Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Pricing & Shipping ONLY!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

But they won't actually charge until it's time to ship, right?

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Yes, no charges until they ship. It's a gamble, really. If you pick an out-of-country business that doesn't charge until they ship and the currency exchange shifts in their country's favor, you're out of luck. If you pay at checkout, and it shifts in your country's favor, you lose out.

Alternately, if the price on the box set declines, Amazon does have their pre-order guarantee, so -- pick your poison, I guess.

lightbulb likes this.
  3. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I have mine locked in at 3 different amazon sites. I will cancel 2 of them in early November.

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

For this purely selfish reason, I keep hoping that the British pound will continue to struggle this fall.

5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Yes, in order to preorder, you need to order.
    :cool:

bobloblaw likes this.
  6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Please be careful what you wish for!
    Don't say that!

To my regret, a few months ago I started a thread inquiring about Brexit and the GBP prices on Amazon UK.

At that time, since I wasn't too aware of the overall impact and residual effect of that vote; here on my local news the economic situation in the UK was just a quick 3 minute segment, without much detail of the impact of the situation on the people.

However, I learned very quickly from several members here that the drop of the GBP is very serious, and due to that historic vote, there are very serious concerns and ramifications.

In short, I was informed by posters I was very insensitive and selfish for my inquiry.
    Furthermore, my thread was "distasteful, disrespectful, untimely, insensitive."

The thread was closed quickly, and so I was unable to explain my true intentions - which was not to gain profit at the expense of other's economic loss, suffering, pain and/or misery.

As if that would have mattered or made a difference to anyone.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    granata likes this.
  7. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Something weird just happened with this link for me... I placed a pre-order, and then Amazon.co.uk doesn't list the order in my order history... or even my "hidden orders", for that matter (didn't know this existed). As the link seems to be to the mobile site, I opened a new window and surfed to the full site at Amazon.co.uk ...still nothing. Huh? Anyone with experience on this?

Update: Wait... the order just appeared... at 0.00 Pounds? I wasn't expecting THAT big a discount!

2nd Update: Now it's listed in my _Cancelled_ orders. This is getting a bit too psychedelic for me...

3rd Update: Reordered through "Buy This Again" button, order now shows 316 Pounds (equivalent to $543 Canadian, or about $422 US).

4th Update: And order cancelled AGAIN!

5th Update: Attempted to order a THIRD time. Order cancelled IMMEDIATELY. What gives???

6th Update: After sending a message to Amazon.co.uk through their website, I stumbled across messages I received, saying my order was cancelled as Amazon.co.uk couldn't charge my credit card... for a Pre-Order two months ahead of the release date??? I'm confused here. :crazy:

Oh! And where are my manners? Thanks for the link, JLF! :D

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  8. BarneyRubble

Got a response from Amazon.co.uk where they pretty much confirmed they cancelled the order after failing to get payment from my credit card. So I'm guessing that the "You only pay when we get ready to ship the item" feature long present with pre-orders from Amazon.com and Amazon.ca is non-existent with Amazon.co.uk ? Or is this just for overseas orders?

9. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

In my experience Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de don't charge you until you ship, you get the preorder price guarantee and you can cancel until they ship. They may run your card through to make sure it works when you place a preorder but they don't actually charge you.

10. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Checking reality of the card, amazon.uk usually blocks only 1 p, in several days the sum comes back to your card. But never writes off payment before sending goods.

nathan_h and Vinyl Addict like this.
  11. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Yeah, this sounds like they tried to pre-authorize the card for a nominal amount but it was declined. @BarneyRubble , I assume you've ordered from Amazon UK previously, but have you ever used this specific credit card when doing so? Some card issuers can be pretty cautious about international transactions even if you have a history of ordering items from overseas, and will decline those transactions until you explicitly green-light them.

Also, attempted charges for small amounts (such as those that would typically be done for a pre-auth) frequently set off fraud alerts, as it's common for someone trying to use a stolen card to attempt a small purchase first, then if that goes through OK, they'll try multiple large purchases successively until the card gets cancelled.

eelkiller likes this.
  12. Many credit cards will block the first few international purchases you attempt until you call the card's customer service. It's meant for fraud prevention since most people rarely mail order outside their home country.

eelkiller and LSP2003 like this.
  13. BarneyRubble

Thanks for all your input on this! If it is actually a 1p pre-authorization, I may go ahead and pre-order on a "less secure" credit card. With the nature of the Internet (and pre-orders, at times!) being unpredictable as it is, I have a couple of "safe" (re: pre-paid/gift) credit cards where if someone tries to charge something too early/unexpectedly, it usually comes back as "declined". Having ordered from Amazon.co.uk before, I thought I'd be able to do the same as I usually do... this time, however, not so much. I'll contact them and if it does turn out that they only pre-authorize 1p (as who can afford a $550 authorization on their credit card, apart from those with no limit and no interest rate?), I may attempt to order again. Fingers crossed!

14. uzumaki45

uzumaki45 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to purchase from Amazon.co.uk however since this box set has bluray discs, does anyone know if compatibility will be an issue in the US? Will they be manufacturing different region discs?

15. AWESOM-O

AWESOM-O Forum Resident

Per a few sources, all discs are region free (and DVDs are Region 0 / NTSC).

uzumaki45 likes this.
  16. Chellovek

Chellovek Forum Resident

Should we expect a better price for this set on Black Friday? I wonder if it would be worth waiting until November 25 to see if Amazon drops the price significantly.

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Any adult with a limit of $5,000.00 or more ? Also, interest isn't an issue if you pay the bill in full each month.

18. I think that is doubtful. Prior deluxe Pink Floyd reissues have rarely dropped in price. As the physical media market shrinks, labels aren't manufacturing as many excess copies as they once did in the past.

This is such an expensive set I don't think it will hit regular retail stores.

The Beave likes this.
  19. Chellovek

Chellovek Forum Resident

Yeah you have a point. I think I was being a bit too hopeful.

20. BarneyRubble

You're presuming I have (or want) a credit card with that high a limit. Credit card theft is way too easy nowadays, even with the "tap" and chip and the like (which seem to make it even easier). I place as much as I can on debit, and keep that card safe at all times (PS: Canadian debit is different from US debit: I believe the US works more with "Debit Visa" and "Debit Mastercard", whereas Interac Debit is the norm over here).

21. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Careful With That Amex, Eugene.

Coricama, bobcat, noname74 and 6 others like this.
  22. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

With the changes in exchange rates over the last two and a half months, Amazon UK is now just a few US dollars above Amazon IT (at the July 28th price) shipped to the US (and with a shorter shipping time).

Chellovek likes this.
  23. Chellovek

Chellovek Forum Resident

That's true, I realized that yesterday. I'm glad, since I'd rather deal with Amazon UK's customer service than with Amazon IT's, given my crappy italian.

24. Just as a caveat, the Free Vinyl Box Set had a Pre-0rder price of £85, then two weeks before release shot up to £125, then dropped down to £102 two weeks after release.

Chellovek likes this.
  25. Chellovek

Chellovek Forum Resident

I already have it preordered, but I'm dreaming of a price drop before release date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.