Tech Help: Lightning to HDMI output to TV in FULL HD??

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by OliverB, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OliverB

OliverB Forum Resident Thread Starter

Quick technical question for the forum:

I carry my iPad Air everywhere when traveling.

I have Infuse (v3.6.2) app which I like to load with movies before trips. I routinely rip MKV files from BRDs and DVDs from my personal collection, which I'll upload to the app via web browser.

I'll also pack a 15ft silver plated high-speed HDMI cable from Monoprice in my luggage.

I've used the Apple Lightning to HDMI adapter with the above mentioned cable to connect to TVs in hotel rooms or anywhere that we happen to be staying, in order to mirror playback from my iPad via the Infuse app. The problem is that it doesn't output to full HD resolution.

I'm packing for a 10 night stay in Venice, Italy in 2 weeks, and I've uploaded a couple of flicks to my app, as usual. David Lean's Summertime, Don't Look Now, etc. I generally select films related to the places that we travel, which is always a lot of fun.

I somehow misplaced both my HDMI cable and my Apple AV adapter that connects to the lightning port on my iPad. It's $50 to replace, which is annoying. Since I'm traveling in a couple of weeks and need to figure this out, I'm wondering if there's an alternate solution that can output video from my iPad to televisions in full HD and ideally, without the need for internet connection? Does something like this exist?

I'd also like to know if any generic or off-brand alternatives exist and are Apple compliant (needs to be compatible with iPad Air) that can output via HDMI through the lightning port; preferably in full HD but if not, at least matching or besting Apple's adapter? I'd be willing to spend the same amount or even slightly more on something that's better made and better quality. I've found that my old HDMI adapter was a bit finicky and didn't always function flawlessly; it required a lot of disconnecting and reconnecting and restarting the Infuse app. That said, it ultimately did the job... I'd love to find a more ideal solution if one exists though!

Thanks so much

2. OliverB

Here's an older related article from 2013. I'm a layman when it comes to anything computer and tech related, so I don't understand half of the jargon in this blog entry, but it should offer some further perspective on my initial post. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a competitor out there doing a vastly improved lightning-HDMI adapter and I'd like to learn more about the alternatives, if any exist...

The Lightning Digital AV Adapter doesn’t do native 1080P out, possibly because it is an AirPlay receiver »

UPDATE:

THIS is what I need, for iOS! If it exists for Android, there's gotta be something out there for Apple, right??
    Soundstream HDM-A3 Cable »

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

4. OliverB

Thanks Sam,

Are you 100% certain that no Wi-Fi is needed?

Based on the link that you posted, it indicates the following for all functions:

1. Connect to the same Wi-Fi network on your iOS device and the device that you want to AirPlay to.

Many of the places that we travel to are remote and either have limited/no Wi-Fi or spotty service at best; Wi-Fi at most hotel is hardly reliable. We also tend to travel internationally and would incur substantial roaming costs, so the "no internet connection" criteria is a really important one for me.

That said, if you're absolutely confident that it would work just as well if not better for the same purposes as described, I'll go ahead and purchase right now!

Are Apple TVs compatible with any television that has an HDMI input? Is it convenient for travel?

I just watched the following YouTube video and the creator does specify that "internet is a must" with this product:

5. OliverB

I came across the following blog posts which clarifies things for me:

No Wi-Fi? No problem! Using Apple TV to Mirror Your Device Without WiFI »

Thanks so much!!

I'll look into buying a Gen. 3 right away!

Last question: would you say that setup is as simple and convenient as the plug and play AV adapter I've been using up to now?

(Edit) One more question!
    Is there a difference between Gen. 3 model A1469 & Gen 4 model A1625 in terms of functionality; would both work as well? I assume you recommended the older model based on the lower price point?
    Thank you again!

(Edit 2) Any concerns with copyright protections for MKV playback? I use MakeMKV to rip all content from commercial discs, so I would assume that any restrictions would get stripped in the process, but I'm not that tech savvy and just want to be sure before buying. I'd hate to be on vacation and find out that I cant playback content from my Infuse app.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Note that there is also a (older) Gen 3 AppleTV A1427 that you'll need to avoid for your specific peer-t0-peer purposes. The A1469 and A1625 behave the same in this regard.

Can's speak to the MKV playback, as that is more dependent on the behavior of the "Infuse app" rather than AppleTV in particular. You'll certainly want to test at home before you take it on the road. I use MKV rips all the time, but transcode them to MP4 for playback in AppleTV via iTunes.

7. OliverB

Thanks Sam,

It's going to be difficult to test at home as I don't own a television. I used to have an HT setup with DLP projection in my previous home, but I don't have the space in my current SF apartment.

Anyhow, I did come across the following, which may shed some light on the Apple TV-Infuse sympatico concerns: Infuse 4 for Apple TV - Now Available | Firecore »

I'm assuming that if this particular app is avail. to download through Apple TV, it must sync up via iPad, right?

I already have a small media library uploaded to Infuse. I'm not quite sure how it would connect with ATV though and I wonder if I'd have to do anything at home, to connect the accounts, before my trip. Do you know if I would be able to test Apple TV with the Infuse app on my Samsung ATIV Book 9? Assuming all goes well, it should function the same on a TV or any other monitor, right?

8. OliverB

Rats! I just read that Apple TV does NOT support MKV feedback.

I really don't want to have to deal with the conversion. I don't have backups of the files on any drives and I'd have to rip everything again and it's more work than I'd like to undertake as I really wanted to simplify things. It sounds like I might have to just bite the bullet and buy another overprived AV adapter from the Apple Store. For $50 you'd think they could find a way to output to 1080p considering the sole function of the cable is to mirror video content for playback :(

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If you don't have any backups, all is lost. Drive space is cheap -- do yourself a favor and buy some extra drives for $50.

10. OliverB

I don't have backups because I only store the files temporarily for travel. I have limited space on my iPad and no need to store these particular files on an external drive since I have hard copies of everything. I am slowly transferring backups of many files to a Seagate and I plan to do a more exhaustive overhaul of all media in future, but for now my focus is on this iPad issue. Although I don't understand 90% of the tech talk in the following link, I've surprisingly learned a lot about Apples AV adapter and while it's not ideal, it's probably the best solution avail. at present for what I need:
    Apple's Lightning-to-HDMI can't actually output at 1080p - Ars Technica OpenForum »

I'm gonna do one more extensive search of my apartment to see if I can't uncover the missing adapter and HDMI cable (I suspect they're probably connected, wherever they are) and if I come up empty, I'll probably just place a new order. It's served me well enough in travels thus far...

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You don't have space anywhere for a box that's 5" x 4.5" x .5"? That's the size of a 4TB WD Passport drive, and it's fine for backups. It's very, very, very risky not to have backups of this material, and redigitizing it all (if the copies are lost) is a nightmare. Trust me -- I've been there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.