My iPod Classic 160g has died. What now?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by I333I, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Hifiman HM-901 with 256gig SD card.

2. james

james Summon The Queen

$250? I'd buy one right now at the price. If you ever see that price again, bump the thread or something!

gregorya and matteos like this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That is the reason I switched to the large capacity iPhone. I have to carry a phone, might as well have my music on it.

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

That's $900!!! A tad more than I'm willing to spend on a portable player. Especially when my ipod classic with 512gb cost me about $200.

Koma and Tyler Chastain like this.
  5. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Pono

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that, man. I love my iPod and will mourn the day on which it gives up the ghost.

7. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

kick the Apple device to the curb.. consider the alternative; it's mighty convenient to plug into any machine, drag and drop files just like any sensible storage device (non-apple)

check out the SanDisk players... they used to be mighty cheap, with a micro SDHC slot, radio, and audio recorder.. it's a nice little player.

8. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I dig iPods and everything Apple. It all just works for me. Convenient, syncs flawlessly with iTunes on my Mac Pro. I have 1200 CDs on the 160GB in AAC format (plenty good for car listening) with about 20GB to spare. Don't care to have music on or stream with the iPhone. Rather use the juice for talking on the phone, email & texting & web surfing and a few apps.

Still having issues with the Chevy MyLink system though. Earlier this afternoon I tested the repaired (as noted above), 160GB on a friend's Volt and it crashed and rebooted twice within a 10 minute period. The 80GB worked flawlessly. So I learned something: the 160GB needs work as does the MyLink system. I think I'll have the repair shop install as big an SSD as possible.

Going to try a different repair shop though - much more convenient - iGadgets on Sepulveda near Culver City. He's fixed a couple iPhones for my family.

wah wah wah...

billnunan likes this.
  9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Which of these players will work with a car connecting cable that will - and this is important - access the interface/NAV screen? My iPods do this while (for example) my Pono won't because the only outgoing cable is from the headphone jack?

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You have options, as many have mentioned. Either get the iPod you have repaired (or take it apart and DIY with parts), or just consider a new DAP. Pono and FiiO offerings are $400 or under, for example. Or you could get a high-capacity smartphone.

11. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I feel for you! Right now I have 4 iPod Classics and have owned every generation up to now. I must say they are quite unreliable and mine all died from hard drive failure after just over 3 years of use. On the other hand I have several 1st and 2nd generation iPod touch that are still going strong. Of the current 4 classics I own two are two years old purchased since new, one is brand new old stock and one was bought from a repair shop with a new hard drive.

I do all my listening with headphones and my DACs are all iPod compatible and I like their sound so prefer to keep using these iPods until they are dead. I can of course replace the hard drive with high capacity CF cards and change out the battery but one day I am just going find this annoying enough to ditch them and start over with the latest DAC players. But I like the convenience of iTunes so am torn about that.

When In Rome likes this.
  12. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

I replaced my iPod classic battery, or more accurately took it to a professional. Results have been great! Longer battery life and it operates like new. Watched the guy take the thing apart and it took him a long time. Was extremely tight. That was the hardest part. If I could have separated the case I could have done it myself.

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Two weeks ago I replaced my broken IPod Touch 64 GB with a Fiio X3 and I prefer it 1000% over the IPod already. It plays FLAC and High Resolution Audio formats. Highly recommend it.

When In Rome and gregorya like this.
  14. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Look at Fiio X3ii and the new X1. Both have physical buttons and a wheel, similar to the iPad. Also, both probably beat it in SQ.

15. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

As others have stated here, if you're the adventurous do-it-yourself fixit type you can certainly go under the hood of the iPod. I have done hard drive and battery replacements with no major issues other than doing minor cosmetic damage to the case when opening it.

If your USB/docking connector is the issue that may be a little more complex. Mine also loosened and I ended up sending it in for repair to one of the online repair sites. The dock is connected to the mainboard and I just didn't want to mess with that. Plus the dock connector/mainboard just didn't seem to be as common as battery, HD, case, etc. when looking for replacements.

If you decide to get the connector replaced and have it done by someone (or even if you do it yourself), I HIGHLY recommend that you install the SD card adapter at the same time. The adapter is $40 and 256gb cards can be had for ~$80 and below.

timind likes this.
  16. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

timind likes this.
  17. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

My iPod classic HD is on its way out now. Seems to be easy enough to swap in a new SD card HD, but I may just seek out a new original HD. I'm a stickler for original equipment.

18. timind

timind phorum rezident

If your ipod is a 5th generation or later, then it's fairly straightforward procedure. Also, while your in there, you could install an sd card adapter and sd card to at least double the ipod's capacity.

19. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

20. timind

timind phorum rezident

If your ipod is a 160gb 7th gen, I have a used, but perfectly fine HD. Honestly though, increasing the HD size seems the way to go.

21. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Mine is a 6th gen, but does it make a difference? How much for the HD? Shoot me a PM if you want.

22. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Fiio X1 is definitely my recommendation for a modern iPod Classic equivalent, new generation with 256gb card support/Bluetooth/new touch wheel comes out October 10, MSRP $99

oneway23, Brenald79 and uzn007 like this.
  23. sbayle

sbayle Forum Resident

I have two 160 GB iPod Classics. One is in my Audi S3 filled with music (would you believe a 2016 Audi uses the old iPod 30 pin connector!) The second is a used iPod I bought on eBay as a backup. I agree with the advice to see if someone can fix your iPod or at least copy the music off the hard drive. (Don't you back up your iDevices to another HD, SSD, NAS or the Cloud? Highly recommended - your music can be worth a lot more than the iPod.) You can pick up a perfectly good 160gb on eBay, used or new. So compare the repair price with buying another 0r fix the broken one AND buy a second one from eBay as a back up. And backup your music to at least two different devices/services. Or just start over with a Pono as someone suggested, assuming they get their HD music source back - they were offline when I looked last.

24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Get a new device. Simple.

25. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

You should start an advice column thread in Off Topic. Hard-nosed advise for the wavering audiophile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.