Ebay purchase- damaged Yamaha AVR

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by CraigC, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up Thread Starter

I bought a used Yamaha Aventage AVR on Ebay which arrived today with the hinge broken off on the front lid. A broken piece was in the box, but I'm not sure if it's complete and I think it would be very challenging to try and repair with glue. It doesn't open/close properly and sits crooked when I manipulate it closed. The seller is going to check with FedEx and says they'll make it right which I'm not too concerned about.

Any thoughts on what I should expect as a fair resolution? Even if I can get a new "door" from Yamaha, it doesn't seem to be a part that just snaps off and on. I'd probably use the remote most of the time, but the living with a dysfunctional crooked "door" does bother me.

If it helps, here are Google image pics of the receiver with the front lid opened and closed...thanks for any guidance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CrazyCatz likes this.
  2. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Was this amp shipped in the factory box and packing? That could easily be the deciding factor in FedEx covering this.

As for the answer to your question, it would be to have a technician fix the front door. Any Yamaha service center could take care of this. I would ask FedEx as to who they'd like to have service the amp.

3. CraigC

Yes, it was shipped in the factory box.

ggergm likes this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The item you bought didn't have that damage. The seller is totally on the hook for this. They need to follow through with the shipper--although you'll be asked to do something eventually. If the shipper doesn't make it right, then you can ask for a full refund and return shipping costs. eBay will back you up. And it makes no difference whatsoever what the seller put in their listing. They are responsible for getting the item to you as described.

If you don't want to return it, then it's up to you to determine a satisfactory resolve in terms of how much you will accept to cover the damage.

tmtomh, Shawn and ggergm like this.
  5. A similar thing happened to me. I had my Yamaha RX-V3900 shipped a long distance to a repair centre (in the unit's factory box going across Australia) and it came back to me with its door dislodged and partially open, and it wouldn't close. I took the cover off the unit and fortunately I was able to snap the door hinges (which are part of the door) back onto the hinge rod within the unit. I reckon if a new door can be sourced, then the receiver in question may be as good as new.

I bought my unit new and I recall when I unpacked it that the door had been secured in the factory using a piece of tape. I failed to retape the door when I sent my receiver away to the repair centre and the repairer also failed to tape the door for the unit's return journey. My theory is that the tape is needed in case the box gets a hard knock in transport. If there is no tape and the box gets a serious knock, then there is a chance that the door may violently swing open and possibly be dislocated and/or broken.

One thing is for sure - for that to happen the factory box was subjected to a violent shock when it was transit. I think it would be fair if FedEx paid for the repair of the door.

6. CraigC

Thanks for the replies and good point about the probable need to tape the door closed. The seller filed a claim and it's pending review with FedEx now, we'll see.

7. Have you connected the AVR to your system to see if it works, regardless of the door issue? If there was enough damage to cause the door to break (which I would think would need to be pretty significant), I'd be concerned interior parts got damaged/broken/dislodged.

8. CraigC

I did a very basic test with an old CD player/speakers and everything functioned.

9. strymeow

strymeow Forum Resident

Updates on this?

10. CraigC

Still pending with FedEx, claim form states it can take 5-7 business days. I also recently bought a used OPPO 105D which is outstanding thus far. I want to try it with multi-channel analog which my current AVR doesn't offer. It sucks, but stuff happens.

strymeow likes this.
  11. CraigC

Figured I'd give an update. FedEx eventually denied the claim and said they needed more pictures. The seller said FedEx would pay once they received more pics which I provided and he asked me yesterday to ship the receiver back to him for a refund. I was good with that, but he then offered me a $100 partial refund which I accepted. I ended up paying $250 less (including shipping) than the $550 refurb price for this receiver on accessories4less.com. I can deal with finagling the door open and closed if need be. The only thing I really need to access under the panel is the calibration mic input which I set up fine.

Fingers crossed that it lasts, but everything is working properly. I've got more power and bi-amped the front speakers when I hooked everything up. Time to turn it up :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.