New Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Album ("Skeleton Tree") & Film (September 9, 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by inaptitude, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Ah ok, I forgive you then :)

Echo likes this.
  2. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

There is a comment by KOBALT-BADSEEDLTD on Discogs about the Vinyl issues:

Message from Kobalt Label Services / Bad Seed Ltd

We are aware that some purchasers of the Skeleton Tree vinyl have experienced issues – the vinyl is dusty and / or marked. And in some cases we understand this has affected the playability.

We have discussed this with the manufacturers and distributors of the vinyl, and it appears to be caused by issues with either the ink or glue from the print of the inner sleeve.
    In some cases it does seem that the problem can be rectified by cleaning the vinyl, however we know that this won’t work in all cases.

If you continue to experience problems, and are able to, please return the vinyl to the store you purchased it from. If you have issues obtaining a replacement copy, please email [email protected]

We apologise for any inconvenience caused, we want to do our best in resolving this issue.

Kobalt Label Services / Bad Seed Limited

https://www.discogs.com/Nick-Cave-The-Bad-Seeds-Skeleton-Tree/release/8989572#comment634984

Robert C and AaronW like this.
  3. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Wish they would say where they got the vinyl pressed.

4. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

In the current issue No. 7 of German vinyl Magazine Mint Magazin | Das Magazin für Vinyl-Kultur » the review of this LP says "PW: Optimal". PW stands for Presswerk = Pressing plant. They always try to give the pressing plant if information is available. I'm not sure if this is ALWAYS correct. Often it is though.

I find it hard to believe this was pressed by Optimal though. On the one hand because I've never heard of such a faulty pressing by them before. On the other hand their matrix info in the runout usually is a unique identifier. I'm curious if Optimal would confirm this. It would not be very helpful for their reputation if they did...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    stem and AaronW like this.
  5. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

Anyone can make mistakes. I do not think that, if this hypothesis were true, it could destroy the professionalism of Optimal.
    And in any case, the box is not selected by the black dot.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Neonbeam likes this.
  6. stem

stem Forum Resident

Never heard of it before, but that looks like a good magazine.

7. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

timnor likes this.
  8. KN Leong

KN Leong Well-Known Member

Finally got a reply from skeleton[email protected]

"Hello

Thanks for your email – I am so sorry you received a faulty vinyl.
    We will be in touch shortly to arrange sending you a replacement.

Kobalt Label Services / Bad Seed Limited"

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  9. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

On my visits to Germany, I have actually bought that magazine. I don't read or speak German very well but it is a fascinating publication with loads of reviews. I really like the advertisements for record stores and hi-fi dealers in the magazine from an informational viewpoint. It is a pity that it is not published in the English language. The reviews look very professional as are the album reviews. Yes, I am very surprised that this is an Optimal pressing too. Something obviously went haywire with this one!

10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Quite honestly: No. It's rather a cash in on the vinyl resurgence and another example for lazy journalism. They didn't investigate a single risky topic (Counterfeits in Germany for instance) and when they visited GZ it was all smiles. Instead you get boring stuff like "My record collection". Thank you, no.

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Try the Record Collector. A much better magazine:righton:

dlemaudit likes this.
  12. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Such a beautiful song. Heartbreaking.

Marc 74 likes this.
  13. KN Leong

KN Leong Well-Known Member

Another email from Kobalt :
    "Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch re: Skeleton Tree faulty vinyl.

If you can provide your full name and mailing address, we will send a new copy of the new pressing to your address over the next ten days.

Again, we apologise for this issue, thank you for your patience

Best,

Kobalt Label Services / Bad Seed Limited"

Sounds like they are really doing another pressing.

14. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

A friend of mine received his vinyl repressing. Comes in a proper inner sleeve now.

15. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Received my 3rd copy today, send free from the record company which was great service. 3rd time lucky as it plays silent. They have put a liner sleeve in the inner sleeve now. Not sure the reason is fully right as i had both scratches and distortion on my 1st copy on side 2 and on copy number 2 loud groove distortion crackle when the music swelled in a couple of places on the opening track (1st copy was fine on this track) which makes me think the pressing was not great to start with before even being sleeved. Nevertheless they have been great to sort me out like that.

16. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

From the collecting point of view: do you notice some differences (barcode number, matrix numbers and so on) between your current copy and your previous copies?
    Thanks.

Robert C and AaronW like this.
  17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Just saw on Twitter that he and the Bad Seeds are going to play live shows next year......Australia and New Zealand.

It's great he decided to tour again after what happened. I'll be curious how many of the new songs get played.

Hope he plays New York City later in 2017.

BeardedSteven and Marzz like this.
  18. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Thanks for the info! I'm curious about the new songs as well. The only shows are in January so far. Another big plus for me is that he's being supported by The Necks. A must see!! :thumbsup:

The dates,
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Unveil Massive 2017 National Tour »

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Pretty surprising that Nick Cave would do any live-date, but now that they are truly hitting the road, then I will hope to see them here in Finland.
    Looking forward and hoping that full European tour will happen (major tour, not just few places).

20. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

21. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I guess we'll be making the drive up to Denver next June, maybe make a long weekend road trip out of it or something.

22. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I hate planning for shows so far in advance but I'll be getting some Chicago tickets just in case I can make it work for me.

JL6161 likes this.
  23. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Completely agree with you on this. Got my new copy in the mail today and it's pristine. Yes I believe the regular inner dirtied it up but it wasn't a good pressing to begin with. It looked good (well, better anyway) after cleaning but still sounded distorted as you noted. Fantastic customer service by Kobalt.

24. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

2 second row Denver tickets!!

25. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Lucky you. I gave up on the messed up sale and won't pay the super-premium crap. I've seen him about a dozen times already and don't want to cough up the $ then sit at a show feeling I was taken for more than it was worth,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.