Fates Warning New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chrischerm, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Oh, it isn't quality that gets to me, it is the aural fatigue of something that is so loud that my ears can't take a break at any point. I didn't know what the issue was for years, I just chalked it up to not liking modern music. Then when it was first explained to me, it all clicked. It was like there was a year I liked heavy music, and the next year - I stopped liking it. And finally I knew why.

There are a few instances I can tolerate it, but I get really frustrated when I buy something that should not be of the loudness wars era, only to find I've been duped by a remaster. Most recently, it was Ozzy's No Rest For The Wicked. I'm resigned to vinyl and hi-res for newer albums which both tend not to suffer from such issues.

2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I know what you mean but for some reason that *usually* doesn't bother me. Maybe I am already deaf! Maybe it is my equipment. I dunno. A notable exception though is the first release of Rush's Vapor Trails. But that one is not just that all the "amps" are pushed to 11. It's that all the sound is so overloaded it is constantly clipping above 0dB, the peaks are cutoff, it sounds like something is wrong with it and it hurts my brain.

stodgers likes this.
  3. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I have been contemplating a purchase of the recent remix of that one. I remember downloading the lead single and thinking WTF. I didn't buy the album itself until two years ago and even the hi-res version is difficult to stomach. I literally bought the album and the remix came out two weeks later - I had no idea it was coming.

4. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Another new Fates Warning out soon :)

5. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, July 1st. Theories Of Flight. Only thing I've heard is that it's a dbl album.

four sticks likes this.
  6. Jimmy Agates

FATES WARNING - Theories Of Flight

• [​IMG]
      • "From The Rooftops"
      • "Seven Stars"
      • "SOS"
      • "The Light And Shade Of Things"
      • "White Flag"
      • "Like Stars Our Eyes Have Seen"
      • "The Ghosts Of Home"
      • "Theories Of Flight"
    A limited 2CD version of the album (and also its 2LP) will include an acoustic bonus-disc with the following tracks:
    Acoustic Bonus tracks:

• "Firefly"
    • "Seven Stars"
    • "Another Perfect Day"
    • "Pray Your Gods" (Toad The Wet Sprocket cover)
    • "Adela" (Joaquin Rodrigo)
    • "Rain" (Uriah Heep cover)
    - See more at: KNAC.COM - News - FATES WARNING Post 'Theories Of Flight' Teaser Vid »

chrischerm likes this.
  7. Jimmy Agates

8. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I'll be reviewing the new Fates Warning album, just received the promo a couple days ago. I can tell you right now that it's a killer album, a perfect balance of their tasteful progressive tendencies and the more muscular heaviness that was missing from the 90s and later material. The last album was a step in the right direction and was a damn good album, this one raises the bar. The album was mixed and mastered by the insanely talented Jens Bogren (Haken, Opeth, Leprous) as well.

9. progrocker71

10. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

That sounds awesome! Can't wait for the album and your review.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  11. SubV

SubV Forum Resident

Jens Bogren also mastered the Haken's Affinity, which has DR of 6. Can you say anything about mastering quality on new FW record? Please.

12. progrocker71

I'm more interested in his mixes, which are excellent. I'm not going to provide DR numbers with my review, I will leave that to those with hangups in that area.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  13. progrocker71

14. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

Definably a compressed album but the material is great.

chrischerm likes this.
  15. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

My copy is on its way to me. Haven't listened to any clips yet - want to hear it completely on the first listen.

Hard to believe it's been almost three years since their last record already. That's much better than 9 years though. :)

chrischerm likes this.
  16. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm waiting for my copy too. Like you, I haven't listened to any clips yet, either. Katatonia's new album is great, this album has great reviews, and with Opeth's Sorceress coming out in the Fall, this may be a banner year for Prog Metal.

four sticks and bunkaroo like this.
  17. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

Add Ihsahn's Arktis. to that list, and probably Witherscape's The Northern Sanctuary as well. Awesome year.

chrischerm likes this.
  18. Jimmy Agates

Loving the new FW cd. Top quality from start to finish. The bonus disc is a nice touch too.

19. progrocker71

Gojira - Magma (rules)
    Haken - Affinity

Stormrider77 and chrischerm like this.
  20. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Finally getting around to giving this a spin. Sounds good, much better to my ears than their last one. I feel like a switch flipped with Jim Matheos around the time of the Arch/Matheos album and he's been writing stuff with a very similar sound ever since. Ray sounds very nice on this, like he's relaxed and in charge. Incidentally, I have this on LP and it is very, very nice. It's pressed quite well.

One small area of criticism is that Jarzombek seems to be playing very similar sounding drum patterns on all of these post-Arch/Matheos albums (especially with what he's doing with his kick drums). Not a huge deal (he's an absolute monster), but it seems like he's dipping into the same bag of tricks a little too often.

21. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

I've been out of the Fates Warning loop for awhile. Last album I purchased was FWX, which I thought was half-and-half. I really loved album closer "Wish".

I just found out that they're playing my city in June... so of course I have to go. In the mean time, I'll have to check out the two post-FWX albums. I did give Darkness a listen when it was released, but recall being immediately turned off by the compression and 'muscular heaviness'.

I do miss Zonder's uniquely musical drumming. I suppose I should check out his post-Fates output sometime.

Stormrider77 and ian christopher like this.
  22. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

the overt muscular heavinesss of DIADL is toned down a notch for Theories of Flight.

I'd have preferred if it was toned down two notches, but one is ok too - it's a better album overall.

Their current drummer still overplays IMHO - and I hardly ever felt that Zonder did (a few tracks on Inside Out notwithstanding)

23. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

FWX is a grower - deep tracks such as Heal Me and A Handful of Doubt get better with each listen.

24. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I just received Theories Of Flight, I think I had it on my wishlist since late last year. So far I'm really loving it, my first exposure to Fates Warning. I'll definitely be digging deeper into their catalog.

chrischerm likes this.
  25. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Killer disc from start to finish. This will be in heavy rotation for awhile.

chrischerm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.