Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

It has been posted elsewhere that the black vinyl Play It Again Sam EU release haves HL K6 in the deadwax, which identifies the cutting engineer as Heono Leja at Optimal.

I don't have any of these releases to check this - but the discogs entry for VGPS confirms it.

Telemark likes this.
  2. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

Surprising, since you obviously knew last December, when these were being discussed.

There really has been far too much misinformation posted on this thread about the EU releases, mainly from people very wrongly assuming that what own represents all versions, but it is dispiriting to see this continuing when it the correct information was posted 10 months ago.

3. Not colored vinyl.

I knew and bought black vinyl editions from both the US and U.K over the past 18 months or so. . I was referring to red and black stickers that were on the covers from each country.

If I miswrote, than I apologize. I only knew of colored vinyl from the 80s or so. But I never purchased any of those.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  4. search&destroy

search&destroy Well-Known Member

according to michael fremer on analog planet....the kinks mono box is AAA....completely analog except for the double greatest hits album which is digitally sourced.
    now its worth getting.....:righton:

morinix likes this.
  5. Exactly as we've been posting here since Sandavol said this awhile back.

6. search&destroy

search&destroy Well-Known Member

on amazon uk....the kinks mono box label is sony music....on amazon usa..the label is sanctuary. does that possibly indicate different pressings?

7. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

Again a surprising statement, because just before your post about only having the the digital EU versions, you acknowledged the existence of the EU red vinyl issues in this interchange.

Of course there was nothing "special" about the red vinyl issues, they were perfectly standard releases.

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

This is one of my favorite episodes of Perry Mason.

9. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

Because of the large amount of misinformation and number of "miswritings" on this thread about post 2010 Kinks vinyl releases, I thought I'd try to summarize the correct information (I hope!) in a single post here. Looking back this mix up started in post 4 with the 2011/2 coloured vinyl and the 2014/5 black vinyl being confused, and since then we have had black/red vinyl Summer 2015 issues to add to the confusion! Any corrections/additions welcome.

First off all, a bit of history, I'm covering the material from the first eponymous LP through to Percy, which were originally issued by Pye records in the UK/Europe and by Reprise in the US. Because of the long running dispute between the group and Reprise, US reissues are simple, AFAIK there were no new vinyl releases in the US from 1972's Kink Kronikles until the 2015 Kevin Grey cuts. In Europe there have been a series of vinyl reissues from 1972 as Pye was renamed or changed ownership - Pye itself in the 70s, PRT in the 80s (both of these well thought of), Castle Essentials in the late 80s/early 90s and Earmark in the early 2000s (neither well thought of). Post 2010 releases have been on Sanctuary Records, who have released the following vinyl, initially under ownership of Universal, then BMG.

1. 2010-11 Sanctuary/ Universal. EU issues of Something Else (mono) and VGPS (mono). I know nothing about these releases except that their Discogs entries imply they were Pye Records replicas with original Pye NPL zzzzz serial numbers.

2. 2011-2012 Sanctuary/Universal. EU issues of mono/stereo double albums on coloured vinyl - Face to Face (blue), Something Else (red), VGPS (green translucent/orange splatter!) and Arthur (white). Andrew Sandoval said on this forum that his Deluxe CD masters were used to cut these releases. Serial numbers 273 zzz-z.

3. Dec 2014 - Jan 2015 Sanctuary/BMG/Play It Again Sam records. EU issues of the 7 mono studio albums on black vinyl. Have a K6 in the deadwax, which has sometimes been mistaken for Kevin Grey's signature, but were actually cut by Heino Leja at Optimal, presumably from a digital source. Serial numbers again NPL zzzzz.

4. June 2015 (US) - July 2015 (EU) Sanctuary/BMG/Sony Legacy records. The first 4 mono albums on black vinyl (US) and red vinyl (EU) (For completeness sake, there are also EU white label releases on black vinyl!). Cut by Kevin Grey from analogue masters and have KG@CA in the deadwax. Serial numbers beginning with BMG (US) and 888 (EU).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  10. Thanks for litigating this. I wrote I heard about the red vinyl but never actually heard them. I'm only discussing my knowledge of recent reissues. I say special because in my opinion a colored vinyl issue is just that. Usually limited.

To be precise; I've only heard Kinks reissues since 2014/15 plus the originals from the 60s and 70s.

Your witness.

Neonbeam and Stu02 like this.
  11. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I hope someone has the answer for this pressing question.

12. My guess is they will be pressed at different times only because their release dates are about a month apart from each other. But just a guess and I don't know if different plants or just one are pressing this.

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Sorry, but I dont feel like I've been "misinformed" by reading this thread.

goodiesguy, Rekkerds and scotth like this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Careful, you've already been accused of misinforming us.

scotth and Mazzy like this.
  15. That why I wrote "my guess." I don't want to go to jail. :tiphat:

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I enjoyed being blissfully ignorant until it was pointed out to me.

Mazzy likes this.
  17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

A little bit more confusion: Pretty positive entry one are counterfeit copies. Why do you think they actually are from Sanctuary Universal?

Entry two were Record Store Day releases from 2012 with the exception of "Village Green" which stupidly was released individually through Universal''s website in 2011 and promptly sold out. Making it virtually impossible to have a full set of these coloured Kinks Mono/ Stereo double albums in 2012. The liner notes are taken directly from the Deluxe CDs talking about bonus tracks not included here:crazy:

A question concerning four: The EU releases were also cut by Kevin and analogue? Wasn't the consensus the EU releases were cut from digital?

Sorry but this is still confusing....

Mazzy likes this.
  18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Then you're on the right track.

Paully, Mazzy and Neonbeam like this.
  19. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I picked my VGPS release from this series up in Pretty Green a year late - #0020!

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

In Berlin no dealer was able to order it. It was virtually impossible to get hold of in 2012 without paying a flipper on thE bay. Knowing what I know now and armed with Mono/ Stereo PRT pressings I don't think it's especially desirable. Even though I kept the RSD releases because they are looking nice.

FJFP likes this.
  21. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

For any interested here are the red vinyl KG versions on Amazon.uk:

Kinks
    Kinda Kinks
    The Kink Kontroversy
    Face To Face

I held off buying these for a while as I have the black/white label Pyes but after trying one I thought the improvement sufficient to get the rest. I got them from Dodax via Amazon Marketplace and the correct versions turned up. Kontroversy/Kinda Kinks are available direct from Amazon as part of a two for £30 deal.

Jim B. and Mazzy like this.
  22. I'm not commenting much but I think I agree with you. I think all the recent U.K. are digital. If there was also an analogue series or even a few from the U.K. , I personally never knew about them.

Otherwise I take the fifth.

23. Oh so it was a special limited release :tiphat:

24. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

Just to be absolutely clear, the EU red vinyl (listed above) are exactly the same as the US KG analogue versions (apart from the scuff marks on the US).

25. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

What I thought was that the red UKs were the same as the black US KGs, but the earlier black UKs were digital.