Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Would a 'sound upgrade' trump the opportunity to hear something new though?

Not for me anyway.

2. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Depends on which show is better. Hard to know in this instance because we've never heard Buffalo, but if Toronto is more impassioned than that will do for me. Don't get me wrong, I'd like both.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  3. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I think they went with the Halloween 1964 show because it was 'known'. It retrospect the Royal Festival Hall 1964 would have been better (in my opinion) but we had to wait another 10 years for that.

Just can't get excited about Toronto...too burned into my mind. I doubt I'd even play it once. Buffalo though - even if it's not as 'good', just having the chance to compare and contrast would make it a winner as far as I'm concerned.

Also I'm one of those who couldn't care less if something is officially released or not. As long as you get to listen to it, it really shouldn't matter to you. It might matter to the label but it doesn't add value to the listening experience.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  4. So is BS 13 imminent or is talk of the content slightly premature ahead of a projected fall 2017 release?

5. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I'm still sticking with May 2017.

I think this is further along than we are being led to believe. I do have my reasons for thinking that, which I won't go into. Might be wrong, who knows.

6. I agree about Royal Festival Hall; it's the single best Dylan concert pre-66 in my opinion.

I have to disagree though about the importance of whether releases are official or not. In most cases the unofficial versions sound quite poor in comparison. I will now only buy official releases. I'm no stranger to boots but invariably I've found them poorly put together, mastered, and presented.

bobcat likes this.
  7. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Do we know much about the covers album of duets with Clydie King recorded around this time? I assume Abraham, Martin and John and Let's Begin are part of it?

Could that stuff be included on this release?

8. Obviously I don't know what your reasons are but I also believe they will release the Gospel set next and we won't be kept waiting long. They're working on it right now. The question remains what the content will be. Two discs of out-takes with any remaining unheard songs covering the 1979-82 period plus a "Deluxe" edition containing a complete 1981 concert? I can't imagine we're getting a 6CD set, let alone another 12 or 18 disc set this time!

9. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Why does he need a sound upgrade?

10. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Yep - Id go along with that. Awesome. Definitely the one that gets the most play in my place.

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Perhaps some light will be shed on one of the Saved sessions little mysteries:

“{399} BE THAT WAY
    Known studio recordings: Muscle Shoals, Sheffield, AL, February 14, 1980.
    It may not qualify as “the revelation of [a] mystery … kept secret since the world began” (Romans 16:25), but it would still be awfully nice to know the identity of “Be That Way.” Clearly listed in the Sony database as the last song recorded at the penultimate Saved session, according to Krogsgaard it does not exist. Instead, he lists an unknown song at the end of the previous day’s session, which according to the session logs required just a single false start and a single full take to complete. These two may well be one and the same. Whatever the case, there would appear to be an undocumented song from the Saved sessions, even if “Be That Way” is not its actual title. (Dylan rehearsed a song called “Show Me the Way” in October 1980—perhaps a reworking of the spiritual in John Work’s American Negro Songs and Spirituals [1940].)”

Excerpt From: Heylin, Clinton. “Still On the Road.” Chicago Review Press, 2010-11-17T06:00:00+00:00. iBooks.
    This material may be protected by copyright.

HominyRhodes and RayS like this.
  12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Show Me The Way" sounds way more "Born Again" than "Be That Way".

HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.
  13. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

And hopefully sounds nothing like "Born This Way" :D

revolution_vanderbilt and asdf35 like this.
  14. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I respect your point of view, but I'm on the other side of this. It DOES matter to me whether something is released officially or not -- can't really explain why, but it does. The BS11 release of "Sign On The Cross" was virtually identical (sound-wise) to the booted releases, but there was still something special and exciting about it appearing on an official release. I'd never connected with the solo piano "She's Your Lover Now" on the boots, with its muffled sound and unbalanced mix. Imagine if Sony had said, "It's already out there, leave it off BS12"! It sounds amazing on the official release, and a much wider audience will appreciate it now than ever had access to the boots. I think we boot collectors sometimes we forget that we are a tiny segment of the overall fandom; just because something is "out there" doesn't mean every fan has it.

