Does anyone else think the Pink Floyd Early years box price is...nearly criminal?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by zeuhl, Oct 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Easy. Not asking for an APB warning. Just what David Gilmour did when Fender approached him about doing a tribute black Stratocaster of his Black Strat. He stated it must be affordable for the average musician before he would give his consent and it turned out to be one of the most affordable tribute models Fender ever did (some run five figures) and yes I have one. The only reason I don't include Gilmour in my post is he never came out saying anti-capitalist stuff like Rogers. And to further clarify my position, I'm going to wait to see if the prices do come down and if they don't, I probably buy it anyway ... depending on how I feel at the time and what's said about the set on this forum.

CrazyCatz, BruceEder and Runicen like this.
  2. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

There was a lavish Miles Davis box set that came in a trumpet case, containing a number of smaller box sets. Something like 40 CDs in total, and originally sold for $750 IIRC. I got it a couple of years later for $200 or so on clearance.

I doubt that the Pink Floyd box set will follow the same price trajectory, but time will tell.

--Geoff

CrazyCatz, ARK and Mainline461 like this.
  3. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

On the flip side there are some exceptional values out there - I just picked up a five CD box set of ELO's albums from 1973-1977 (newly remastered - which could be good or it could be bad) for twenty dollars (after a %15 off coupon). Request Rejected ยป

CrazyCatz likes this.
  4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Nice score! I'd have to sell a kidney to pick up a copy of that Davis box. Fingers crossed the Floyd box doesn't go down that road! :sweating:

5. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

It will surely be counterfeited from China, no?

6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

The complexity of the box may prevent that, but who knows? Those bootleggers are a persistent lot.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  7. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

^^ This.

I've been waiting 20 years for PF to release something like this. I flinched at the original price, but when I saw it for sale at $500 I pounced. Basically a year's music-budget, but I didn't think twice. And I love it, it's incredible.

8. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Could someone please provide a link to what this discussion is about, there are so many squeeze very cent/pence out of the fan (inc. me) releases.
    I've lost count which this thread is about
    thanks

9. BruceEder

BruceEder Forum Resident

I pre-ordered mine through Amazon UK -- the pound has dropped so low in relation to the dollar (to around $1.24 last I looked), that it made sense to do it that way. Amazon UK is obliged, as the item is being shipped out of the UK, to the US, to discount their posted price by 15% by removing the VAT built into their price; and the shipping is only a little over three pounds. Based on their pre-release price, my final cost, including shipping, was only a few cents above $399 -- and I didn't anticipate this, but they shipped it overnight from London to New York for that $3.60 shipping charge. BUT IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE that I also own an all-region DVD player, so there would be no issues for me of compatibility (the DVDs are Region 0 but they're almost certainly PAL format as opposed to the US NTSC format, but my machine can handle that, as can any computer set up to play DVDs -- besides, the DVD/Blu-Ray content was never central to my concerns). Alas, the post-release price at Amazon UK has gone back up to $399, at my last look, so this would now run you somewhere around $450 or so, so it's no longer as good an alternative.

10. zeuhl

zeuhl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Warning.
    Even at $200, this is as the title says: "nearly criminal". Huge treble issues render much of the audio borderline unlistenable. Cymbals crash with a harshness that cymbals aren't supposed to sound like.
    More specifically, why some of the BBC stuff I have owned on cassette since the early 80's is superior in sound quality to what shows up here is dumbfounding. Pet peeves:
    Where is Let's Roll Another One instead of Candy and a Currant Bun? My friends and I have had this for decades, and they didn't bother to look for a version of it? Mixing out the chipmunk vocals on Scream Thy Last Scream. 1967 Advision sessions not included (which had Lets Roll Another One). Remixed Vegetable Man not the original mix. Stockholm. Sigh-vocals from the show are not up in the mix. Nothing to do about that as it was a product of the show at the time.
    Throw in defective BluRays that everybody got and now have to exchange, and you have a product that is nowhere near even a $200 price point.
    Some good stuff in there, to be sure, but dodgy sound, smiley equalization yielding ultra harsh treble across the package? Peeved. Not worth it by a longshot. Fortunately, a friend kicked down to buy one. He's not happy, but we all got to hear it so cheers to him!

sb33334 likes this.
  11. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

$307 shipped from Amazon UK this morning...

12. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

I just can't bring myself to do it(must be tha Scot in me, tight is Me, well my VW Polo only cost me a Tenner.. Sailed through MOT)Whilst I admit..I'd Love to own it... Won't happen anytime soon, might happen across one of tha cheaper Box-Sets on FleaBay....one day

atb

13. It wouldn't have mattered if this set was near perfect in every respect. Somebody would have found something about it to be disappointed with. Especially an audiophile. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Hattipper likes this.
  14. njstrummer

njstrummer Forum Resident

I believe the much maligned and ridiculed "Marbles and Scarve and Coasters" from the Immersion sets were an effort to make it difficult for the counterfeits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.