I've been advised to get a micro-line stylus, what options do I have?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SibilanceSegs, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm finding that out with used records. Have a Joe Cocker "With a Little Help From My Friends" Lp very old, very little scratches, but lots of wear, and you can tell which songs the previous owner played over an over. As a general rule i try to follow to play a LP from start to finish, that way I get completely familiar with the whole album and there's even wear across the entire LP. If I want to listen to a song I will throw on the CD or even a MP3 playlist on my A-Pod (old android I use for music)

2. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

Perhaps the DL-103 would be right up your alley as you clearly enjoy Denon already. Personally I find the DL-103 to be too forward and bright, but I do not deny it's magical attributes. It's been while since I've owned one, but had the DL-103R a year or two ago for a spell and was extremely impressed. Same story regarding tonal balance. It's an EXCITING cartridge with very prominent upper mids and it has some bite, but it is also deliciously alluring and on the right record, absolute magic, more so than the standard 103 according to memory, but couldn't swear by it. I think the mids may be more seductive with the 103R. If I had to name the most incredible audiophile experience I've ever had, would be Chris Isaak "Heart Shaped World", Denon DL-103R, a pair of Sony mini SUTs, Empire 498 turntable, restored Quad ESL 57 speakers, and my 6V6 tube amplifier in a small-medium room. Under those conditions with that lp, it is the best sound I have EVER heard. Would have kept the cartridge, but put on the wrong pressing and it will take your head off. I am very sensitive, though, to aggressive sound...way more so, probably, than the average person....dark, veiled, rich, thick, and creamy is my personal preference. Since the DL-103R uses a .06 mil conical, you likely have virgin territory on all used lps somewhere between the entirely more common .07 mil conicals and the .04 x .07 ellipticals that may have previously done damage. There is also the Sumiko Black Pearl, which uses a .05 mil conical, but I never had much luck getting that cartridge to sound very good and experienced poor bass extension. It seemed very midrangey without much else going on. Compared to the refinement of your DL-110 MC, you would probably think the Black Pearl sounds like dung. There's also Ortofon SPU. I have mixed feelings about those. Anyway...

Heckto35 likes this.
  3. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I have just posted a copy of an alignment procedure that I created a couple of years ago on another forum: Beginners Cartridge Alignment »

SibilanceSegs likes this.
  4. The Seeker

Inadequate method. Not good enough. Sorry.

5. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I only use micro-line and conicals. It's the ellipticals that can be problematic with IGD. I'm looking to step up my conical game. Perhaps I should try what you have there.

Heckto35 and The Pinhead like this.
  6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Yeah, the 103 certainly has its fans. It would take a new tonearm and SUT to get me there, but the replacement cost of several years would save me some money. Tough call.

How does a conical due with non-fill?

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

They're not a panacea, but yeah, I think most people here would benefit from having a spare headshell fitted with an M44 . If the groove is toast, it'll show, if to a different degree from different stylus shapes. Last used record I bought was the 3d Transvision Vamp one. You could hear the damaged groove on the dead wax and on soft intros/outros; otherwise OK, but not up to my standards. It looked mint.

I could have bought the CD for the same money. Just avoid used records whenever possible. The 44 is all I need. Call me a conformist but I think the kind and genre of the records I listen to would not benefit with an upgrade, and neither would my wallet (an M44 retails at U$ 130, no kiddin':yikes:)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  8. The Pinhead

My point exactly. I was quite lucky buying used in the 90s. Every used record I've bought in the 00s/10s was shot, kaput, finito, acabado. Just don't run the risk anymore, esp. since they've become so damned expensive down here.

:laugh:

PhilBiker and jeffsab like this.
  9. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Luck does have something to do with it. I never get IGD on good records but there are some that have it cut right into the groove. Kevin Gray has described how and why that happens.

On the other hand - and I'm not saying this is you or anybody else in this thread - I have been sent clips of needledrops from people claiming they hear no IGD or mistracking on them and, well, if that's what they think is clean, undistorted sound, so be it. But I'd have to disagree.

