Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

I can never get to believe there are different masterings around. They come from the same record companies, though with the delays caused by the usual BS with regard to where to sell and when.

2. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

superstar19 likes this.
  3. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Hmmmm, Buffalo Springfield in hi-rez??? Interresting. Its 88.2 so I am wondering where the first two albums available on SACD at some point and are these just SACD transfers?

Tuco and Plan9 like this.
  4. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

The self titled debut does not have "For What It's Worth" on it. It has the original track listing with "Baby Don't Scold Me" instead.

5. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

There's Pantera collection released on HDtracks (The Complete Albums 1990-2000).
    Most tracks are 24/96 with the exception of Live Proof (24/44) and Great Southern Trendkill (24/88).
    Hopefully later albums sound as good as CFH and VDoP.

6. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Thank you. Decided to give the Greatest Hits a try.

7. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

The 24 bit does sound a little better than the CD, but nowhere near as good as it should.
    Strange that Radiohead don't seem to care about their stuff getting brickwalled - I would think that they would have the clout to do something about it if they did.

8. neil

neil Senior Member

It seems that the CSNY Deja Vu and Chicago Carnegie Hall releases are only available in Germany. I have yet to find them on any of the US stores with the exception of Pono which is currently DOA.

9. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Anyone heard the HR of Carnegie Hall?

10. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

While we are on the subject of Germany, last night I noticed that the Complete Warner Bros. recordings of Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi were available at Hiresaudio out of Germany for only $17. Great price and I have not seen it anywhere else yet.

11. art

art Senior Member

Anyone heard the Springfield yet?

12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Anyone get the new Elvis Presley The Wonder Of You w/ Philharmonic yet? Mine is totally screwed up. Most songs are labelled incorrectly, many songs repeat or are missing and even though it's listed as 24/96, many songs are 24/44. There is even one song titled .FLAC which is actually the 3rd time "Just Pretend" makes an appearance. I emailed HDTracks asking what is up with this. Anyone else??

13. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

New Pretenders CD Alone has a DR of 6 (shudder). I'd be curious to know if the hi-res is any better, should anyone care to offer a review.

Also interested in opinions of Neil Diamond Moods and Bette Midler The Divine Miss M (Deluxe).

14. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Neil Diamond Moods and Jonathan Livingston Seagull are now out on HDTRACKS. Anyone grabbed either of those that can offer a review/DR numbers?

15. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

Rolling Stones Mono Boxset just showed up in DSD download format on Acoustic Sounds. $184 for those who might be interested. According from the notes, it went straight from tape to DSD. They also have the first three Doors albums in DSD download. Early christmas?

Krzych likes this.
  16. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Is 7digital still working with PONO as its new content provider? I see no news at all this past month.

17. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Remember that Redwood digital used to deal in some 176.4 transfers - this is not always the result of any SACD/DSD involvement. Just a strong indicator of such if it comes from a label family with SACD heritage (Stones/Sony...)

xj32 likes this.
  18. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Unknown. The last messages from the Pono hierarchy did not mention 7digital and all references to them have been removed from the site. Three months down and counting...

Mr Bass likes this.
  19. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Pono is done...is there any doubt right about now? Sucks because I liked their pricing and selection. The reason for their downfall probably has more to do with the hardware side than the download side.

20. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Thanks for the reply. Sounds bad (I don't mean sonically).

21. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Neil's team did them in 88.2/24 HDCD for the Buffalo Springfield box set in 2001.

22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Although interestingly enough the first album on that CD included both Don't Scold Me and FWIW, whereas the HDTracks version apparently doesn't include FWIW

23. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Yes, there is doubt. I expect they will be back. As they said a couple of weeks ago, they are working on it and still planning to expand to new countries.

Technology can be hard, especially for small companies. They had the rug pulled out from under them (maybe twice, given the 7digital questions) but it doesn't sound to me like they are throwing in the towel.

24. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Folks, Pono has around SIX employees, at last count...Apple, they are not...Let's wait and see what happens.

rburly likes this.
  25. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

It's disgusting. Compressed and distorted. I had to turn it down just to get through it, and I never turn anything down. Don't waste your money like I did.

Larry Johnson, Chooke and art like this.