Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

...and badly.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think they'd just avoid shooting the sky as much as possible in those days. Nowadays, digital sky replacement is very typical and happens all the time.

I'm not a gun person by any means, but I'm really, really bothered by the digital gun muzzle flashes they insert in a lot of TV shows, where the actors barely react to the recoil. Anybody who's shot a gun knows that most of them have quite a kick, and to barely blink an eye is totally, totally wrong and not how you'd really react to actual gunfire.

I worked on a TV movie where the producer told me they hired a former special forces guy to train the actors in the use of firearms. The guy was adamant that nobody walk around with a handgun pointed straight up, as people tend to do in most TV detective shows. Instead, they either point the gun straight ahead with both hands on it, or they point it slightly down while walking. Once I knew about this, I got very annoyed every time I saw the "TV cliche" of pointing the gun straight up, because I realized it made no sense.

And don't get me stahted about gang members holding guns sideways. Man, is that stupid.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  3. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Cave-women wearing mascara.

SomeCallMeTim, geralmar and Vidiot like this.
  4. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Roadrunners outsmarting coyotes.

5. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

'Hold On'.

Well, yeah DUH.

It's in every action movie. Of course I'm gonna hold on.

jerol

6. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Cops being able to shoot guns out of the hands of bad guys.

fr in sc and Vidiot like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The lead female actress in Dances with Wolves has makeup and a 1980s hairstyle, and it drove me crazy. According to people who worked on the film, they couldn't dissuade her from it (even though everybody else looked like they were from 1866). Kevin Costner opted to let it go because she was such a good actress, but her somewhat-modern look really detracts from the film to me.

DHamilton, SomeCallMeTim and EdgardV like this.
  8. samid

samid Forum Resident

The movie takes place about 1300 BC while the great pyramids were built about a thousand years before that, at least that's the most common theory. So they probably weren't all that shiny new then :)

9. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

[​IMG]

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Anything's wrong since they kicked out the letters LAND from the word HOLLYWOOD on that famous hill.^^

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The problem that James Bond looks totally different every decade.^^

geralmar and John B Good like this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

A while ago I read the author of the Forrest Gump book was against many things that happened in the movie.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    Khaki F likes this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I know scenes when people are leaving their houses without closing (or even locking) the doors.

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Generally Hollywood thinks all Germans are Bavarians.
    Sometimes having that scene from 'Charlie & The Chocolate Factory' (the one with Johnny Depp) in mind, where that fat boy's coming from Düsseldorf and he's wearing traditional bavarian clothes (Lederhosen and stuff).
    Sorry, but Düsseldorf IS NOT in Bavaria. Same with Berlin, Bremen or Hamburg. Those film makers should learn Geography correctly.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The Simpsons.^^

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a standard problem when you see movies with characters before the 20th century and everybody has great teeth. You know their teeth were falling out of their heads even in the 1700s. The eye-makeup thing kills me.

There was a time in America -- I'd say as late as 1964-1965 -- where in small towns, you could get away with not locking your doors. Everybody trusted each other, and crime rates were extremely low. In modern times... not so much.

I seem to recall about 789 Western TV shows where the good guys did that every week. Hell, the Waco Kid (Gene Wilder) shot the guns out of five or six guys in Blazing Saddles... and the guys applauded him.

fr in sc likes this.
  17. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Works for Cleopatra though :)

geralmar likes this.
  18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I wonder if Hollywood scripts will have to place more and more films in the past, before instantaneous communication obliterated standard suspense tropes. I groan watching many contemporary thrillers, which often resort to filming people typing frantically into a computer. That's gotta be a director's nightmare: characters gathered around a small screen, essentially doing nothing, but we're supposed to be excited about the eventual outcome.

SomeCallMeTim and EdgardV like this.
  19. Costner had a $500 sculpted Hollywood haircut himself.
    [​IMG]

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Probably wouldn't make a difference if they did because if they think a kid from Dusseldorf wearing lederhosen, etc sounds and looks better than a kid from Bavaria wearing the same clothes they'll do it anyway. :)

21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Another vote for guns that never run out of bullets.

SomeCallMeTim, EdgardV and Vidiot like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wrong ?
    Those darn remakes.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

In the poster, sure. In the film, he's haggard and very ragged in quite a few scenes in Dances with Wolves. Costner is one of the most non-egotistical directors I've ever worked with -- he often looks for input from other people, and he frequently was willing to let other actors outshine his own performance. I think he only has something like 20 lines of dialogue in most of Open Range, which is more about Robert Duvall than Costner.

24. arley

arley Forum Resident

Another physics gripe: At the beginning of North by Northwest, the bad guys drug Cary Grant and he's driving erratically on a cliffside road. One rear wheel slips off the edge of the cliff. He guns the engine and the car gets back on the road.

Sorry, there's no way that could happen. The differential would allow the free wheel to spin freely while no traction whatsoever would get to the wheel on the road.

SomeCallMeTim, geralmar and EdgardV like this.
  25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

A lot of these poster examples aren't "for years". More like "since Day One".

Even the remake obsession...that started a long long time ago. Silent version > Talkie version > Technicolor version > Widescreen version > 3D version > MPAA ratings lets-us-be-more-edgy version > change the main characters into minorities / women version > CGI version > CGI with 3D version.

Makes me wonder what the next remake craze will be....the hologram version?

fr in sc and Rufus McDufus like this.