Prince Announces "The Hit & Run Album" HITNRUN with 3rdEyeGirl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

Prince is notorious in the last 20 years or so for crappy album cover art, although this is slightly better than Musicology, Rave unto the joy fantastic, and Planet Earth . . .

groovelocked likes this.
  2. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

I don't see any connections or similarities at all. What am I missing, except for that Prince's 'fro is round, and the world is also round :wtf:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

The live version of 1+1+1=3 is very cool.
    I also agree with Xenophobia. For a while I collected all versions of it from the numerous ONA bootlegs.
    Even the soundchecks of that tour are great .. some can be found on the C-Note album.

4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I just listened to the short snippets of the songs on qobuz and it looks like this will be the first Prince album ever, that I won't buy. :shake: I've became a Prince fan at the age of 16 and still count him among my favourite artists, but this new Eurodance sound he recently adopted is just not working for me anymore. I won't rule out that he might come up with something I'll like in the future, but by now I'm doubtful.

On the other hand, there's a track on Spotify (the only Prince song there now) that I really like. It's called "Stare" and it's funky with a slapping guitar and lots of brass. I have no idea where it comes from, since it doesn't sound like anything he has done recently (maybe an older track?), but if he puts out an album in that vein, I'll buy it in a heart beat.

Not sure if it works like this, but here's a link for those with a Spotify account: https://play.spotify.com/artist/5a2EaR3hamoenG9rDuVn8j

5. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

It's a recent track rumoured to be on the upcoming HITnRUN Phase Two.

groovelocked likes this.
  6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Well, maybe there's still hope then.

Thanks.

Cloudbuster likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i thought he signed back to WB last year and was going to be with them awhile :(

8. Matthew Tate

when is phase 2 due out?

9. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

I've no idea, and knowing Prince it may not even happen anyway.

1 person likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

lol that's true

Cloudbuster likes this.
  11. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

- He did, for Art Official Age, and then flaked. Hence the no anniversary Purple Rain announced release, etc. I figure he only wanted a way to get that album (and the 3rdEyeGirl album) released, and had no intentions of actually sticking around with WB.

12. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

He's kind of a sketchy dude if you really think about it . . . his business ethics are deplorable.

13. Nathan Aaron

- It's noisy, and loud, and rock band sounding to ME. Hence, 3rdEyeGirl. It doesn't sound anything like leftover Prince songs (to me.)

14. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Lately this album has been in heavy rotation at my house; my kids love it! Maybe that's the audience Prince was aiming for... :D :laugh:

15. Matthew Tate

i think this album is already. i know he's never going to write another masterpiece though

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I just listened to this for the first time. It's horrible. I can't think of a Prince album that I like less. I listened twice though, hoping to find at least one track to like. Man. I hate slamming a guy I respect, but this is dreck.

17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I picked up HITnRUN phase one this week along with phase two.

After reading a lot of negative reports my expectations were low.

WOW - what a friggin sensational album. This is up with anything he has done in the last 25 years.

The first track Million $ Show is the weakest track on the album, but then kicks it to 11 with " Shut the Down ". The album maintains its brilliance through out.

Sound is minimilist Prince pop with elctronic synths as a backbeat coupled with a tight as drum machine keeping with the stripped back EDM sound.

LOVE IT - 5 stars

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I loved HitNRun phase one so much, I decided to take a risk on a bootleg vinyl copy.

WOW, It sounds pretty darn good and the pressing is good. So good i have ordered Phase two before they are all gone.

[​IMG]

19. Nathan Aaron

- At least with me, you have to give it some time. Hit N' Run Phase Two is pretty great if you ask me. But Phase One took a while. At first I hated it. But then I tried to step out of my "Prince comfort zone" and listen to it with a more open mind, and I've really grown to like it. But Phase Two will always be the better of the two!

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I agree Phase Two is very good. I revisited Phase One shortly after his death, but thought it was just as bad as my initial impression. I'm so glad he got Phase Two out there as a swan song.

21. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Phase Two was the best album he did since 3121. Just listen to the latter and you'll find that's a lot.
    Prince was my favorite artist but even a Purple freak like me can notice when crap is crap. And Phase One was a career low.

Matthew Tate and JohnnyQuest like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.