R.I.P. Herschell Gordon Lewis

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreadPikathulhu, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member Thread Starter

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wow! 87 seems to be the new exit year for a lot of celebs. The Godfather of Gore. I wonder how it would be wearing that mantle? Probably fun. Maybe a little uncomfortable because lots of people are condemning your movie. But I'm sure when you're actually shooting one of these that it's a lot of fun. People pumping bottles of fake blood, throwing sausages around and dressing up like zombies. But I bet the actresses get tired of screaming. So there's a bunch of people goofing around with special effects and play acting, but you take all those fake bits and splice them together and the effect is something horrible and scary. Pretty amazing the way the mind works. All that trickery and play acting even has authorities running around screaming the end of society is coming because you splashed some red Karo syrup and used a toy knife. I bet these guys get a good laugh out of it. Although my friend did voice overs in Czech for the Eli Roth movies and he looked kinda nervous when she said to him "Well, these are some pleasant little movies you're making" as though he felt kinda guilty or thought he was going to be castigated. I guess there's that, too. Violence and sex. Taboo topics, but wildly profitable!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. eskaton

eskaton Forum Resident

I met him last month at Exhumed Films' H.G. Lewis Gore-A-Thon in Philadelphia. He needed a mobility scooter and walking cane to get around, but his youthful exuberance, sense of humor and fiery enthusiasm for his work and fans belied his years. I feel really lucky to have had the opportunity to meet him and thank him for the joy his films have given me over the years.

izgoblin and swedwards1960 like this.
  4. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

RIP..."The Blast Off Girls" is one of his better non-gore entries that would be of interest to music fans! It's pretty good!

izgoblin likes this.
  5. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Going to have to rewatch 'The Blood Trilogy' this weekend!

6. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Rest in Pieces.
    Never again will blood be quite as red and gooey.

7. So soon? ;) He still had so much verve I figured he'd be around well into his 90's, but once you get to your 80's I guess anything can happen, anytime. RIP to a trash pioneer and top-rank raconteur.

driverdrummer likes this.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love Two Thousand Maniacs! Talented guy who did some classic stuff. RIP.

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Two Thousand Manics is underappreciated, I think, too. It's really pretty good. The concept alone is a great one! Worthy of Rod Serling, to be sure.

Holy Diver likes this.
  11. Loosely cribbed from Brigadoon, as the man himself admitted.

12. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

RIP HG Lewis

13. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

14. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

15. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.