Lady Gaga announces new single 'Perfect Illusion' and album JOANNE (21st October 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Her new persona is just as laughable as her Meat Dress one. This new persona is less embarrassing but no less calculated and artificial. I don't know who she's trying to appeal to now but it isn't going to work.

Maybe she should have waited a few more years and tried to write an album for adults instead of teenagers and people in their early 20's who obviously moved on to other things years ago.

If anything, she's proving with each new album and image change that she's no Madonna. She's quickly becoming The Clown Princess Of Pop.

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Can her career recover from one bad, and one (apparently) mediocre album (say) two years from now?

I think her 15 minute as a viable mainstream pop act are pretty much up by this point. It's time for her to start seriously re-thinking her career direction and where she can go with it.

You only get so many chances to win back an audience (or gain a new one) before the public decides that they're done with you.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

That's actually a pretty weak score for Metacritic. When it comes to music, you don't see new releases dipping down into the yellow like that all that often. It's kind of strange actually how everything seems to hit in that 60 - 85% range. . .

5. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

"How can I possibly make an album about twerking in the club? It feels empty, it feels irrelevant."

She is such a fraud.

goodiesguy and JohnnyQuest like this.
  6. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

I think that it's a interesting album, have good moments, but not that album that i would listen every day.

7/10

7. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

The quote that TheSeventhStranger is talking about was said by Gaga in an interview from earlier today. Gaga was talking about the inspiration for the song "Angel Down" when she made that comment. She said the song was inspired by Trayvon Martin's death, and that twerking is a weird topic to be singing about when there are more important things going on in the world. I'm sure some people will find it hypocritical for the person who sang "Just Dance" to make a comment like that.

8. The7thStranger

No, that's not the issue at all.

Is the way she says this stuff as if she's so much better than anybody else in her field. I'm waiting for the thousand club remixes to Perfect Illusion which her fans will definitely be twerking in the club to. She's just a pop star. I don't know why she can't just be happy with that. She's trying to make us think there's some grand, organic design behind her work, but there just isn't.

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

So the album is out now? That's @JohnnyQuest's Christmas present sorted.:D

10. The7thStranger

I supposed I'm getting a half-mastered golden pressing of Glory?

11. JohnnyQuest

:unhunh: I had no idea you hated me that much.
    She was successfully able to make Joanne empty and irrelevant without any twerk anthems. Impressive.
    [​IMG]

12. The7thStranger

Solange wrote the LP Gaga tried to make.

13. Bobby Morrow

Well, it's certainly true that Britter's could use the sales...

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  14. The7thStranger

[​IMG]

JohnnyQuest and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. JohnnyQuest

Ouch. That kind of hurts, but it's so true. :) Gaga can't say she didn't have any help either.
    Now Kevin, Beck and Mark can finally move away from this crash site and return to making good music. :thumbsup:

16. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I predict this album will sell hundreds of copies.

17. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I listened to it for the first time this morning and I kind of liked it! :hide: I could never sit down and listen to Artpop and Born This Way didn't last too long in my rotation, but I could see listening to Joanne more than those. If the vinyl wasn't delayed until December I'd probably pick it up today. We'll see how I feel about it in a couple of months when that does come out, but as of this morning I'm a fan again.

18. Bobby Morrow

It's received mediocre reviews in the press here. Although we rarely go over the top in the U.K.:)

It's very different to all the hoopla surrounding the release of the Artpop album. Joanne has slunk out with it's tail between it's legs. The new Michael Buble CD has gotten more fanfare than this.:D

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  19. The7thStranger

She can't risk making her own hype anymore. I think Artpop left her feeling pretty embarrassed, given the comments she made after its promotion.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I've said it in another thread- at some point within the next few years she will announce the retirement of the Lady Gaga persona (or "character" or whatever) and begin releasing albums under her real name with a wild shift in direction in an attempt to reach a new, broader audience.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  21. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

my feelings as well.

22. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Put on a pink sombrero, learn a couple of chords on the guitar and play bars with hired hands like she is fronting some hard working band or something? Who is going to buy that stuff?

goodiesguy and JohnnyQuest like this.
  23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I was never into Gaga when she was big, but I've enjoyed her acting and SNl appearances over the past few years, so I'm paying more attention to her now. Just listening to the clips of the new album at prostudiomasters (1 minute clips each, so you get a decent sense of the song), I think it sounds like a good album. Might be my first Gaga purchase.

Does anyone here listen to the songs? Seems like 80% of the comments are about how much hype or lack of hype the album is getting. It's almost like the movie business, where all that matters is the opening weekend number and something is deemed immediately flop or hit and then hyped more or ignored.

24. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I have been listening to it today and enjoying it a great deal. I was reticent to post in this thread because of the negativity toward this release, but I personally think this is her best record (along with The Fame Monster). I've always liked Lady Gaga. Her catalog is imperfect but I kind of like that about her. She takes chances and sometimes they don't work. I think Joanne definitely works. Her voice sounds great and some of the songs are really leaping out at me (especially John Wayne, Joanne, Diamond Heart and Million Reasons). Very good stuff, for me personally.

I think this is an interesting idea. I think we're getting a taste of that with Joanne.

Here's a pretty good review of the album from ARTV, definitely giving the record a thoughtful critique:

905 and BeardedSteven like this.
  25. JohnnyQuest

It might be the worst album of 2016. :sigh: She took the Christina Aguilera-esque vocals to the next level. Where is the vocal control? These are songs, not talent shows.

This is supposed to be her mature and personal album, right? Songs like A-Yo, John Wayne, Dancin' in Circles, etc. totally detract from the introspective tone of the album.

I can't wait to smoke them all
    Whole pack like Marlboro
    Blow it in your face, blow it in your face
    Blow it in your, blow it in your face

I can't wait to rev you up
    Faster than you can say "Ferrari"
    Tearin' up the gravel, watch you unravel
    Now it's a party

Hey, I can't wait to cast my spell
    Which one you'll never tell
    'Cause I got it covered, city gravy southern
    Got you drippin' like no other