"Live 1966" is a great example of what I'm talking about. If Sony had only released the unbooted concerts, how many of us would be complaining that the set is incomplete? But hey, they're "out there," right? Well, I never got "Genuine 1966" or whatever the other live '66 boot box was -- but I'll be buying this. And if Bob's team compares Buffalo 1980 to Toronto and decides that Buffalo is BETTER, then sure, use that. I'll b!tch about not getting Toronto, but I'll live. (Heck, Toronto's "out there" so I can always find it.) But if they compare Toronto with any other filmed gospel show and decide that Toronto is the best one, then they should use the one that's BEST over the one that's most rare.

Again, the obvious compromise is TWO shows in the box -- the "known" Toronto and something new. :righton:

jsb!, tms766, matt79rome89 and 7 others like this.
  15. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Toronto is one of his best shows, in my opinion. By the way, I don't know if other 1980 or 1981 professionally recorded shows can be much better than Toronto.

16. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

The music of the "born again" years is some of the most impassioned, and some of my favorite, music Dylan ever made. I simply can't express the excitement I have over this recent news, and I will devour this thing to pieces, in whatever form they end up releasing it.

I hope they release it in various tiers, with the "collector's" set as big as it can possibly be. There is so much territory to cover across all the studio and live recordings. I really hope they don't skimp.

I'm very curious to know what folks here think about this subject:
    1. How much appetite do you personally have? Where would your limit be, expressed either in terms of price, number of discs, or both?
    2. What do you think the overall market will bear regarding question #1? What would make the most sense for Sony?

My answers to the above:
    1. I have virtually no limit here in terms of number of discs, but would probably cap out at around $300-350. I did the Cutting Edge for more than that, and as much as I treasure that collection, I still have a sour taste over the price. No way I could do it again, and my wife would not be thrilled about it either. Out of love to her I probably couldn't/wouldn't do it.
    2. If they even do a collector's option, I think there's ZERO chance Sony will do anything larger than six discs. I would love to be proven wrong.

Finally, is there anything we can do to influence Sony towards releasing more rather than less?

17. DeeThomaz

I'm hoping "Caribbean Wind" is to this set what "Mississippi" was to TTS.

18. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I hope there will at least be an option for a 6 or more disc set of this.

I know a lot of people hate the 'born again' era because of the sentiment. Personally I just think they're great songs, and 'God' has always been there in Dylan's music, and also in the traditional music that Dylan is steeped in. Although this is referenced more directly over these albums. It's all one song.
    His singing during this period is probably the best of his career and the songs were pouring out of him at a fantastic rate.

This should be a fantastic release but as I said, I hope we get a lot more than a 2 or 3 disc set.

19. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

Spooky. That very song (the Biograph version) was playing over my speakers as I read your post. Great comparison. An epic song tried out many times, searching for its purest form. I can easily see it becoming a centerpiece of BS 13. But in the case of "Caribbean Wind," the potential is even greater, as you have more lyrical rework, and you have the sad fact that it never did become fully realized to Dylan's satisfaction, unlike "Mississippi" on Love and Theft.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I would expect the live version as there is a mono soundboard which was used as a copyright tape, and AT LEAST one or possibly two of the other takes (one of which doesn't circulate and is supposed to be the 'best' one) to be included.

21. DeeThomaz

If it isn't more than 3 discs, it can't possibly include enough live work to truly illuminate the magic of this period. It would completely miss the point. The studio outtakes will be fun (and, at least in terms of Shot of Love, essential) but I think this set will live and die based on it's live component.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  22. DeeThomaz

Exactly! The circulating outtake (Rundown?) is amazing, and from the description I've read, the uncirculating one is even better. I've seen it argued that it's one live appearance is Dylan's finest performance. Basically, EVERY extant version of the song should be squeezed in.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  23. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

1. Insatiable. No Limit minus zero.
    2. Different options, as per recent releases like BS12. Big Collector's Set, Medium Deluxe Set, and a 2CD set for the mass market. Trouble is, I end up buying all the choices. Gets expensive... but you only live once, so I'm led to believe.

Finally: Nothing I can do, that's for sure.

Catbirdman, ksuwdboots and DeeThomaz like this.
  24. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

LET US EXPAND (and amend) THIS TO A 6 DISC EDITION....

