Single Versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thecdguy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I LOVE this tune.

thecdguy likes this.
  2. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Me too. A very overlooked and underrated gem of theirs, IMO. So glad it's finally available on CD in its original single version.

3. thecdguy

While we're on the subject of Daryl Hall & John Oates, does anyone have the 45 of "How Does It Feel To Be Back" and can confirm the label running time of 3:58? I came across a version running abut 4:12 and I know the album version runs around 20 seconds or so longer than that.

4. thecdguy

I believe I have finally found another one of my long sought-after single versions on CD. Until now, I have never known of any CD that had the single version of Little River Band's "Lonesome Loser", but I just got a long out-of-print compilation called "Shades Of Love" (Silver Eagle Records, 1989) that appears to have it. It's an extremely rare compilation comprised of 3 CD's and probably will be expensive if you can find it, but it's still a good collection and also has a few other single versions that are relatively easy to find.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Shades-Of-Love/release/3308303

5. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Good score! How do the songs sound on this comp? I also have been looking for that single on CD. No luck for me though.

Pat

6. thecdguy

It just came today, so I'm in the process of listening to it now. But I definitely like what I'm hearing so far. I'm no audiophile or expert on sound, but I can say that it definitely sounds pretty much the same as other compilations from that era (1989). Silver Eagle and Sessions Records were some great labels back in the late 80's/early 90's for Various Artists compilations. I've been doing a lot of digging lately looking for info on their comps to see if they have any hard-to-find single versions. This one is one of my more favorite finds on CD.

c-eling and PTgraphics like this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Finally sourced the Canadian 7 inch of
    Men Without Hats's- In The 21st Century :)

thecdguy likes this.
  8. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Another nice one I got around to doing today-
    Camouflage-That Smiling Face (Radio Version), 1988

thecdguy likes this.
  9. Richie Lev

Richie Lev Billboard Pop Archivist

Only one of these compilations has Rock Steady's 45 on it at all and that is the import Just Gets Better one. The Razor & Tie set does not contain that song.

10. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

My post referred to the original 2-CD release of Give It Up! by Razor & Tie (catalog number 81071). The 2-CD set has the 45 version of Rock Steady.

An abridged version of Give It Up! was later released by Razor & Tie (catalog number 89058) on one CD. The single CD omits Rock Steady entirely.

The Amazon link is now showing only the single CD version of this title.

thecdguy and BeatlesBop like this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I will try my best to find that 45 and use it as the template to recreate the single edit from CD.

12. thecdguy

I found that 2CD version of Give It Up! not long after your original post about it. It was much harder to find than the single disc version, which seems to be easily found. I'm glad I was able to get it when I did.

13. thecdguy

I'm looking for some information regarding the Genesis song "In Too Deep". I noticed that the UK edition of Now That's What I Call Music! 8 contains a version of the song that runs about 15-20 seconds shorter than the album version. Does anyone know if this was the single version in the UK? I've looked it up on Discogs and eBay, and all pics of the UK 45 don't seem to show a running time. I believe the US 45 was the same as the album version, but I do remember hearing a slightly edited version on the radio, and I assume it was this same edit that appears on the Now CD.

14. Grant

Tonight, this morning, whatever, I decided to check for 45 versions of Donna Summer's Oasis and Casablanca singles on CD. I am greatly disappointed that very few have actually made it to digital at all. Some that are labeled single versions aren't the actual singles. To add to the mess, the 45 of "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)" uses the "Barbra Streisand" mix, but two Donna Summer CDs I have lists the "Donna Summer" mix as the single.

I found on Cat45's site that the apparent intended U.S. single for "Love To Love You Baby" is indeed the 3:27 edit found on the last part of the LP version, or the BB side of the 45. But, everywhere you look, the record company insists the hit side is the 4:57 edit because it's barked AA on the 45, and two CDs have the 3:27 edit, but the wrong mix without the orchestra! Then, the 3:27 side was issued again with a different B-side. No indication of what the mix is.

Because I don't own some of the earlier 45s, I had to reference YouTube for the edits, and Cat45 for the timings. Well, I just finished recreating the "PG" 45 edit of "Could It Be Magic", which does not appear on any CD to my knowledge. I would like to find the flip side that had the "G" Rated version. :) (I'm serious! The labels are posted on the Cat45 website!). I can do "Try me, I Know We Can Make It", but, man, that track on the album is over 17 minutes long, and very repetitious!

Since I have most of the later 45s, I plan to assemble my own Dionna Summer singles collection when I am done gathering up all the correct single versions.

15. thecdguy

I believe they were discussing "Love To Love You Baby" on the Pat Downey message boards about a month or so ago. If I recall, both the 3:27 and 4:57 edits were released as commercial singles, with the former being issued first without any success and the latter becoming the "hit" version.

16. Grant

I know. I have one of those two-sided commercial singles. But, the 3:27 is the one that sounds like the hit version, and is the one I heard on the radio in 1976.

I probably read and participated in that thread, but I really don't check in that much.

17. Richie Lev

I have been looking for the radio edit of Another Day in Paradise at 4:48 forever. Anybody know any other collection it is on. I can't find AYIR: 1989 on Amazon or Ebay.

18. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

19. thecdguy

20. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

21. thecdguy

I figured there must have been a promo CD single for it, but I couldn't find a listing for one on Discogs. I know the 4:48 edit is also on a TM Century CD as well.

22. Richie Lev

23. Richie Lev

Which one was that?

24. Richie Lev

The 1989 CD single has a running time of 5:15, the actual 45 of 4:48. Very weird. I try to tell myself it was very early in the CD single run and 45's were still being produced. Just seems weird that you have two different times for the same song for two different formats. Go figure.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Did you "miss again"? ;)