Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

One Of These Days didn't exist back in '68. The recording is from a John Peel live show from 1971. So, the info on the BBC streaming page is a typo. In fact, the content from the recent show was broadcasted in chronological order.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Lost In The Flood likes this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wow! Even the fonts on the label are unique, especially the tracklisting! Fits better to the sticker on some copies' front covers. The posters are really very different compared to the UK versions. Thanks for sharing! I like it!

3. Twittering Machine

Twittering Machine Forum Resident

About Two Of A Kind, it’s remarkable how Syd-like the song is. Earlier on this thread some were saying how Rick’s imitation of Syd’s writing could be a bit hard to listen to in places. But I doubt anyone questioned that Two Of A Kind was a Syd song when they first heard it. Perhaps you had to actually be Syd to get away with it, perhaps Syd thought it so like him that he had to claim it. I’d love to know the back story about how Syd came to pick this song of Rick’s over one his own for the Peel session. A slightly less disintegrating Syd and gentle Rick could have continued to make intriguing music had things turned out differently.

4. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Their first show was not Sat Club, it was a prog called Monday Monday which was broadcast on er...Monday lunchtime. I'm not sure any episodes of Monday Monday have survived even partially to my knowledge. I'm currently writing a book about BBC Radio sessions 1958 to 69 or as I like to call it "a redundant train timetable of destroyed radio shows you're never going to hear".
    Many of the week day shows (like Pop North, Parade Of The Pops, Joe Loss Show, Pop Inn etc..) were transmitted live so unless someone taped them off air they're gone. Even pre-recorded weekday shows like This Must Be The Place are non-existent bar selections snaffled for BBC Transcription discs.
    The weekday shows have that problem, unless it was the school holidays who on earth could listen to them who'd be interested in a band like Pink Floyd and had a tape recorder and kept the tape 50 years later. You'd either be at school or at work. Even Sunday's pre-recorded Easy Beat is almost entirely gone. Only Saturday Club has anything approaching a survival rate with shows such as Top Gear, Saturday Swings chipping in occasionally.
    As for Two Of A Kind, I always believed it was a Syd song but apparently not. Shades of Stephen Stills being so coked out he thought he was in Vietnam.
    Sadly.

5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

It sounds VERY much like a Syd song. And I've never read or heard Wright claim ownership, or corroborate Dave's claim. Gilmour played that session, but he's still not the horse's mouth, IMO. My original Peel sessions on Strange Fruit credits Syd, and I'm still going with that unless a quote from either Syd or Rick turns up to the contrary. Or maybe if Dave sufficiently elaborates on how he's certain it's Rick's (I was with him when he wrote it, he complained to me that it was his song, etc.).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  6. anth67

Funny, after hearing the sample of what might be one of the '68 pieces (or maybe a Zabriskie track?) -- and the mouth-watering two seconds of Beechwoods and other teasers on the "what's in the box" video -- I no longer want to hear any more unheard goodies. I'm going to (try, really try, to) save all remaining surprises till the box arrives, then be the kid on Christmas morning!

7. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Back to Two Of A Kind: It does sound like a Syd number, but it also sounds like a Rick number. I'll take Gilmour at his word. As others say, he always gives Syd credit where it's due and doesn't seem to have an agenda concerning him beyond protecting his legacy [DG may be a little draconian with the quality control but that's another debate].

So if it wasn't written by Rick at the time in Syd-stylee explicitly for him to cover, then I'd hazard a guess it's an early Rick composition with plenty of input from the others. I think what we keep forgetting here is how collaborative a process composition/arrangement seemed to be with the early Floyd. Just because someone's name is on the credits doesn't mean the song magically sprang fully-formed from their pen - not everyone is Pete Townshend in that respect. Each member was key to their sound, which is why they were able to eventually recover and uh, regroup, even though things fell apart for a while when Syd departed.

8. anth67

I'd agree that if it's Rick's it's likely an earlier composition. With Gilmour observing that Syd actually "thought he'd wrote it," it's harder to imagine he'd have forgotten that if it were recent. (And easier to over-estimate his contribution if it were earlier.)

Just for the record, I'm not suggesting any deliberate agenda from Gilmour here; merely that he could be mistaken.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  9. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Although I absolutely love Richard's songwriting style (especially the period from Atom Heart Mother to Dark Side of the Moon, if one can throw in the songs from the Saucerful era while avoiding Sysyphus from Ummagumma), I will admit at times it is a little easier than I'd thought to mistake someone else's penmanship for his own. Canadian group April Wine has a song on their "Electric Jewels" album from 1973 (which I've been enjoying ever since before I could fluidly speak, much less attend school): the leadoff track, "Weeping Widow", is credited to a R. Wright. Listening to the composition style (though not the performance itself), it is very easy to mistake this as a Richard Wright composition (even the cover credits are misleading!). Turns out the song was written by a Robert Wright (also known as "Art La King"), a British friend of April Wine's producer (and English ex-pat) Ralph Murphy. With this in mind, I thoroughly sympathize with those having difficulty discerning if "Two of a Kind" was actually written by Rick, by Syd, by both, by the whole first lineup, etc.

michanes and andrewskyDE like this.
  10. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

From here (A rare Rick Wright interview from 1996)

Q: In an article on you in Record Collector magazine, the author mentions at the end that you wrote a song called "Two Of A Kind" that appeared on a Syd Barrett radio session for the John Peel show. But on my copy of that EP, Barrett is given sole writing credit. Could you please clear this up?

