Bad horror movies that just don't work

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that if a fictional horror came to life in our living rooms then the threshold for being scared changes. Good grief, I'd probably be scared of a single cockroach!

As for The Ring, well, it would be easy to list a couple dozen more frightening movies.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  2. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I'm glad it worked for you. For me it just failed. The first half was okay, but then it became a rehash of Poltergeist. And I am one that'll sit through bad scary movies.

One that terrified me, around that same time, was Sinister. I find that one scary upon a second or third viewing.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

And VR WON'T be the greatest for horror games ever!

4. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Human Centipede 3. Number 2 was was motion picture history. Number 3 was just uninteresting and bad on every level.

5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Wow. I have it, but didn't screen yet. My theater room is about two thirds blacked out (with velvet!) and my screen is about 92" diagonal for 1.85 and 115" for 2.35. So, horror is fairly stressful viewing.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I still haven't seen Part 3 yet... (never been able to find a copy anywhere).... but Part 2 was definitely one of the most f***ed up movies I've ever seen. :p

7. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

It's really not worth your effort. The 3rd sequence has little to do with the first two and little to do with a human centipede thing. It's just an unfunny and not scary/gory comedic effort about an abusive prison warden. Mostly one cheap set and shot in uninteresting color that lacks the supreme black & white/neo-gothic look of sequence two. I honestly think Tom Six had an old unusable script laying around that he quickly shot cheaply and then slapped the centipede title on in quick effort to capitalize off of Sequence 2's success.

Rocker likes this.
  8. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Well, Rosemary asked that question... :nyah:

guy incognito and Pinknik like this.
  9. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

The Blair Witch Project is the most overrated horror movie of all-time.

altaeria, geo50000 and keefer1970 like this.
  10. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I wouldn't even say it's overrated. I've never heard anyone say they liked it.
    :shrug:

11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Even 2 wasn't nearly as good as the 1st one! At last the first one was the most plausible...... The 3rd one was a total waste of my time.

12. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

The Conjuring reminded me a bit of the Exorcist in that there were undertones of abuse that were danced around underneath the horror gloss. I think the better horror movies tend to marry those undertones a bit deeper to the overall story and aren't ham-fisted about it; the Exorcist being the better movie of the two in this regard. The huckster couple that was brought in during The Conjuring to help the family were a bit too cartoonish as compared to Fr. Karras.

Most bad horror movies to me are the ones that are really B movies in disguise but are in denial about their B movie status and so take themselves too seriously. Give me movies like The Gate, Ghoulies, and Night of the Creeps any day over stuff like those Jason, Freddie and Michael sequels (the originals were just being bled dry, except for the interesting Halloween 3 concept).

Edit: I'd say that Conjuring couple was definitely a rip off of the group that comes in to help in Poltergeist. The rip-off/spoof was done much better by the characters in Insidious, which was a better re-imagining of Poltergeist than the modern remake.

13. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Oculus (2014)

14. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The couple in The Conjuring is based on real people- Ed and Lorraine Warren.

James Wan directed Insidious as well. I was confused earlier as I've seen Sinister (with Ethan Hawke) but not Insidious.

15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Rotten Tomatoes stats seems to agree that it's overrated (critics vs. fan ratings): The Blair Witch Project »

I'm with the critics on this one. Probably one of the most effective horror flics I've ever seen.

16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Couldn't disagree more.... not only do I really like BWP, it's the only film that has ever seriously given me the creeps (and I'm a die-hard horror aficianado who's seen *everything*). :p

17. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I wasn't scared by Blair Witch - found it creepy at times, and overall mildly enjoyable. I don't think it belongs in a thread that is "bad movies that just don't work."

18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I don't think there is any hint or subtext of abuse in either film - can you be more specific about what prompted you to think this?

In general your point is valid, but I don't think anyone, including the movies' creators thought of the Freddie and Michael films as anything but B movies. There is a later "Nightmare" film that I've read about, that I do think was a somewhat serious self-referential take on the series, but I haven't seen that one and don't remember the exact title.

I think it's interesting that the original Nightmare on Elm Street probably was seen by the creators as somewhat of a B movie, but that one actually transcended that status, thanks to a great premise that was executed almost perfectly.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  19. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I like it. So there.

Vinyl Addict and Rocker like this.
  20. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

The Blair Witch Project gave me a headache. Not from the shaky hand-held cam "look," but because the characters basically did nothing but wander around in the woods screaming at each other. I wanted the Witch to finish them all off faster so they'd shut the hell up... :D

Rob Zombie's Halloween was blah. Michael Myers was scarier when his motives were unknown. R.Z. turned him into a white-trash kid with Mommy issues.

Pinknik and geo50000 like this.
  21. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I thought it worked pretty well in the little Art House theater I saw it in when it first came out. Made me jump and held my attention. However, I believe it failed miserably on the small screen. This is one that just isn't for home viewing. Much better in a dark, crowded theater, but only for first time viewing. Once you've seen it, there's really no reason to re-visit it. IMO of course.

Plus, it was just fun to be part of the original phenomenon that it was.

22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Hard to do that extensively with forum rules but the fam in the conjuring, esp the wife was receiving injuries out of thin air. No such thing as supernatural ghosts and this was supposedly based on a true story. So where did those wounds come from? They're either self inflicted or inflicted by someone in the house. Then you have the children who are scared out of their wits and tormented mentally by a "ghost". In come bona fide religious ghost hunters to chase them away. Was it cover?

23. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

I thought "The Orphanage" was an awful one full of cheap shots. The direction and the acting were OK, though.

24. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Same with "Cloverfield"...(although the 'shaky-cam' DID give me a headache...about 20 mins. in)
    I kept wanting to yell at the screen: "Put down the f#@!in' camera and RUN, you mo-ron!"

altaeria and keefer1970 like this.
  25. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Halloween III...more stupid than scary, but I like the song:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.