Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Stockholm, Sweden - April 29, 1966
    Stockholm Concert Hall; Stockholms Konserthus; ’Konserthuset’
    Address: Hötorget 8
    Started 1923
    Completed 1926
    Capacity1,770

One of Sweden's architectural masterpieces in the neoclassical style of the 1920's, the Concert Hall was built especially to house the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra. Apart from being a venue for world-class concerts, it hosts the annual Nobel Prize Award Ceremony and the Polar Music Prizes.

With a design by Ivar Tengbom chosen in competition, inaugurated in 1926, the Hall is home to the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra. It is also where the awarding ceremonies for the Nobel Prize and the Polar Music Prize are held annually. The interior includes work by Ewald Dahlskog, and the walls and ceiling in the minor hall, now known as Grünewald Hall, were painted by Isaac Grünewald. The exterior is the site of sculptor Carl Milles' 1936 bronze fountain, the Orfeus-brunnen ("the Orpheus Well"). Many pop and rock concerts by famous artists have taken place at the Stockholm Concert Hall.[1]

[​IMG]
    Interior, 2001:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

3. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I actually think the packaging is perfect. I don't think they want this box to look TOO "pretty" -- after all, to a non-hardcore fan this is a massive box with repetitive tracklists and several dodgy-sounding audience tapes. They didn't want it under the (now ironically) prestigious "Bootleg Series" banner, so they made it look more like an actual bootleg -- and just like the good ol' bootleg days of yore, it's about what's INSIDE the package that matters, right? :agree:

5. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Copenhagen, Denmark - May 1, 1966
    K.B. Hallen
    Built 1938
    Capacity 3,000

K.B. Hallen was a multi-purpose venue located at Peter Bangs Vej in the Frederiksberg district of Copenhagen, Denmark. It was built in 1938 by Kjøbenhavns Boldklub (KB), Copenhagen's oldest ball-playing club who still owns the site, but was severely damaged by fire on 28 September 2011.
    It was used primarily for badminton, tennis, basketball and volleyball, but also hosted other events, including dance tournaments and flea markets.[1] As a concert hall, it held a capacity of 3,000 people and was often the scene of rock and pop concerts, and in 1964 The Beatles played their first and only concert on Danish grounds in K.B.Hallen.
    The building was used for a number of concerts. Artists to have performed at the hall include Beniamino Gigli, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Josephine Baker, Count Basie, Mary Lou Williams, Leo Mathisen, Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy, The Beatles (1964), The Rolling Stones (1966), Janis Joplin, Fleetwood Mac (1969) Love + Procol Harum (1970), The Band (1971), Pink Floyd, Steve Miller Band, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Slade, The Who, Stephen Stills Manassas (1972), Frank Zappa (1973), Eric Clapton (1974), Jack Bruce (1975), Metallica (1988), Aerosmith (1989), Iron Maiden (1988, 1990, 1992, 1995), Skid Row+L.A. Guns (1991), Keith Richards (1992), Megadeth (1995), Smashing Pumpkins (1996), Toto (1996, 1999, 2010, 2011), Kraftwerk, Papa Roach, The Prodigy (2004), Asia, Dio, Uriah Heep (2005), Slipknot og Busta Rhymes (2006), My Chemical Romance (2007), Whitesnake, Slipknot (2008), Deep Purple, Mötley Crüe (1989+2009), Deftones, Coheed, Cambria (2010) and Joe Bonamassa/Black Country Communion in 2011. Others to have performed there over the years include Alice Cooper, Great White, Radiohead, Chuck Berry, System of A Down, G3, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Alice In Chains, Ozzy Osbourne, Gary Moore, Uriah Heep, Motörhead, Def Leppard, Evanescence, Nightwish, Marilyn Manson, Machine Head, Foo Fighters, Oasis, B.B. King, The Moody Blues, Dream Theater, The Cult, Kiss, Scorpions, Dragonforce, Slayer, Sheryl Crow, Stone Temple Pilots, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Queensrÿche, Paul McCartney & Wings, Rammstein, Green Day, The Black Crowes and Jethro Tull.

[​IMG]
    Interior:
    [​IMG]
    Denmark Dylan:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

7. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

8. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

(British Isles, next stop, later on today).

