Direct-to-Disc lp's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JstMeUC, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

I just got the Friendship album in today which was also JVC d2d and sound like perfection. I also still have to get Sugarloaf Express and his other d2d album Gentle Thoughts.

2. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Direct from 1981 when the lead singer was Michael Jeffries, Lenny Pickett was about to leave and David Garibaldi and Rocco Presita weren't in the group

Heckto35 likes this.
  3. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Check out Nitin Sawhney OneZero 5LP set, all acoustic performance recorded direct-to-disc 45rpm at Metropolis in the UK ;)

ArneW likes this.
  4. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Lee is great...i may have the friendship album...ill have to check...over the last year ive just been buying jazz and rock "specialty albums....half speeds as well.

Heckto35 likes this.
  5. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

McLover, Heckto35 and Gardo like this.
  6. honestabe316

It seems to be available on the bay....ill listen over the weekend...love a good tip :)

7. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

Wow. I knew of that album, but had no idea it was D2D. Sweet! By the way check this out!
    Live And In Living Color (Pre-Order) »
    I already have an original pressing, but this looks pretty inviting!

8. honestabe316

I always crack up when i see the financing available on soundstage direct underneath a 30 dollar album...haha

SoundDoctor and Heckto35 like this.
  9. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

The first Rough Trade album is direct-to-disk and fantastic.

10. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

Lenny Breau did a Direct-To-Disk album too in 1978-1979, but fantastic? Not so much.
    Like Steve said, it seems that the limitations of the form got in the way (with the exception of a cover of "You Needed Me" with Chet Atkins).

11. honestabe316

An article i read a year or 2 ago made a point by saying that many artists, when knowing that they are recording the final product in one take, tend to go light on the improv as they are trying to make no mistakes....so many of thesedirect to disc recordings are bland as the artists proceed with caution...

12. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Probably for the same reason that fashion models today look very little like their photo edited magazine ads. How much of what we see or hear today is real? How many artist are willing to be recorded without audio 'airbrushing'?

13. honestabe316

I almost feel that anytime an artist KNOWS they are being recorded.....they might be self conscious and be more careful than they would if they didnt know..........thats my opinion anyway...i mean thats what studio albums are for right? On the diirect to disc recordings i suppose if they show any flaws then thats cool because afterall you want the closest to an intimate recording of the artist as he or she really is at that given moment whether they shine or hit a wrong note....otherwise its a studio album.....the "realness" in the moment capture is what makes it unique....at least thats where im coming from....

14. CJH79

CJH79 Well-Known Member

15. I think I have a couple of such vinyl albums. I consider them a technical curiosity, and they are interesting for the technology/process used, but the musical performances are usually just decent and sort of stiff. I have Thelma Houston record mentioned before and a Jazz record by San Francisco Ltd.

The sound quality is pretty impressive though.

I got both of these as a gift, and I wouldn't pay big bucks for them, but I am glad I have them and am thankful that they were given to me.

16. By the way, weren't some of these records cut one song at the time? I mean, when cutting a record, you don't have to cut the whole side in one session, or am I wrong?

I think I have heard one some Direct to Disc records some small noise between the tracks which sounded like someone might have stopped and restarted the recording.

Hotdog likes this.
  17. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I believe they have to record a whole side all at once. On my Buddy Spicher LP, there are some gaps of about 20 seconds between some tracks. Presumably, that's how long it took to get everybody on the same page for the next track.

18. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

The Berlin Philharmonic just announced the release of a very limited all-analog direct to disc set of the complete Brahms Symphonies. My jaw is literally on the floor, both from the fact that the best orchestra in the world is releasing an analog audiophile oriented product, but also from the price tag (500 euros). I know it's ridiculous, but I am honestly considering saving up for it. We will probably never see anything like this ever again (or maybe we will, but still...).

SergioRZ likes this.
  19. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I have probably 7-8 and have dumped a bunch more just because I really have no interest in the music. Have the Thelma Houston and Harry James "King James Version" on Sheffield-I've traded away a bunch of other Sheffields (the Drum Record, a bunch of the Lincoln Mayorgas,etc.) as I just figured I'd never listen to them.

The stand outs here that get a fair bit of play are Rob McConnell's Boss Brass "Big Band Jazz" on Umbrella and Buddy Rich's "Class of 78". Sound quality is stellar on both of course but the performances are also quite good. Well worth seeking out and relatively cheap as well.

20. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Now that is impressive :)

:D

21. Interesting. Sold out by now.

22. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident

I have a reel to reel tape which has Supetramp's Crime of the Century on one side and that is marked "from direct to disk record". This is possibly from 1978 based on the fact that an Alice Cooper album that came out at that time is on the other side and listed as a "new release."

The Supertramp is not live so what does direct to disk mean in this context ?

23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I have a 45 rpm nr. mint white vinyl Charlie Byrd on Crystal Clear CCS 8002. Best Byrd I've heard. I bought it used and the original receipt is still inside cover for (2 Byrds) from Nov. 4,1977. $24 + 1.44 tax purchased at Opus One,400 Smithfield, Pittsburgh,PA or 3519 Forbes. I don't know if the purchase was for 2 of the same LP or 2 different Byrd LP's one being the Crystal Clear.

McLover likes this.
  24. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

As far as I know Supertramp only ever recorded one song direct to disc: "Cannonball"
    It was released as a 12" 45 rpm single.
    The direct disc single version has the same running time (7:42) as the album version from the "Brother Where You Bound" LP, so maybe they ran tape at the same session to use on the LP ?
    Never actually compared the LP version to the direct disc version myself, just noticed that they have identical running times.....
    The B side of the single is a 10 minute long instrumental take of "Cannonball" but unlike the A side it was not recorded direct to disc.

Dicogs link below;

Supertramp - Cannonball

25. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident

I think whoever recorded the tape somehow mislabeled it as direct to disk and they did it twice ( on the outer tape box and on an insert ). Perhaps it was some other type of special release but I dug out my 1974 vinyl copy of the album and it seems to be the same recording except on the tape they recorded side two first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.