Some new info here - Sony take note ;)

[​IMG]

THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOLUME 13: STAND BY FAITH - THE GOSPEL YEARS 1979-1981

DISC ONE

1. Slow Train - 1978 live rehearsal - a soundboard tape of an early version of this with prototype lyrics was recorded at a late 1978 sound check. Does not currently circulate.

2. Ain't No Man Righteous, No Not One - Take 6 C Pulled 1 May 79 - This song, performed a handful of times in concert, has never seen a studio version released, nor is it in circulation with collectors. This version was pulled to a compilation reel, obviously under consideration for the album at one point.

3. Trouble In Mind Takes 1-4, 6 - 2 APRIL 30th 1979 - Take 7 is the RELEASED single version. There are several other complete takes that could be included here.

4. I Believe In You Take 1 C Pulled 3 May 79 - Alternate take

5. Slow Train No no. C Pulled 3 May 79 - Alternate take

6. When He Returns Full band Take 1 C 11 4 May 79 - Full band version!

7. Blessed Be The Name - Live 1979 - from one of the Warfield shows.

8. Covenant Woman Take 3 C Pulled 11 Feb 80 - Earlier version that was obviously under consideration for the album before being replaced with a much later version.

9. Solid Rock Take 1 C 3 12 Feb 80 - Alternate take

10. Saving Grace Take 1 or 2 C Pulled to master, other released - Alternate take

11. Property of Jesus - Demo version from the "1980 copyright tape".

12. She's Not For You - Demo from the "1980 copyright tape".

13. The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar - Demo from the "1980 copyright tape".

14. Let's Keep It Between Us - Demo from the "1980 copyright tape".

15. Caribbean Wind - Live (mono?) soundboard recording (KNOWN TO EXIST) from the Fox Warfield, San Francisco November 12, used for copyright purposes. Unsure if this includes Dylan's long "Leadbelly" intro story.

-------------------------------------------------------------

DISC TWO

1. Yonder Comes Sin - Demo from the "1980 copyright tape".

2. Angelina March 26, 1981 - different (earlier) take to the one of "The Bootleg Series 1-3"

3. Caribbean Wind March 31 81 - Different to the released version and different to the commonly bootlegged version, again think a different arrangement and yet another batch of lyrics.

4. I Want You To Know That I Love You Take 1 CT April 1 1981

5. Wild Mountain Thyme - April 1 1981

6. Fur Slippers CT April 2 1981 - Dylan's version remains unheard.

7. Let It Be Me (Delanoe/Bécaud/Curtis) 2x CT - Earlier version of the song (and supposedly superior according th Clinton Heylin) than the version released as a single.

8. Magic CT April 24 1981 - This was under consideration for 'Shot Of Love' I believe.

9. In The Summertime CT April 27 1981 9 complete takes recorded - Alternate take.

10. Heart Of Mine CT April 29 1981 - far better take than was released on the record, this (I think?) is familiar to bootlegs.

11. The Girl From Louisville (trad.} CT

12. Mystery Train Clover 15 May 81

13. Lets Begin - Live soundboard recording from Earl's Court 1981 (...or any of the June/July 1981 European tour - all shows known to have been recorded - take your pick)

14. Girl From The North Country - As above. These last few songs show Dylan moving away from the more forceful religious messages of 1979 back towards more 'secular' music maybe? ...and then just when you think it's all over....

15. Thief On The Cross - live soundboard recording from NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA, NOVEMBER 10, 1981 - Mixed by Daniel Lanois.

DISC THREE & FOUR

A complete live 2cd show from the European tour - Bad Segeberg, Germany on July 14, 1981 might be a good choice?

DISC FIVE & SIX

5. Complete Blu-Ray or DVD of the entire Toronto 1980 pro-shot concert, with 'I Will Love Him' included from the second night.

6. Complete Blu-Ray or DVD of the entire Buffalo 1980 pro-shot concert.

SEPERATE RELEASE:

2cd audio set of Buffalo 1980.

You're welcome.

25. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I believe there's also a soundboard recording of the live 'Do Right To Me Baby' from late 1978 which should really be included.

Percy Song and DeeThomaz like this.