Record cleaning machine dust mat

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gpg6212, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

+1 This is what I do too.

2. Rust Am

Rust Am Forum Resident

I second this. No issues with project as there is no platter :)) that touches the record part.

3. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I use 2 brushes.... 1 course, 1 soft and a shot of compressed air> :agree: to kept the cork mat clean on my VPI MW-1.
    Fast and easy.
    I used to use (2) self-made cork mats for the 16.5

sean

4. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

How loud is the Pro-ject?

5. Rust Am

Rust Am Forum Resident

Rotation sound is minimal, but when vacuuming it is pretty loud - like old generation vacuum cleaner I guess. no probs for me though...

6. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Does it look easy to disassemble? If I grab one, I'd like to open it up and give the sides a layer of Dynamat. I have some leftover anyway.

7. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

This is similar to what I do, but I use a thin, smooth rubber mat (that came off a defunct Sony turntable) and reverse the order of your process:

I slip the rubber mat over the VPI's permanent cork mat when cleaning the first side of the record.
    Then when I go to flip the record to clean side two, I remove the rubber mat and place the freshly-cleaned side of the record on the VPI's cork mat. That way the machine's permanent cork mat never touches a dirty record. (Should the rubber mat become soiled, I find it easier to wipe off than cork.)

I've used this method for eight years; never had a problem.

8. Rust Am

Rust Am Forum Resident

It should be easy to disassemble. I haven't done it myself, but construction and all the bolts look pretty simple.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  9. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I'm back and looking for suggestions. The above solution doesn't really eliminate the problem. I brush off the pads periodically, yet no matter if I pull the disc off the cleaner when the suction is still running, or slowing down, or stopped - I still get a line of dust, hair and debris on the disc. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.