Ron Howard's Beatles Documentary Feature Film About The Band's Touring Years, "Eight Days a Week"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. We was on the show all week.

2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Mine was VHS.
    The only image I could find on Goodle images was Beta.
    You, sir, have a keen eye!
    And my Beta player died many many years ago. :cry:

3. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Shame. I was hoping you'd be interested in my Rockshow and Broad Street Beta tapes that I can't bring myself to throw away. :oops: :D

dewey02 likes this.
  4. About 8$ milion gross worldwide for the film. Flop or success?

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Success.

A flop would have been one week's worth of dwindling ticket sales, and negative reviews. Instead, the opposite has occurred: the reviews have been overwhelming positive, and the film's run has been extended and the number of theaters showing the film has increased (even with the film still streaming on Hulu).

6. I think the same way...

7. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Plus whatever amount they got from Hulu for the exclusive broadcast.
    Plus what the BluRay sales will bring in.
    Plus the sales and cross-marketing with Live at the Hollywood Bowl
    (which actually DID turn out to be the film soundtrack since they dubbed so many of the non-Hollywood Bowl performances by substituting the Bowl audio on top of them!)

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

They were not expecting any real cinema revenue and originally were going to have it play one day. Getting carried over for a third week is huge

brettb33, beatlematt and dewey02 like this.
  9. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

So everything is good in "Beatle Land" right...geez!

10. If Mojo Box Office has it right, in Us in its first week the film was out in 85 theaters, since last friday in 151. Ok that they will be small ones but it seems great the same!!!

Wingsfan2012 and CDC like this.
  11. In UK it gross about 1.8$ milion, in Australia about 1.3$ milion and in Italy about 1.1$ milion.

dewey02 likes this.
  12. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

But, but..."Nothing is Beatle-proof" Not even a limited box office showing!

[​IMG]

astronauta likes this.
  13. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

From my relatively limited knowledge about the movie industry, the documentary has been a surprising hit.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  14. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Not to over analyze or over think this, but it's interesting that
    - In the U.S, with a population of 320 mil., it has only grossed $1.7 mil.
    - The UK gross is $1.8 mil. with a population of 64 mil.
    - The gross in Australia is at $1.3 mil with a population of 24 mil.
    - The gross in Italy is $1.1 million with a population of 61 mil.

If I'm not mistaken, Hulu is a U.S. only service(?) Despite the attraction of the exclusive screening of Shea in theaters, is Hulu limiting ticket sales in the U.S., as compared to other countries? (I don't know if the other countries can also watch it at home via a local streaming service.)

Thoughts?

15. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Does Hulu post viewing numbers?

16. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Has it been advertised much in America?

17. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

In my part not at all, no more than the average 'tailored to you' facebook advertising

18. CDC

CDC Forum Resident

19. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I don't have Hulu, but have seen extensive advertising on busses, in the subways, etc.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  20. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Sales stats, rankings . . . stage four (or is it five?) of the five stages of fan engagement with a much-heralded but ultimately disappointing new Beatles release.

moople72 likes this.
  21. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Caught the film in Toronto last night with my twelve year-old son. Told my boy on the way in that the theatre could be either empty or full; it turned out to be a full house: we were a few minutes late getting in due to a ticket issue and only the front row had any seats left.

Same experience as others, with many--if not most--people not knowing that Shea Stadium was going to play immediately after the credits.

I enjoyed the film, but as a hardcore fan, found it only scratched the surface and took liberties that wouldn't matter to the general public. My son seemed bored, but said he was glad he went (His musical tastes trend more to the top 40 these days, but he was immersed in Beatledom as a child).

22. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Saw the movie a 2nd time in Portland ME 1 pm show with a half filled enthusiastic theater. The movie has legs.

23. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

Watched the movie at a theater in Grand Rapids over the weekend and it was about half full.
    I had watched it previously on Hulu , but wanted the movie experience.
    Was disappointed in watching Shea. Editing it to 30 minutes was bad enough, but i had to
    cringe when i heard the studio versions underneath the live audio. I left halfway through.
    Gee, couldn't they just use the actual live audio and spruce it up in some way without having to underlay it with the studio versions ?
    The live audio of the concert circulates, so i'm not sure it would have been all that difficult.
    I'm guessing over half the audience probably didn't even know the difference.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    ZackyDog and zen like this.
  24. zen

zen Senior Member

The Shea presentation could have been so much better.

somnar likes this.
  25. David-Shea

David-Shea Toastmaster General

I was able to catch this today on a whim. My girlfriend and I LOVED it! The theater was almost full too, wonderful feeling and we all clapped at the end. I would love to see it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.