Heckto35, The Seeker and The Pinhead like this.
  10. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Would you be able to start a thread detailing your alignment procedure? Your input on Shure cartridges has been very helpful and I would imagine your suggestions for cartridge setup would be helpful too.

Ash76 likes this.
  11. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

I buy used records all the time and 9/10 times they're nice and quiet, often enough for me to not really worry about it. Honestly, I have more problems with brand new records; warped, eccentric & scratches straight out of the plastic are not rare. All my used records come from discogs and a local record store, no fleamarkets thank you very much.
    I guess the quietness could be the result of listening in mono.

Heckto35 and PhilBiker like this.
  12. The Pinhead

You buy only mono records ? Or listen to both mono and stereo records in mono ?:confused:

13. RhodesSupremacy

The latter

14. The Pinhead

Lemme guess; you use only one speaker ?

15. RhodesSupremacy

I'm not into imaging, so going single speaker mono was the logical move. I've been stereo-free for close to half a year now, no regrets.

The Seeker likes this.
  16. The Pinhead

Interesting.

17. The Seeker

I actually prefer mono, but with two speakers just to flesh it out a little. One of my favorite configurations is to run a vintage, tube mono phono pre with a y-cable into my stereo amp with the mono switch engaged. But then eventually I run out of mono pressings to play and switch it back. If everything in the world was mono, I would have no problem with that whatsoever.

RhodesSupremacy likes this.
  18. If you wish to spend a little less, consider this: LP Gear ATN95SA stylus »
    I put one on my AT95 & love it.
    [​IMG]
    Or, if you wish, you can score an AT440MLB:
    Audio-Technica AT-440MLa AT 440MLa AT440MLa phono cartridge »

c-eling likes this.
  19. The Pinhead

Stereo is overrated:laugh:

The Seeker likes this.
  20. The Seeker

Regarding cartridge alignment, I just removed my turntable from the wall shelf, set up a spotlight, gathered all my tools, and decided to re-recheck, re-align my cartridge. Turns out I had an azimuth issue I was previously unaware of. Also, cartridge/stylus slightly off...as in 1/2 a millimeter. This was because when I installed this cartridge, I had only done a quick and lazy alignment and never put the time in to make sure it was spot on. Just to re-adjust my cartridge has taken me 2 hours to get it right, and this is only the first step in completing a proper alignment. Next up is listening, test records, and electrical measurements. The reason I'm posting about this is to let you know that if you or someone you've hired are spending less time than this, something is off. Corners are being cut and adequate care is not being taken. That is, if you want to do it right. A good alignment job and setup is 2-4 hours of work, at least.

21. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Yes. Rechecking and listening and measuring.

I also tend to wait until my mind is right for detailed work. It's not always the case. Seems like mounting hardware can sometimes be slightly askew and that can throw things off just a bit as it all settles in. If I start out fresh in the morning and have things set by the evening, that's about how long it takes me. I'm faster and more accurate with some cartridges. Lens aberration is tricky and always distorting the story.

The Seeker likes this.
  22. The Pinhead

If I'd had to do this, I'd have stuck to CDs. Glad I had something who set mine up perfectly , and that conicals are more forgiving of alignment.

Heckto35 and PhilBiker like this.
  23. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Appreciate your honesty with this and it sounds like you know your stuff but why do all of the the videos on the internet make it look like a 10 minute job (once you get the general idea of how to do it)? Also none of these stress that it will, or should take two hours, or to consult your local dealer on proper set up.

Heckto35 likes this.
  24. The Pinhead

Because they're videos on the internet, posted by whoever feels like doing so. Prolly all of the people who post them have the best of intentions, but no solid knowledge of what they're doing.

I'd trust the 2-hour poster.

SibilanceSegs and The Seeker like this.
  25. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I am very interested in seeing and learning your methods. I for one would donate without hesitation for a pro write up on your methods and testing.

I just line up my sl1200mk5 with the technics alignment tool, check by eye for any skewing and try to make it so the arm us level with most slightly thicker 180gram records. I'm a machinist so I have great eyes for small details and inconsistencies.

Actual measurable scientific methods and results would be exactly what I would want.

chrischerm and The Pinhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.