Best rock documentary you've seen (Take 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fr in sc, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The one on Anvil was genuinely moving, considering that I normally have no use for their style of music. Yet I desperately wanted those guys to win: get a big record, an opening tour slot with one of the established acts they influenced, or at least an attentive club audience. (Their European tour would be hilarious if they weren't real people being humiliated at every turn.)

You not only see how much the band puts into their music and how little they have to show for it, but also how much the family and friends have sacrificed in order for them to chase that dream. There's something admirable and even noble in their determination to keep pushing that rock up the hill, no matter how many times they get squashed.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I really liked Metal Evolution. I am not the biggest metal fan and still found it entertaining. Also the Nick Cave doc 20,000 Days on Earth, the Theory of Obscurity Residents doc and 'Sonic Outlaws', which is a must for fans of all things copyright infringement.

I also saw a mini-doc on Bowie called 'Five Years' that went in depth on the making of Young Americans through Heroes. It was exactly the kind of thing music fans want - interviews with the principle players about how the music was created. This could easily have been expanded into a feature-length. I'm sure a glut of Bowie docs will be coming soon, one way or another...

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. TonyG

TonyG Forum Resident

Six that stand out for me:

1. The Greatest Ears in Town - The Arif Mardin Story (available to stream on Amazon). I knew of him through his association with Atlantic records, but had no idea of what a talented man he was - and how loved he was by the folks who worked with him.
    2. Running Down A Dream - I'm not a huge Tom Petty fan, and was curious how anyone could make a 4 hour documentary on him. What a delightful surprise! The time blew by.
    3. Heartworn Highways - Anyone interested in Americana music should watch this. A rambling, fascinating look at a group of guys (Townes, Guy, Rodney..) who influenced just about everyone after them. I love this movie.
    4. Don't Look Back and Monterey Pop - Two must-see Pennebaker docs that hold up well upon repeated viewings.
    5. History of the Eagles - Absolutely fascinating, but probably not in the way Glenn and Don intended. As my daughter said to me while watching it: "Do they realize that they come across as pompous dicks?"

CMcGeek likes this.
  4. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

I watched I Am Thor last night. I can confidently say that it is not the best rock documentary I've seen.

Dudley Morris, Malina and jmobrien68 like this.
  5. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I shared your daughters insights exactly

especially Glen

keyXVII and fr in sc like this.
  6. Although it torques the Rodriguez story so much that it's hard to call it a true documentary.

Anyway. Fans of Anvil! The Story of Anvil might also like the Quiet Riot doc Well Now You're Here, There's No Way Back. It's almost a companion piece in how it observes a small time band well past AARP age trying to keep it together. Sure, unlike Anvil, Quiet Riot actually did make it, but they didn't stay big for long and much of the movie concerns how the drummer of the classic lineup tries to keep the band going on the festival circuit. Entertaining but also somewhat depressing and (unintentionally, I think) funny in spots.

CMcGeek likes this.
  7. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

The Rutles

seacliffe301 and CMcGeek like this.
  8. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Oh wow...yes...you will be quite pleased. It's a handsome package with a full color booklet included.

9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

MC5: A True Testimonial

10. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Greatest rock band of all time [IMHO]...greatest doc...shown below by Start Productions for all to see.

11. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Supergrass Is 10
    Pearl Jam 20
    Devil and Daniel Johnston
    Montage of Heck
    R.E.M by MTV
    Joy Division

Ah soooo many but those came to mind.

warewolf95, Binni and Rhapsody In Red like this.
  12. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Watching Running Down a Dream now. All docs should be this comprehensive!

13. Cobain: Montage of Heck, also liked the angle taken in the documentary, Soaked In Bleach
    The Doors: When You're Strange
    Grateful Dead Movie
    Flaming Lips Fearless Freaks

14. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Not the best rock-doc but it is a human drama. Damn that dude does not know the meaning of the word "quit".

bagofsoup likes this.
  15. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Whats interesting is that they both believe they deserve to be pompous dicks and get away with it.

Despite this, the story is really interesting and the live music disc blows you away.

Fender Relic likes this.
  16. Ephi82

Two not mentioned yet

Classis Tracks, Whos Next

Bio on Tom Dowd, excellent.

Fender Relic likes this.
  17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

A few I haven't seen mentioned.

The Future Is Unwritten - Joe Strummer
    Meeting People Is Easy - Radiohead
    The Punk Singer - Kathleen Hanna

I have Muscle Shoals on my to do list, but since that was mentioned so many times I would recommend Respect Yourself: The Stax Records Story

18. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I agree! It came out in 1995 and shown on various PBS stations, but was never officially released on either VHS or DVD. A must see for any music enthusiast. However, I would have to give it a tie to the "Beatles Anthology" series that came out around the same time period. Both were excellent!

Good runners up were "The History of Rock and Roll" Time Warner. Jefferson Airplane "Fly Jefferson Airplane", "Love Story" Arthur Lee and Love.

19. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Actually it is worse

They both believe they have to constantly be validating their larger than life contributions to the Eagles and the other lowly disgruntled guys were just ungrateful hacks along for the ride

violetvinyl and keyXVII like this.
  20. Ephi82

Well, i agree with the idea that the songwriters get more credit than the band members. No one appreciates the contributions of Meisner, Felder, and Leadon, more than me, but they were Band members, not writers

Now, Frey and Henley should have shared more of the riches, lke done in U2 and REM, but they didnt. Its why many fans dont hold them in great regard.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Well there's no doubt for me - not even close - it's Woodstock. It's so immersive.

For concert documents, there's nothing like Stop Making Sense, but I also really like Concert For Bangladesh and The Last Waltz.

Mike McMann and oboogie like this.
  22. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Has Festival Express come up yet? Fantastic viewing.

23. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

The Flaming Lips "The Fearless Freaks" was a fun documentary. I have a DVD. They are such colorful guys, kind of an extension of the psychedelic era in the 60s. Wayne Coyne is somewhere between painfully honest and total bull. He thrives in extremes as an artist, moderation is for wimps. :laugh:

forthlin and aoxomoxoa like this.
  24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The Harry Nilsson one was great. So were the Roky Erickson and Big Star docs

25. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Every other line out of his mouth was about how he'd never done drugs. Um, yeah, OK.

the sands likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.