9. Mrsharko

Mrsharko Forum Resident

Re: 1966 coffee table book... Barry Feinstein, Dylans official photographer for this tour and the 74 tour put out just such a book a few years ago. It's called Real Moments, Photographs of Bob Dyaln 1966-1974. It's mostly 66 with a short section on 74 at the end. He has some anecdotes about the huge flag in Paris and talks about the ferry scene that was used for the cover of No Direction Home.
    It's available on amazon. Real Moments -Photographs of Bob Dylan 1966-1974: Barry Feinstein: 9781847721051: Books - Amazon.ca »

10. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

No, I don't! Well, maybe a medal. Really, this is the kind of research I'm inclined to do to satisfy my own curiosity, so it's nice to have a place to compile it and share with others interested in such things.

11. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

This thread is awesome it's like an official lead up to box set release, can't wait.

12. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

April 23rd was Perth, Australia.
    April 29th was Stockholm, Sweden.

They had four or five days to get there. God knows how long the flights were to get to Sweden, so they must have lost a day in between. A direct flight from Australia to Sweden at that time? Don't know. No idea what they did with the few days of down-time. Would be interesting to know. Would they have bothered to rehearse to get Mr. (Mickey) Jones more acquainted?

asdf35 likes this.
  13. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

With so many different sources it would be a nightmare to arrange all the separate copyrights with individual photographers, and more expensive than making a deal with just a single rights-holder. It probably wouldn't pay off in the end. Still, I would buy it if could happen.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. Leon dL

Leon dL Forum Resident

London, Mayfair Hotel

[​IMG].
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Paris (Monique Valentin)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  15. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Ah yes, the Stockholm Concert Hall. Thank you notesfrom for all these. I happen to be a Swede myself , and I have been to several concerts there. In the 1980s mainly, in my youth. Mostly new wave acts (Simple Minds, Ultravox, Elvis Costello, Echo & the Bunnymen spring to mind). They don't give pop or rock concerts there anymore I think, only classical. Alas I was not born when Dylan played there, was born not long after though.

Around 1991 I was on a train in Sweden, reading Shelton's biography on Dylan. A man opposite me, about 45-50 years of age, noticed it and said he had been to the Stockholm concert in 1966. This was legendary stuff of course, so I asked him what he remembered from it. As I recall, he said there was some booing and some angry people, but that he himself liked the electric portion. I just thought it was great to have met a person who had actually been to a 1966 Dylan concert.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Suppose the booklet pics will do the job nicely.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  17. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Wow, I love this corduroy jacket even better than the blue suede London one. I wonder what color it is. In a just world, it'd be kind of a deep dark plum, but it looks more black/brown.

Lost In The Flood and goer like this.
  18. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

In 1982 I got married to someone who attended "The Real Royal Albert Hall 1966 Concert". For those who have not read my account of my wife's memories of that evening on Expecting Rain last week I may be persuaded to expand on this statement when the mighty "notesfrom" venue tour reaches the RAH.

19. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident

Please do. Reading the stories and seeing the photos of venues and outfits in the same order as the tour is almost as good as watching a 23 hour documentary on the same subject!

20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

But I want that 23 hour documentary too.

21. One thing to point out thus far through the tour is how fortunate it is for posterity that Dylan's popularity was not such that big sports stadium bookings were mandated - as in the case with the Beatles on their '65 & '66 U.S. tours. Thus the better acoustics and easier logistics of these 'designed for performance' venues would have definitely been a factor in their being recorded at this level of quality.

And once again I'm surprised if not shocked at the fact that everything was somehow preserved in Columbia's - or someone's - archives all this time. But after their success in recovering most of the original Basement Tapes, I guess I shouldn't be...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  22. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

It's fantastic - thank you

TyroneSlothrop and notesfrom like this.
  23. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident

You deserve a free copy of the box IMO, really great work (no pressure)

24. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

There are often quite a few in London when he plays that were at the Albert Hall. I met a lady who was there on the tube platform at Hammersmith in 1990 - she asked if I wanted to touch the hem of her leopard-skin jacket.

25. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

My wife married someone who saw Dylan in 1966 too. ;-)