Speakers to buy at or under $1000 for dual duty on music/home theater?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chiliarches, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I'd check out Tekton Lores.

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Here is my link to my original post about the Boston Acoustic speakers.

I own a pair and they are nice for HT and Stereo.

What you will like and one of the reasons I bought them is: THEY ARE NOT HARSH! They are accurate, without being clinical sounding.

Years back, I had a Pair of Klipsch KG 5.5's, with a Yamaha AVR.

A recent acquisition is a vintage Scott tube integrated amplifier from the early 60's.

But they are warm and will handle the power to fill your room/

And they are audiophile enough for your classical music and smooth enough for jazz (which is one of my main listening preferences).

Check them out here.

These really are speakers that were designed to sell for $2,500/pr. they will knock you out!

Suggestion, avoid most Chinese tube amplifiers. Line Magnetic seems to be an approved favorite around here.

If you are looking for big, room filling sound, better off with Rogue.

I ran the M-350's, with an Emotiva SS XPA-2, 250-WPC into 8-ohms, or 400-WPC into 8-ohms.

Curious thing about the M-350's, Half of the information I have read, indicates an 8-ohm speaker, and half the information indicated a 4-ohm speakers. This includes reviews and information from Boston Acoustic themselves, The XPA-2, can handle either. I'm still not sure what ohm rating they are?

They are efficient, but I doubt that you will get a real big room filling sound out of them with most Chinese amplifiers. They are better choices right here in the USA.

They sound fine with a good SS, like the Emotiva and I own 5-tube amplifiers.

You really need some power if you want to get that big sound, and that is no reflection on the speakers (or similar speakers), needing so many watts before they "open up".

S&G

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  3. Chiliarches

Chiliarches Forum Resident Thread Starter

That is a lot of good advice, thank you.

I keep looking at those M350s...the price is fantastic...I just can't quite believe that those tiny woofer could produce the bass, soundstage, and sense of SIZE that I associate with large speakers. Do they?

4. SandAndGlass

I own very large Altec Lansing A'7's and I do not like small sound.

Except for bookshelf speakers that are used in the bedrooms, I have large tower speakers.

Including Zu Audio Omen Definitions (75lbs each), Polk RTiA9's (75lbs each), Polk LSim707's (100lbs. each).

The shipping weight on the M-350's are 167lbs (and free shipping). I paid half price for these $1,250 (plus 6% sales tax) and I think that was a killer deal, now these last ones are $900.

Show me a better deal out there. These can be put in the nicest of homes, with their black piano finish. At the time, they were the best home stereo speakers that I have ever owned. I doubt that 98% of the people in the US have speakers as nice and as nice sounding as these.

Look at the exploded view, that moter structure on these speakers are massive. They can handle power, You don't even need tube amplification to make them sound good.

Most modern day tower speakers are designed to sound good with SS amps. These sound great with a good SS amp. For under a grand, you can get a fine Emotiva that will allow the dynamics that these speakers are capable of.

Really stay away from that Chinese tube stuff, it is not going to do it for you, unless you spend a lot of money buying high power tube stuff and then, it still is not going to get you the sound that you can get for under two grand, with these speakers and a Emotiva two channel amp.

I get good large, dynamic sound, I just don't believe that I am going to spend stupid money to do it!

Believe me, you will get a large sense of size with these, if you properly power them.

Today, speakers are being made with small drivers that can put out some large sound. And this has many of those drivers! The cabinets are thick, knock on them and you will not be hearing resonances, it will feel like you are knocking on the trunk of a tree.

And, BTW, I buy my speaker cable from Amazon. 14 or 16 gauge RCA speaker wire. My, interconnects too, from a company called Kable on Amazon.

S&G

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:tiphat:

caupina likes this.
  6. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I have the Klipsch RP-280 f's, and I love 'em! I listened to them in a store before buying and compared them to another Klipsch model with similar specs. These were warmer because of the new tweeter housing, but not what I would call warm. Enough of a difference to make me pull the trigger. I use them in a 2 channel set up and they do NOT need a sub unless you're determined to shake the pictures off the wall. I listen to classic rock, classical, and jazz for the most part and these are great performers for all of those genres. In a HT environment you may want a sub for the effects, but not certain about that. At your price point I think you would be very happy with these!

7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

go listen to them, seems like a good deal. i have only heard the newest versions though.

8. avanti1960

never heard them but my dealer did not care for the Q series.

9. SandAndGlass

10. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

pssst...check these out...they're giving them away! get 2 pairs and stack 'em on top of each other...no stands needed!

4312D - JBL US »

11. avanti1960

those are for the older version. they are currently on V7 and retail for ~ 1700.00. They have an exceptional warm, smooth sound with bass that really punches hard.

12. motorcitydave

wow, no responses to this yet...can you guys believe this low of a price for those? i can't hell, i'm thinkin' about buying 2 pairs myself!

13. motorcitydave

i imagine the jbls do at $900 cheaper

14. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I have run a pair of Monitor Audio BX 5 floorstanders for 3 years.

I initially bought them as a stop gap when I moved into an apartment, but really like the sound, nice detail, in my mainly analogue set up at any rate.

Monitor Audio Bronze BX5 »

I think they have been replaced by the MA Bronze 5 now:

Bronze 5 »

These seem to retail for about £550 in the UK.

Good luck in your search.

15. motorcitydave

5 1/2 bass driver? lol no offense but that's wimpy...a limp noodle even, no bite. no balls...i'm willing to bet the jbls smoke those.

16. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

On a side note, does anybody know what stands these are? Sorry to get off topic!

17. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Your kid will knock anything down that isn't anchored to the wall. Trust me. :(

You will probably need a gate or a door to keep the little one safe.

19. motorcitydave

those aren't bad! nice choice!

20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Used Kef 104.2s. You'll love them. :)

21. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Yeah, I thought those and the Sphinx would have made a hell of a $2k system. Add a headless Mini or something for a music server and you would be rock and rolling.

22. motorcitydave

sure why not...and then add a turntable down the road...the sphinx does have an mm/mc phono stage, true?

but agaib i like idea of the stacked jbls for just under $800...what a friggin' steal...i just can't get over it lol..if only i they were around at that price when i got the s4700s

23. SandAndGlass

Maybe the current version is V7 for $1,700. The OP appears to be stating that they are V3, which are currently $1,149.

I don't think that the Paradigm is a bad speaker, it's not. It is a good value for the money they are well made and sound nice. They do have a large full sound, that I like. If the OP listens to them and is happy with their sound, then he should purchase them.

That, having been said, the BA M-150's are new and are well above the used V3's, in every way.

Most Canadian speakers, are towers, that seem to resemble traits of their Great Britain. Not harsh, warm sounding, not fatiguing, nice looking, well built and Ho-Hum! But, they are a good value for the money.

The retail price of the V3's are less than half the price of the original retail for the M-350's. I think that both of these speakers are priced fairly at retail. The M-350 is now available for $250 less than the V3. Better speaker for less money>

Manimal likes this.
  24. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Frontal ports are my cup of tea.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.