Scratchy voiced female singers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rocknsoul74, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Bonnie Tyler,because of a Botched Operation on Her Vocal Chords,now sings Raspy,which gave Her hits,something that did not happen before!

2. mr_mjb1960

Marianne Faithful,after nearly a lifetime of Drugs and Booze,now has a Raspy,nearly unrecognizable voice! And the same went for Janis Joplin and Tina Turner!

3. mr_mjb1960

Her Boozy Voice was caused by too many Ciggies and Booze,which eventually took Her life.

g.z. likes this.
  4. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

The only modern scratchy voice girl I like is Elle King:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:thumbsup: Understood.
    I love her version though. Gets me right here. :wave:

6. mr_mjb1960

Susanna Hoffs' Voice,after one too many takes on the "When You're a Boy" Lp,Nearly Wrecked Her Clear Voice-She now sings with a Croak in her voice,every now & Then,Sadly.

MikaelaArsenault and starduster like this.
  7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If you're hearing most of your female vocals on reality tv, you are missing quite a bit. It's really a golden age for female vocalists, many of whom sound nothing like each other. Aside from the ones that top the charts (Adele, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Carly Rae Jepson, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc.), the younger alternative artists have issued recent albums that are, at least in spots, just brilliant (fka Twigs, Julia Holter, Sharon van Etten, Grimes, Joanna Newsom, Florence + the Machine, etc.). Oh, and if you missed it, Mavis Staples, Ronnie Spector and Loretta Lynn released new albums this year. Loretta's track with Willie Nelson is wonderful.

MikaelaArsenault and Buggyhair like this.
  8. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

That's a nice one. Thank you.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think they are both 83 years old. Amazing.

10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

SHE would not agree :

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. UglySickJoker

UglySickJoker Forum Resident

Sass Jordan
    Beth Hart
    Dana Fuchs
    DILANA

MikaelaArsenault and bagofsoup like this.
  12. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

The original poster did a disservice to his own thread? Funny.

MikaelaArsenault and bagofsoup like this.
  13. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Yes, he did. If you read the original post and the rest of the thread you'll understand that it was a bad choice of wording that doesn't represent his own post and has lead to people posting on the likes of Kim Carnes, Bonnie Tyler and even Moms Mabley. None of them has anything to do with what he was talking about in his initial post. This thing has gone off the rails.

Dante Fontana likes this.
  14. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Yes, the OP clearly doesn't mean "scratchy" at all: he's referring to the girlish, faux-naïf style that is fashionable in pop and indie music right now. "Scratchy", to me, would mean somebody like the peerless Maggie Bell, who is as far from girlish or naïf as one could hope to get:

15. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

I understand... I think. I believe I addressed what may have been the intent of the original poster in the second part of my post (the lemmings-like imitation going on in the realm of pop music not being a new phenomenon).

16. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Sorry 'bout the Moms Mabley.:wave:

17. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Otis Redding can rasp all he wants and pour some sugar too

18. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident Thread Starter

To me, there is a roughness , maybe "smokiness" . 1234 by Fiest is an example. You can't tell me that her voice is smooth. It's scratchy or at least rough or smoky. The reason we got off on this tangent was by getting hung up on that one word. I also described it as "affected old soul, jazzy, mumbly, scratchy, Billie Holiday voice" Neither of the older singers like Kim Carnes could ever compared with Billie Holiday, nor is she current. The key word is also "affected". Janis Joplin, Kim Carnes and Stevie Nicks are not singing in any affected voice. If I could change the title of the post I would.

Dante Fontana likes this.
  19. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

Lulu and Brenda lee.

20. Dante Fontana

Dante Fontana Forum Resident

In another thread a few weeks back, I used this description, which might be what the OP meant : the overly breathy, husky, slightly strangled vocal as featured in hundreds of advertisements, which is supposed to convey sensitivity along with sexuality. There are literally millions with this same voice! Yet i can't think of anything like it pre Rickie Lee Jones' debut, although there were probably a few. By the early 90s you can certainly hear a few female indie singers with added breath and hungover smokiness in their voices. Harriet Wheeler, Bjork, then Hope Sandoval and Cat Power, but back then it still seemed a bit alternative.

However, I don't think anyone really sounds like Bonnie Tyler, Marianne Faithful, or Janis now - these are characterful individual voices - there's nothing generic about them.

The male equivalent is that hoarse/gruff just got out of bed having taken too many drugs and being down on your luck vocal presentation. Green Day, Richard Ashcroft, Jamie Cullum etc etc

driverdrummer likes this.
  21. StereoMan56

StereoMan56 Forum Resident

At the tender age of 81.

22. First person I thought of.

23. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

not just a great raspy female singer...but one of my favorite singers currently out there

this is amazing..

Beverly McClellan

24. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

Elyse described her own voice as the "old gravel pit"

25. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

If the thread title is being followed, along with examples like Bonnie Tyler and Kim Carnes, then I nominate Lydia Pense of Cold Blood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.