The Alan Parson Project - Anthology (All The Best)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The_Windmill, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

This was my first introduction to The APP.
    I was captured by the abstract cover design and mesmerized by the music immediately.
    As I understand it came out in Italy only.
    Considering how cheaply made the All The Best series seemed to have been done, I doubt these are new transfers but I was wondering if someone out there has ever compared this tracks with their album counterparts.
    At least some EQ to even out the tracks mast have been applied.
    Just curious.

Anyone?

Thank you

2. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I tried to find this album on 7Digital Italy and iTunes Italy but I didn't succeed. I have most of the original and remastered CDs. For I Robot I also have the MoFi. I could make some quick A/B tests if you provide me short samples. It would be worth checking a couple of songs from different albums...

The_Windmill likes this.
  3. The_Windmill

No problem, the album is already ripped and backed up.
    Just place you order and you'll have your samples.

albertop likes this.
  4. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I Robot or I Wouldn't want to be like you are good benchmarks IMO. Also Hyper-Gamma-Spaces and Eye in the sky (it's probably easier to check differences when the tracks include vocals).
    Looking forward to listening some samples!

5. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

[​IMG]

Interesting. This Anthology is from the U.K. Fifteen songs.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

AVOID this CD at all costs! I used to own it and the sound is not very good!

7. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Don't know about this CD, but "The Definitive Collection" (1997 Remaster) sounds quite good. There are a couple of versions around (also available from 7Digital), with different track listing.

8. Chris C

9. MDW

MDW Howard The Duck's Biggest Fan

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  10. Chris C

Best sounding "Turn Of A Friendly Card" digitally for me, is the 2004 "Classic Records" HDAD (Long out of print and now VERY expensive, if you can even find one, but worth the cost and hunt, if you love that album).

https://www.discogs.com/The-Alan-Parsons-Project-The-Turn-Of-A-Friendly-Card/release/2236311

MDW likes this.
  11. MDW

12. Chris C

Again, if you really like that album, it's a must to have. I'm sure that if you do a search on this forum and elsewhere, you'll read very high praise from others about the CLASSIC RECORDS HDAD version!

MDW likes this.
  13. MDW

Would it be safe to assume their vinyl pressing is also superior?

14. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

A couple of threads that I found useful about that:
    REVIEW - The Turn of a Friendly Card, Classic Records HDAD » (this for the HDAD)

Alan Parsons Project - remasters or originals? » (this is for originals vs. remasters)

I've never heard the HDAD unfortunately :( but I find the remastered version quite good, and it's easy to find! (Eye in the sky and this album are the two I like among the remastered CDs).

There is one for sale from Discogs... expensive though :)
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2236311?ev=rb

MDW likes this.
  15. The_Windmill

Same name, totally different album.
    Understandable, as I believe the Italian one was just for the internal market.

Sorry for the delay, I was more out of house than not these days. Today I'll prepare the samples.

16. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

17. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

There were lots of different 'Best of' releases for APP over the years in several EU countries. I have this double CD that, to my knowledge, was only released in Holland. I quite like the sound of it:

https://www.discogs.com/Alan-Parsons-Project-The-Ultimate-Collection/release/900859

And also this single disc:

https://www.discogs.com/Alan-Parsons-Project-Pop-Classics/release/1954792

Of course, I picked up all the individual CDs later on, even including AP solo albums and the Eric Woolfson Freudiana disc.

18. The_Windmill

19. Chris C

???
    My "Definitive Collection" starts with "System Of Doctor Tarr" and "The Raven", both from "Tales"

One must remember this about The Alan Parsons Project catalog and that is that EVERY A.P.P. original album, except "Tales", were all on Arista, now owned by Sony, while "Tales" was on 20th Century, which is now owned by Universal. Any time that there is a comp of their songs, Arista would have to pay license to Universal, for any "Tales" songs to be included.

20. The_Windmill

IIRC there are two versions around, one is missing the two tracks from Tales

Sytze likes this.
  21. Chris C

Good to know, but I put a direct link in post #8 above, of the version of "Definitive Collection" that I own.

22. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Downloaded. I'll get back to you asap.
    Cheers

23. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I did some A/B tests, comparing your samples to some of my CD and SACD rips:
    - none of your tracks correspond to any of mine. Different versions, I suppose adjusted for the collection album
    - there are two bad sounding tracks, in my opinion: "I Robot" and "I wouldn't want to be like you". Both the original Arista CD and the MoFi SACD beat your versions - more detail, more punch... your two tracks sound muffled, a lot
    - Eye in the sky sounds pretty good to me, it's almost identical to my old CD (that disc has never sounded bad, neither the original nor the remaster). You could be happy with your version!
    - Hyper-Gamma-Spaces doesn't sound bad, but I've heard better versions. The standard releases (especially the remaster) beat it
    In summary, I believe your CD is not really the best sounding compilation of AAP... Why don't you get the Definitive Collection or a couple of studio albums you like? But be careful... some of the new remasters are very bright and not to the taste of everyone. I would avoid Tales of Mystery and I Robot in particular.

I hope this helps!

The_Windmill likes this.
  24. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

My "Definitive Collection" from '97 (Arista 74321 51746 2) starts with 'I Robot' and has no 'Tales...' tracks. Could there be another comp with the same title but different tracks?
    I do have a 3cd 'Essential' set that does have four 'Tales...' selections btw, plus the previously unreleased (so says the sleeve) 'No Answers Only Questions'.

EDIT: I just saw the post by The_Windmill about two versions circulating... one without the 'Tales...' tracks apparently.

Chris C likes this.
  25. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

There is one with the two Tales track coming out of Russia. Call it a hunch ;) but I believe that one isn't legit...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.