Brad Pitt says 'Interview with the Vampire' was a 'miserable' experience

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

D-rock and Vidiot like this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Nice functional interview.
    Absolutely crazy script in spots.

3. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I think he's a pro, a natural, and has been from the very beginning of his career. I re-watched Seven last week (lost the count of the times I've watched it) and even early on his career he did a fantastic job, even better considering he was opposite Morgan Freeman. If he says Interview With The Vampire was a miserable experience, I believe him. The movie says nothing to me, it bored me.

ssmith3046 and longdist01 like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

He's a good actor, but Anne Rice was right in her initial observation: neither Tom Cruise nor Pitt were right for those parts.

D-rock, carrick doone and wayneklein like this.
  5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

This article is from 2011. Wonder what he's up to these days? :laugh:

6. PaulKTF

The studio was taking a huge risk making the movie and had to do what they had to do in casting to make sure the movie appealed to a wider audience.

Anne Rice badmouthing a film adaptation of her own work before it even started shooting- what a maroon! Then of course she had to do a 180 once the movie became a hit.

Then again she's always had diarrhea of the Word Processor (try to read some of the later Vampire Chronicles books, i dare you) so I guess we shouldn't be surprised she has it of the mouth, too...

7. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Watching it was no picnic either!

bluesbro, smilin ed, Thwacko and 2 others like this.
  8. PaulKTF

It probably should have been adapted by a different screenwriter. I actually think the book(s) would make for a good HBO mini-series. Even in just the first book there's a lot of things happening (much of which they skipped over or changed in the 1994 movie).

Aggie87 likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Though she praised the film.

10. PaulKTF

Probably only after her publicist clued her in that she'd stepped in it.

dbsea and alexpop like this.
  11. alexpop

Yes! The novel was far superior. This was the first Tom Cruise film where I actually took notice of him. The introduction to Antonio Banderas
    in American movies.

12. alexpop

Brad Pitt
    I didn't think he was that great in Vampire, looked good...but.
    Prefered him in Kalifornia.

Anne Rice's novel
    Interview With The Vampire
    was thee book to read in 1978.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  13. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I never understood the love for this book and film. It was not one of my favorites.

14. alexpop

Think it made better sense in 1978.

MoonPool and eric777 like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think she caved because the movie made a lot of money and got generally good reviews. But the casting was terrible, and I think when you want a 6'4" big, blonde, handsome, charismatic French vampire, Tom Cruise is not the guy to play him.

The book was very good, but the movie... not so much. Note that John Travolta tried to get the movie made for almost 10 years, but was never able to get the studio to sign off on a script with a murderous 6-year-old vampire girl. They changed that in the movie by making her about 12, but I agree, it was a tough dramatic hurdle to solve.

Jeff Minn and alexpop like this.
  16. alexpop

Agree, Regarding casting.
    What about Mel Gibson's "Braveheart ..charismatic performance, but William Wallace was 6'6", not 5' 8. It's all about entertainment end of the day, movie wise. But, I think the film stands up pretty well. Though not Blade Runner. Reboot soon no doubt.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You know, he was more of a historical character than a fictional character, and I think few people know the details that Wallace was that tall. Gibson gave a tremendous performance by any definition, so it didn't bother me.

The problem with Lestat is that Anne Rice when on and on (in six or seven books) about the vampire's height, his long blond hair, his light complexion, and all that stuff. Tom Cruise is good in a certain very limited number of roles, but not in this one. I gotta say, in defense of Cruise, he's one of the smartest actors I've ever seen in terms of generally picking the right parts to play that are suited for his look and his talents.

Scott222C and alexpop like this.
  18. alexpop

Clint Eastwood rates Cruise and rightly so, must be Hollywood's last leading male from the old school aspect definition..sorta Alan Ladd ( very popular in the forties ) and Audie Murphy all American hero.

19. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

just a paycheck

20. PaulKTF

I will say that they did a nice job with the sets and scenery in the movie.

Rhett and junk like this.
  21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I can't understand how nobody thought of Brad playing Lestat. Wouldn't that have made more sense?

22. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

That experience probably felt like heaven compared to what he's going through these days.

junk likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm baffled by that, too, except that Lestat was a very loud, over-the-top, egotistical character, and I generally see Brad Pitt playing a more low-key guy.

Though it's interesting to note that Eastwood and Cruise have never worked together. I know people who have worked on Clint Eastwood movies, and he demands that all the actors rehearse with him for at least a week prior to the shoot, and that everybody knows their lines backwards and forwards. Clint rarely does more than 3 takes of any scenes, so he's an extremely fast & efficient director on set.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I mean I know why.... once Tom Cruise was interested they would have dropped anyone else because he was the biggest name you could get at the time. The same way Leonardo DiCaprio gets unlikely parts like Howard Hughes and J. Edgar Hoover.

25. It's a flawed movie but I still enjoy it. While I had read the novels, I wasn't expecting a slavish adaptation so maybe that made it easier to accept.

I'm not sure Cruise had the talent to tackle Lestat's role or fit the role. He's the one element that needed recasting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.