Fixing The 2nd WHO album - A Quick One 1966

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I like it just fine as it is, even if some people think its flawed or whatever.

And singles are singles, not album tracks.

O Don Piano and CMcGeek like this.
  2. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

No "In The City"? Then I'm going up the country! o_O

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yeah, my feeling has been that it was compiled and sent to Germany earlier, and subsequently released as-is. That said, I've never seen that particular tape box. The AQO tape definitely dates from 1972 though.

4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Minutia aside, I think this album is one of the great sophomore releases of '60s British rock bands. It wasn't until The Internet that I had any indication there was some consensus otherwise.

5. tages

tages Senior Member

"A Quick One" was the album that I fell in love with The Who to, and is still my favourite.

The Reaction mono LP and original UK 45s sound tremendous spinning on my Rega - not audiophile but painfully good. I wish CDs could sound like that.

Love the storytelling, the humour, the pop art sleeve, the MELODIES, the harmonies, the mod-soul approach, the incredible power of those three playing together. '60's Who is it for me.

I can't get into Quadrophenia but I love A Quick One.

6. dee

dee Senior Member

HappyFingers likes this.
  7. CMcGeek

CMcGeek Loves records maybe too much

Unless you're a U.S. record label in the 60's or 70's :D

Michael P and Jim B. like this.
  8. dee

dee Senior Member

Love the storytelling, the humour, the pop art sleeve, the MELODIES, the harmonies, the mod-soul approach, the incredible power of those three playing together. '60's Who is it for me.

Well said :). I too find much to like about AQO. And especially parts of your post.

I find AQO falters rather noticeably in the middle. As much fun as Cobwebs is, the run of 'songs' from Heatwave until the start of So Sad, is just not strong enough, imo. The album starts well and ends well, but falters between, imo.

An alternate, more electric version of "Substitute" (i.e. BBC) might work on the album as a replacement for a middle song and you would still have the more acoustic and proper single version. An alternate version of "I'm A Boy" different than the single could possibly work as part of the album's midsection. "Disguises" is another solid and quality songwriting and musically interesting effort imo - an 'LP deep cut' in that sense of the term. I also hear "In The City" as quite charming and effective. Then there is "Happy Jack" where perhaps the other mix of it could be used as opposed to the one tacked on the U.S. LP. Just some suggestions or potential options of which there are a few more as well.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I think Don't Look Away is great.

10. dee

dee Senior Member

That's a good point. I don't really like the performance or maybe arrangement or maybe the mix of it, or all of the above, and-or perhaps the song itself, but I can't argue that it's not a thoughtfully crafted song - it is, imo.

11. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

Well It's clear you are no fan of Quick One revisionism. Which I understand. But this is strictly an academic discussion, & as such I feel certain those left off songs make the album better. In fact it's the most startling extreme example I'm aware of, where the songs left off the album can reshape it so much for the better.

I love the WHO extra tracks, they have the best discography in the world for non album tracks. I think it may be larger than the core album discography.

What about compiling a 68 studio album from what they recorded that year ? Are you against that ?

12. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I think it's one of the better songs but, again, that's not saying a lot. Having Keith playing a piece of cardboard ... :( -E

13. Jet Age Eric

I also really like "Girl's Eyes" ... Foolishly, I held out some hope when I bought Keith's solo record. :( -E

Hep Alien and overdrivethree like this.
  14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I disagree with your feelings regardless, but you seem to be thinking of See My Way.

johnny moondog 909 and keifspoon like this.
  15. johnny moondog 909

I'm not keen on the Quick One front cover. The idea is nice, but I don't think the drawing is that good. I've seen riffs done of that drawing that were better. I love the My Generation & Who Sell Out covers.

By the way, for those against the revisionism I suggest for A Quick One, you can leave it be, & there is still enough for a great 66 album just using what's left. For example

1. Happy Jack
    2. Man With Money
    3. Pictures of Lily
    4. Doctor Doctor
    5. In the city
    6. I'm a Boy

7. Substitute
    8. Disguises
    9 Circles
    10 I've been away
    11 Bucket T

Or whatever. Can you believe none of that is on the actual album...

Michael P, turnersmemo and Man at C&A like this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Personally I would lob off Heatwave & Cobwebs, replacing them with anything would be an improvement

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  17. johnny moondog 909

I love the 65 version of Heatwave, 'arguably' the best cover song. It's far superior to the 66 version. The 65 tracks have a thicker better sound. The 66 version is the kind of thing that makes me say hey redo the tracklist.

Lukpac you don't love 'Don't Look Away' ? Wow..... I think it's one of the great pop art pieces they did in that period. Almost an early precursor or hint to some later stuff on Rough Mix & Empty Glass..

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Disagree all around there.

19. johnny moondog 909

I knew Heatwave wasn't a favorite of yours, but you don't like the sonics on MG better than AQO. ? Really ?...... that's not what you meant ?

Stylistically a few Quick One songs, Heatwave, & Run Run Run fit into that R&B groove they had on 1st album. But most of the 66 songs are what I'd call the pop art phase, so in a way, I'd expect different sonics, but even so, for whatever reason I think MG has a thicker & better sound sonically...

I mean they later put Can't Explain & AAA on the expanded MG album, & a lot more R&B covers, are you against doing the same thing on an expanded AQO. ?

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I find the Heatwave remake superior all around. Not the strongest song in their catalog, but it works on A Quick One.

My custom AQO is more or less a stereo (where available) version of what's on the Japanese sets. Original album followed by bonus tracks. I like the bonus tracks, but I have no interest in changing the album itself.

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got the cassette. You've never heard w-i-d-e stereo until you've heard the mix of I'm a Boy on this album.

Jim B., turnersmemo and lukpac like this.
  22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

True, but the same mix is on Who's Better Who's Best, the I'm A Boy CD, the Japanese AQO sets, etc, etc.

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

When I got the cassette I only had Direct Hits.

24. Jet Age Eric

You're right, I am! Sorry! -E

25. johnny moondog 909

By the way just as an aside. I like Entwistle & Daltrey tunes, & wish Daltrey had written a few more WHO songs. I also wish Townshend would have sung a few more lead vocals, on the albums where he sings little or no leads... Although Daltrey is the primary lead singer & Townshend the primary writer, the contrast of Townshend & E twistles vocals & Entwistle's 2 songs per album is one of my fave things about them.

I like the AQO deluxe 95 reissue but I feel they still left off too many bonus tracks, there was at least 5-6 more I wish they would have used in addition to the 10 they added.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.