picking an album in the column browser or a playlist in the sidebar, and starting with whatever track I double-click on.

dadonred, Mylene and Rupe33 like this.
  18. View options are only one click where you see artist album song. Pretty simple imho.

19. Stone Turntable

Let me guess... You have iCloud Music Library turned on in Preferences > General?

I don’t let *anything* iCloud-related touch my lovingly assembled iTunes library of albums and playlists containing music files I own.

My suggestion is to create a second iTunes libary where stuff like iCloud and Apple Music streaming happen, and keep that stuff as far as possible away from the music you own.

IronWaffle likes this.
  20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have a separate computer that I use for iCloud. I haven't checked out Apple Music in the new iTunes yet. If it's anything like what's in the new iOS, I'll end up dropping it. It's awful in iOS 10. Not that it was great in iOS 9, nothing like making a mediocre product bad.

21. LivingForever

Not intentionally, no, it's disabled on my phone and I can't actually find where to enable/disable it on iTunes on my laptop...

I have never knowingly turned this on for reasons similar to those you explained!

22. Stone Turntable

I'm just not sure how iTunes can mess up playlists unless some of the contents are iCloud-linked. It's a bummer though.

23. LivingForever

Interestingly enough, in the playlists that got messed up, it was only the songs which I had bought from the iTunes Store that remained. So it's definitely connected somehow...

I've seen other people with iCloud, iTunes Match and Apple Music disabled having the same issue when they upgraded to the latest version, so who knows?

24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

iTunes will do that for you automatically

25. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Revert to v10.7.

Snashforce and questrider like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.