Who are the Dylan and Beatles of rap? Will it ever produce equivalents?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerrvonkramer, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

I think he may also be the self-proclaimed "Dante's Peak of rap" as well, but don't quote me on that.

Oh wait, I think that might have been Craig Mack... My bad.

2. phish

phish Jack Your Body

And they were a punk band. And they were a jazz band. I'd argue that the Beastie Boys were better than both the Beatles and Hendrix, but heads would explode.

Arkay_East likes this.
  3. arglebargle

arglebargle Forum Resident

Miles Davis is (apocryphally) on the record as a fan, saying he "never got tired of listening to Paul's Boutique." Would love to find a better source on that than the Bay Area Music Magazine but ... anyways. Fans of the Beasties might enjoy this mix: DJs Cheeba, Moneyshot and Food's reworking of Paul's Boutique using original sample sources, acapellas and period interviews. Quite a few aha moments for me realizing, oh, of course, that sample. ‘Paul’s Boutique’ remade by Cheeba, Moneyshot & Food »

Mr. Grieves and phish like this.
  4. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I can't believe you didn't mention 2pac. He clearly got better after his quality early a albums of 2pacalypse Now and Strictly 4 my N.IG.G.A.Z and released 3 classics in a row Me Against The World, All Eyez On Me and The 7 Day Theory. He had the heart of a poet and was very profound and dark. Like many rock rebels he was much smarter than many believed and had a conflicted soul between what was expected of him and what he felt deep down was right. Also like a lot of rock stars, his iconic status was furthered by his young death.

5. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

How about The Roots??, maybe the The Who of rap??

A couple more albums and Outkast would been The Beatles of rap, too bad Andre 3000 never released a solo album, he could easily have been also the Dylan

Kendrick last year released his "The Times Are A Changin'", let's wait for his Highway 61

mfp likes this.
  6. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I already made my point here. Just wanna add a special shoot out to my nigga Snoop D.O.G.G for making Doggystyle one of the coolest, smokiest and funkiest records ever. In his own words, it still sounds fresh as a million bucks

7. GonnaGetcha

GonnaGetcha Forum Resident

A lot of people here trying to make this more complicated than it is. "Who is the Dylan of Rap?" Comparing a guy who rhymes for a living with other guys who rhyme for a living. Seems pretty straightforward.

Let's take 2 Dylan pieces, "It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" and "Last Thoughts On Woody Guthrie", and ask where are the Rap tunes which center on universal themes, wax poetically and prolifically for 15 verses while rhyming every line without using any rhyme filler, every word having a real purpose.

And 5-8 album runs? Dylan has 50 years of producing original material under his belt. If Rap began with The Sugarhill Gang, who is the Rap artist who started at the beginning and has continuously put out new material and toured consistently for almost 40 years? Anyone?

Who compares?

8. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Mr. Grieves, Naughty Chord and phish like this.
  9. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

That's an interesting question. I guess no one thought someone would surpass Frank Sinatra or Elvis Presley in 1963 but The Beatles surpassed both of them.

However to be honest there will be no Beatles of rap or hip-hop. It's not going to happen. It's time to move on.

deany76 likes this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

:D

11. October23

October23 Member

Andre 3000.

12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Up next:

Who's the Mahler of Soul
    Who's the Sinatra of Blue Grass
    Who's the DJ Shadow of Classic Rock
    Who's the Nick Cave of K-Pop

mantis4tons likes this.
  13. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I'm not much into hip-hop but with 13 number one albums I say that Jay Z must be doing something right.

14. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

"My Beautiful, Dark, Twisted Fantasy" is an absolute stone cold classic. Lyrically and musically. I can put this on alongside any classic Beatles, Stones or anybody else's work and it stands alongside, comfortably!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  15. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

What do you mean by Frank Sinatra or Elvis being surpassed? I have yet to hear any vocal performance by Paul, John, George or Ringo that bettered Frank or any stage performance that matched the raw charisma of early Elvis. If anybody needs to move on its the Beatles fans who can't see past the end of their noses.

16. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

What do you mean by Frank Sinatra or Elvis being surpassed? I have yet to hear any vocal performance by Paul, John, George or Ringo that bettered Frank or any stage performance that matched the raw charisma of early Elvis. If anybody needs to move on its the Beatles fans who can't see past the end of their noses.

17. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

18. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

19. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

Sorry for multiple replies, forum was playing up for a while!

20. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

I would think Kanye, and Kendrick Lamar could be on his way to being the Beatles of rap. Kendrick's To Pimp a A Butterfly was pretty insane

Stone Turntable likes this.
  21. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

I'm amazed Hip Hop and Rap is so popular and hasn't died out like punk rock.
    I find many of the lyrics offensive and the beat monotonous.
    I actually cant listen.
    Someone on another site compared Kayne West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" as equal to "Sgt Peppers" I kid you not.

teag likes this.
  22. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Missy Elliott had an incredible run of six supa dupa albums in a row.

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  23. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

Well, I also compare it to "Pepper's." I also happen to think it's better. Blasphemy on this forum, but there you go. I suspect you haven't listened to it. In fact you state that, so I find your comments pretty weird. I am a Beatles fan but dont happen to think they are the be all and end all.

mantis4tons likes this.
  24. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Marvin, man.
    What's Going On is the Like A Rolling Stone of soul music.
    Let's Get It On is Blonde on Blonde.
    And of course Here My Dear is his Blood on the Tracks.

Arkay_East likes this.
  25. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

I said I can't listen not I haven't tried to listen, which I have with "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" and plenty of other similar, if that helps you find my comments less weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.