Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

As today is Vladimir Horowitz birthday (10/1/03), I'm playing the following CD:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mik, mdekoning, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD from my Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  3. drh

drh Talking Machine

If you mean with the code posted here a while back, I did buy one set, keeping things pretty modest: it's called "Le Parnasse francais" and collects together 10 discs' worth of French music performed by Musica Antiqua Koln, my favorite period instruments group. That's it for me; need to lay off now, because I just spent better than $300 on 78s from England (including five 14" Pathes), something a bit south of $100 on a couple of classical vocal cylinders (eBay), and $35 on the Brahms 2d Sym. under Max Fiedler (also eBay). I already had that last, which I consider about the most idiomatic Brahms I've heard on record, but on rather noisy US Brunswick repressings, with one hard to track because of a bad warp, whereas the "new" copy will be on original Polydor pressings and, fingers crossed, should be a better copy.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. coopmv

I did not know the MAK had recorded some French music. Was it baroque by any chance? While I do have a decent number of recordings by the group, it is not as extensive as what I have collected for the English Concert or the AAM ...

5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I looked at that box but decided I only really want the Bruckner, and that's low enough on my list since I already have the EMI set and a couple of the DG singles.

geralmar and Daedalus like this.
  6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Wonderful playing and sound. Feltsman is so attuned to the kaleidoscopic range of moods in this piece.

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and Daedalus like this.
  7. drh

drh Talking Machine

Composers in the set include Marais, Rebel, F. Couperin, Charpentier, Clerambault, Gilles, Corrette, Leclair, Lully, Cordier, Lambert, Cambert, Buffardin, Boismortier, Quentin, Blavet, Guillemain, Francoeur, and Philidor. Some (actually more than not--I'm not as familiar with French literature as I should be) are unfamiliar to me, but I'd guess it's a mix of baroque and immediately post-baroque. The ones in italics were in the sound track for a movie (unknown to me) called Le Roi Danse.

8. coopmv

I actually have a good number of French baroque recordings in my collection though none was by MAK and my recordings are also more recent, i.e. post 1990 recordings. I imagine the recordings by MAK were probably made in the 1980's or earlier. This box sounds interesting to me. Thanks for the heads up ... :righton:

9. coopmv

I will pass on this box as I already have Jochum's Beethoven symphonies on Philips and Bruckner symphonies on DG along with a host of other recordings and the EMI box ...

10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Separated at birth? Guess not, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matt Richardson and Daedalus like this.
  11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This AM with coffee: Saint-Saens, piano concertos 2,4 and 5. Pascal Roge. Charles Dutoit conducting Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and Philharmonia Orchestra. CD 41 from Decca Sound box set. This a very good way to start a Sunday!

Mik, Wes H, George P and 2 others like this.
  12. Daedalus

Ah-another new one to me which I may have to seek out.

SteelyTom likes this.
  13. Daedalus

I love Janacek's operas.

14. Daedalus

I have and enjoy these recordings.

15. Daedalus

This looks interesting.

16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Listening on ClassicsOnline. The Suk piece is new to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Nova Cantica - Latin Songs Of The High Middle Ages" performed by Dominique Vellard and Emmanuel Bonnardot on DHM.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  18. drh

drh Talking Machine

Always glad to spend other peoples' money! :tiphat:

Daedalus and George P like this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to CD 36 from "Yehudi Menuhin - The Great EMI Recordings."

Mozart - Violin Concertos 1, 3 & 5 with the Bath Festival Orchestra led by himself.

[​IMG]

Daedalus and Wes H like this.
  20. JS Bach Leipzig Cantatas: Ich Elender Mensch - Philippe Herreweghe/Collegium Vocale Gent
    [​IMG]
    Mozart Requiem/Coronation Mass/Arias - Pieter Jan Leusink/Olga Zinovieva
    [​IMG]

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

22. coopmv

bluemooze, I believe our collections have more overlaps than anyone else on this forum ... :agree:

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I think so too. :righton:

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "D'Amor Ragionando - Ballades du neo-Stilnovo en Italie 1380-1415" performed by Mala Punica on Arcana.

Landini, Perugia, Zacharias, Ciconia and Caserta

[​IMG]

25. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

You betcha!