How popular was Suzi Quatro in the US?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

One of the interesting things about Bowie's 80's success was that an ordinary song like "Blue Jean" charted higher than "Ziggy Stardust","Starman" etc.

2. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

It was very much so. Because of WMMS mostly. It was the #1 progressive rock radio station in the nation according to Rolling Stone Magazine....... for I think at least a few years. Cleveland was considered a "spring board" for new and aspiring bands. The Rock and Roll hall of Fame is in Cleveland for a reason. Most people never heard of Ian Dury and the Blockheads, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music...and many others. But I got to see them live. I was just talking about the Bowie vs Bruce Springsteen in another thread going on here. I saw Bruce at the Allen Theatre before I even knew who he was. Somebody said, go to the Allen tonight, this scruffy looking dude in a black leather jacket from Jersey is singing some great stuff. Lou Reed.....Iggy....everybody.

And to this day I still love Chrissie Hynde.

3. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I'm not completely surprised. The Ziggy stuff might have been just a hair too ahead of its time to be embraced by top 40 radio upon initial release.

4. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

What's the sound quality like on the Suzi Quatro re-issues 0n the 7t's label?

5. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

They sound not bad at all. I have most of them. Slight compression is there, but not excessive. From memory DR on Your Momma... is 9-10.

6. John22

John22 Forum Resident

7. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

i agree she retains a lot of affection here in her adopted country but to me, like an otherwise decent band the Sweet she is too associated with the Chinychap manufactured dros that dominated the UK singles charts 72-5....it was a very grim time if you were a young teenager music wise.

8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Possibly considering making my own 3CD SQ comp.

Darryl

9. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

If only...

[​IMG]

trumpet sounds likes this.
  10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

T.Rex, Roxy Music, Gary Glitter, David Bowie, Sweet, Mott The Hoople. Alice Cooper, Slade all dominated the UK charts in 72-75.
    Yeah right, what a grim time to be a young teenager!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    uzn007 likes this.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I just remember her from Happy Days, really. Great character, though.

12. AFOS

Yeah a great era for pop

bob60 likes this.
  13. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I was around 12 when i first heard Coz i Luv You by Slade and i was hooked. I had singles by Slade, T. Rex, Bowie, Suzi Quatro, Wizzard, Alice Cooper, The Sweet, amongst others. First lp was Slade Alive! Slade were the first band i got into in a serious way.

It was the very first time i had gotten into music on my own. Prior to that i'd just been listening to my older brothers' records. Stuff like Traffic, The Stones, The Beatles, The Yardbirds.

Early seventies were fantastic for music, the british glam rock scene was great.[nothing like the American glam rock.]

bob60 likes this.
  14. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

As has been stated already in this thread, if she had sounded as good as she looked, she would have been amazing. Everything about her image was fantastic. The name, the hair, the photo shoots. Absolute killer, and the stuff that the best posters and ads in Rolling Stone and Melody Maker are made of. The songs just weren't ever up to snuff, unfortunately.

The same could be said, IMO, of The Runaways and Amanda Lear. But I suppose those are other topics for other threads.

15. muffmasterh

yes it was if you add to Garry Glitter, the likes of the glitter band, Mud, the Bay City Rollers maybe you can understand why i found it all so grim.

Also Sweet sold their soul to become a chinnychap manufactured act like Suzi Quatro and lost much of their credibility.

However i will of course give you great acts like Bowie, Alice Cooper Roxy Music Mott the Hoople & pre 74 T Rex others like 10cc and to a lesser extent Slade but none of those aside from pre 74 T Rex and Slade never really dominated the charts, & the idea that Bowie dominated the charts is a modern revisionism.

Manufactured claptrap and novelty records dominated the charts. unhappy days indeed

16. muffmasterh

i ticked you up for this because i assumed you were being sarcastic ? the other tick was i suspect from somebody whom assumed you were not....o_O

17. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

She has a new album out in January with ex members of the Sweet. I think they're calling themselves QSP. The new material with Mike Chapman and the new tracks on her recent boxset and also great

18. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Huge here in USSR

19. AFOS

No, love the pop from that era.

20. muffmasterh

oh well my bad , i spent that era dreaming of the lost golden age of the 60's it was a long wait until i was saved by 77....

trumpet sounds likes this.
  21. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

If this is the best I don't need to hear the rest. What a turd of a song.

muffmasterh likes this.
  22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

She was bigger than religion in Australia. Can the Can and Quatro sold squillions of copies.

23. muffmasterh

exactly, the notion that Bowie " dominated " the charts in the 70's is a revisionist myth, his chart success during the Lets Dance period probably eclipsed any success he had previously, however that does not diminish his importance as an artist in the 70's as that far exceeded his chart success - and while he was for sure still a big chart act he never " dominated " as some claimed here.

Bowie is one of the few - and certainly the most important - pop act who was very active during and survived thru that period that taste forgot 72-6 without ever appearing at all naff even most around him including his band looked it...he managed to transcend any naffness of glam

24. muffmasterh

u went nuts for Abba too, but history has been kinder to Abba probably because they wrote their own great pop songs.

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Finished My SQ Comp...

Suzi Quatro - Stumblin' Under Leather

Disc 1

Rolling Stone (2:45)
    Can The Can (3:31)
    48 Crash (3:54)
    Shine My Machine (3:49)
    Glycerine Queen (3:46)
    Shakin' All Over (3:32)
    Sticks And Stones (3:39)
    I Wanna Be Your Man (3:18)
    Primitive Love (4:09)
    Daytona Demon (3:38)
    Devil Gate Drive (3:46)
    Too Big (3:18)
    All Shook Up (3:48)
    The Wild One (2:48)

Disc 2

Keep A Knockin' (3:12)
    A Shot Of Rhythm & Blues (4:52)
    Klondyke Kate (3:29)
    Hit The Road Jack (3:56)
    Cat Size (4:39)
    You Mama Won't Like Me (3:56)
    I Bit Off More Than I Could Chew (3:41)
    Michael (3:31)
    Paralsed (2:44)
    I May Be Too Young (2:57)
    Tear Me Apart (2:55)
    Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me) (3:43)
    Wake Up Little Susie (2:49)
    Half As Much As Me (4:12)

Disc 3

Roxy Roller (3:06)
    If You Can't Give Me Love (3:53)
    The Race Is On (4:02)
    Stumblin' In (with Chris Norman) (3:57)
    Don't Change My Luck (3:43)
    I've Never Been In Love (3:02)
    She's In Love With You (3:32)
    Mama's Boy (3:35)
    Love Hurts (2:45)