What type of Audiophile are you?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by benjammin, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

CDs mostly but I go through phases of listening to records.
    Both my CD and vinyl sounds good but I can't get my computer audio to sound anywhere near them so I burn files off my computer so I can play them on my CD transport/DAC.

2. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

Is it what format an individual listens to that dictates whether they are an audiophile or is it how they listen to that format?

Or is it whether someone constantly critiques their audio system to the point where new gadgets are introduced in an attempt to reach unmatched musical fidelity?

Is it just a person who enjoys listening to talented musicians?

Or someone who digs into the fine details of the recording mix?

The FRiNgE likes this.
  3. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I've had a couple external drives that took a dive. Lots of music files went with them. And though I have them back, for some reason, it's just not much fun listening to MP3 files. Why, I don't know.

I can sit through an LP, and lately I discovered even a CD isn't all that bad. Is it that a music file is missing something deep down that cause our brains to lose interest? Or is it just me?

Wounded Land likes this.
  4. hifiguyex

hifiguyex Active Member

If I could, I would list all three choices.....most of the time I do listen via the Mac mini>Oppo 105D's Asynchronous USB DAC>Parasound P7>Parasound A21>custom speaker pair.
    I have a good assortment of CDs, DVD-A, SACD. LPs are played on a Marantz TT15S1

5. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I consider myself a vinyl one, but - I do have more music on CD's than on vinyl, simply because more music was available on CD's than on vinyl back when the bulk of my phonoteque was assembled.

Wounded Land likes this.
  6. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I'm a... 'if it sounds good, it is good' - vinyl guy.

CDs are ok too.

If it sounds really good... really good enough for me! Rock on.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Kyhl and The FRiNgE like this.
  7. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Yes!
    Personally I am into all four points you mention. I am content to listen to a nicely restored Grundig Radio, especially voice from an EV RE-20, a vintage record player (no mint or NM records played on that) or a stratospheric high end system as those auditioned as a hifi expo. Definitely a gear junkie, the speakers I build have reached a fine level of presentation, that I am "fooled" into hearing a sound or instrument located somewhere not near the speaker... just love that! So my most important design objective is phase and time align for accurate time cues, dynamics, and stunning three dimensional sound.

8. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I do enjoy quality equipment and cables for the sound quality they produce. I really don't give a hoot about room acoustics. Just play the stereo.

I do 'collect' specific pressings and masterings of specific LPs and CDs. Some sound better than others. Why settle for an inferior LP or CD?

But I'm not really an audiophile... I have enough problems already. :)

Being an audiophile is fine - something to do!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  9. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Mostly convenience audiophile. Mix CDs from iTunes. I imported most of my cd collection at 256 AAC. Sounds ok to me and I dread the day it doesn't anymore.

10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Hey, my trusty blue tooth speaker I use in the kitchen every morning while I cook breakfast crapped out. What did I do? SOLO CUP BABY!:)

Kyhl and The Pinhead like this.
  11. matteos

matteos Stereotype

I prefer vinyl. But I love the other two as well. I find vinyl gives the best sound quality and most pleasure. But it is the most inconvenient. There are times with it that things just go wrong and it sounds like crap. It requires dedication more so than the other two but when it's right it's unbeatable... at home.

Nobody listens to vinyl in their car or walking down the street.

I remember those inconvenient CD Walkman's and a bag full of CDs when I used to walk to my work. We live in a great time where we have a vinyl resurgence and also super convenient digital. Love all formats.

Wounded Land and Dennis0675 like this.
  12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

None of the above. I like good sound I'm not concerned about the delivery system.

13. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Well said sir!

parman and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I use a paper cup. Sounds perfectly fine, no need for uber expen$ive $OLO cup$.

:winkgrin:

parman, Kyhl and Manimal like this.
  15. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

I love vinyl but I don't really listen to it for absolute fidelity. I like its intrinsic and unique sounds, probably because I grew up with that sound and all it's special qualities as well as its flaws.
    It also feels "alive", in that a vinyl record has a life span and must be taken care of, unlike the cold immortality of digital.
    Because of this, it feels more like going to a live music event, or performing a concert, as the rituals and extra "in-the-moment-ness" is very similar.

16. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Ideally, I strive to be a "focused" audiophile.

Format: I've been CD-centric for 30 years now. I do have music on computer and phone. However, it is simply a mobile representation of my CD library...no more, no less. Sure I've dabbled in LPs, tape, streaming, servers, etc. But I find it distracts me from my core collection. Streaming is great for audition, though.

Software
    : My primary focus is on Rock studio albums with small set of Jazz albums as secondary. Since CDs are so cheap, I recently took on some compilations, as well. Only one version of an album...usually the original CD release over the remaster. It's a small "library" (each one is used on a regular basis) and not a "collection".

Equipment: I've had the same home system for a decade now. Recently pieced a secondary office system and had to resist "tricking it out". Stuck with the "budget" approach.

I love reading/discussing many things audio-related...funny how that defocuses from actual listening!

:targettiphat:

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. yohimeys

yohimeys Member

I love all the formats, i do vinyl cds/flash drive reel to reel 1/4 inch tape, this is a really good time in audio. Right now for a little bit of money a young person can get a high quality sounding 2 channel system for very reasonable investment, especially cd player side, back in the 90's hell you had to pay 3k or more on a pro cd player to get the sound available today for 400.00! the dacs have improved so much since then that most anyone could happily live without vinyl at all. Yes i do have a spinner, its a doozy too, but my marantz 6005 cd player with a usb input sound so musical, and audiophile like that i wouldnt commit suicide if my vpi scout 2 was trashed , or stolen. The usb on the cd player is a godsend! I can copy/paste hundreds of wav/flac hd music files to a thumb drive in fat 32 not ntsf format and my marantz plays them all day long , even in random mode if i choose. My akai gx-635d reel to reel is used to record from either source, even fm if i want, the tape really sounds wonderful too, ive recorded music files from marantz via usb input to the reel to reel and im taken back how good all this works together and sounds so good. I could live happily with any one of these formats, but i certainly love having all 3 in combination at my finger tips.

18. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Sounds like the room is playing you man. You don't know what you're missing out on. I recently treated my room and the difference....:love:

19. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I'm mostly a cd guy. I do purchase music downloads from time to time but I like having physical product. I gave up on lps. To expensive and takes up too much space in my tiny little home.

20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

So you didn't feel appropiate to downsize to a manageable quantity (200-300 lps ?)

21. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

Vinyl and CDs for me.

22. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

More digital and CD based than vinyl based, although my record collection is by far my largest. I just enjoy what I enjoy at this point. I gave up on looking for perfection a long time ago.

23. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`m into vinyl but I also still love playing cds.I`m very clueless about much of the technical side of turntables and all that.I`ve been watching youtube instructional videos like Vinyl Nirvana and others whenever something seemingly simple comes up that I become curious about.It`s easier for me to get the idea when I`m watching somebody show and explain it instead of just reading.

24. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I used to do the set up myself, but dont have the patience anymore. I have a turntable guru I pay to go over my turntable whenever I change the cartridge every few years. He adjusts the suspension, replaces the oil and checks the bearings etc... Well worth it to me

steveharris likes this.
  25. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I didn't have that many to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.