RW: Can't answer, I am looking into this.

11. Gil

Gil Well-Known Member

Celestial Voices
    . So atmospheric and beautiful. Can't imagine the experience of watching Pink Floyd around this time period.

Magic!

P.S. This performance is from Essen, Germany. October 11, 1969, if I'm not mistaken.

12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Is there some kind of ASCAP/BMI database that could answer this?

13. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Ha, was he going to look into whether he wrote it, or the songwriter credit?

That could be interpreted either way. Syd and Rick were two of a kind I guess.

14. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Love that we are discussing THAT particular song. At the time me and my wife fell in love ( long distance relationship at first) back in 2007 she wanted to surprise me by quoting something romantic and Floyd related (good luck) and managed to find this sweet lyric that I needed a little moment to recognize. Shortly after I got the chance to do a recording on decent equipment and sung this song with my friend strumming a guitar and sent it back to her. Became one of "our" songs.

Had only vaguely heard that it was a Wright song before now.

15. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Well, I found the ASCAP and BMI searches, and neither has a record of this song, or at least this song affiliated with Rick or Syd. There are, as you might imagine, hundreds of songs with that same title.

16. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

Sorry to go back to this subject but I'm curious : what are the other dates of Corporal Clegg recording sessions that Glenn Povey would have mention ?

17. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

1 February
    7 February
    8 February
    12 February (orchestral end section "Edit Piece")
    15 February (remixed, with lead vocals) & (remixed without lead vocals)
    25 March ("Edit for End Section")
    24 April (remixed)
    30 April (remixed)

Wyd Syatt likes this.
  18. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

wow looks crystal clear

michanes and andrewskyDE like this.
  19. It looks like there is no easy way to collect all the Zabriskie Point material without picking up some songs from ROIOs, such as The Complete Zabriskie Point Sessions (which are not complete). The new release will have some new shorter edits of soundtrack songs we already have access to -for example, Crumbling Land Take One appears to be 52 seconds shorter on the new release. And where is the Red Queen's Theme on this new release? A strange omission. I'm not sure of the name of the song available as "Oneone" on some ROIOs, but hopefully it is included in this release.

The Complete Zabriskie Point Sessions:

1 Rain in the country take one 06:44
    2 The violent sequence take one 06:06
    3 The red queen theme take one 02:05
    4 Fingal's cave take one 06:42
    5 Theme take two 01:19 $0.15
    6 Rain in the country take two 01:45
    7 Love scene take one 06:44
    8 Love scene take two 06:36
    9 Blues scene take one 07:10
    10 Fingal's cave take two 06:21
    11 Love scene take three 01:02
    12 Love scene take four 07:36
    13 The red queen theme take two 05:44
    14 Crumbling land take one 05:01
    15 Unknown song take one 05:53

DEVI/ATION
    Unreleased tracks from the ‘Zabriskie Point’ soundtrack recordings:

1. On The Highway† 1.16
    2. Auto Scene Version 2† 1.13
    3. Auto Scene Version 3† 1.31
    4. Aeroplane† 2.18
    5. Explosion† 5.47
    6. The Riot Scene† 1.40
    7. Looking At Map† 1.57
    8. Love Scene Version 7† 5.03
    9. Love Scene Version 1† 3.26
    10. Take Off† 1.20
    11. Take Off Version 2† 1.12
    12. Love Scene Version 2† 1.56
    13. Love Scene (Take 1)† 2.16
    14. Unknown Song (Take 1)† 5.56
    15. Love Scene (Take 2)† 6.40
    16. Crumbling Land (Take 1)† 4.09

Zabriskie Point Expanded Soundtrack:
    Disk 1
    8 Come In Number 51, Your Time Is Up 04:59
    9 Crumbling Land 04:13
    10 Heart Beat, Pig Meat 03:09

Disk 2
    1 Love Scene Improvisations Version I 06:16
    2 Love Scene Improvations [Version 2] 07:58
    3 Love Scene Improvisations Version III 07:51
    4 Love Scene Improvisations Version IV 08:06
    5 Country Song 04:36
    6 Unknown Song 05:58
    7 Love Scene [Version 6] 07:24
    8 Love Scene Version IV 06:42

20. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I think it might be easier to wait until we have the set to do proper comparisons, because until then, we are stuck speculating and guessing a bit. I hope we get that brilliant quip from Roger about "f'ing music" on here. What a hoot!

anth67 likes this.
  21. anth67

I hope they considered that one a must-include....

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  22. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

These tracks are not by Pink Floyd, but by Jerry Garcia, who also had a go at the Love Scene.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  23. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

Thanks.
    It's interesting to learn that, while preparing the mixes of yet unreleased songs for the belgian promo, they also did an instrumental mix of Corporal Clegg, certainly to be sung upon live on TV shows.
    They may have considered releasing this song as a single at that point, eventually scraping this project while on the european tour.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  24. Where's the fun in that? :D

25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The Zabriskie Point stuff is just headache inducing, especially since many tracks go by more than one name! I'm not even entirely sure that my Zabriskie Collection (comprised first of the official expanded soundtrack, and then augmented with a healthy dose of currently bootlegged only tracks) contains everything available.

Note: the music itself is not headache inducing, just to be clear. It's some awesome stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.