New Loretta Lynn Christmas album, "White Christmas Blue" (10/07/2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Sep 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Information and release date borrowed from the folks at IMWAN. Nothing listed on Amazon yet, but apparently at one time there were links for CD and vinyl, so hopefully those will reappear soon.

2. pghmusiclover

From Amazon.com's description:

Loretta Lynn celebrates the holiday season with the new album White Christmas Blue! Her first collection of seasonal songs since 1966's Country Christmas features 12 new studio recordings made at Cash Cabin Studio in Hendersonville, Tennessee. Highlights include "White Christmas Blue," a future yuletide classic newly penned by Loretta Lynn and Grammy Award winner Shawn Camp; new versions of two original compositions ("Country Christmas," "To Heck With Ole Santa Claus") which first appeared on Country Christmas; and soulful interpretations of traditional carols ("Away in a Manger," "O Come All Ye Faithful") and pop standards ("Winter Wonderland," "White Christmas").

1. White Christmas Blue
    2. Country Christmas
    3. Winter Wonderland
    4. Away in a Manger
    5. Blue Christmas
    6. To Heck with Ole Santa Claus
    7. Frosty the Snowman
    8. O Come All Ye Faithful
    9. Jingle Bells
    10. White Christmas
    11. Silent Night
    12. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas

https://www.amazon.com/White-Christ...tta+lynn+white+christmas+blue&tag=smarturl-20

3. pghmusiclover

4. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

this is a new recording? not a reissue?

5. pghmusiclover

See the first post: "Her first collection of seasonal songs since 1966's Country Christmas features 12 new studio recordings...."

6. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

7. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

wow thank you for posting that...she sounds great for being 84

8. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

This has been out for 2 weeks and I'm seeing this now?! :eek:

Does anyone know if the vinyl includes a download code?

9. pghmusiclover

Sadly it does not...

Marble Index likes this.
  10. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I'll wait for the non Christmas album.

11. pghmusiclover

At this point in Loretta's career, I'll take whatever new music she cares to share!

Marble Index likes this.
  12. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

Thank you! :righton:

I guess I'll have to go for both the CD and vinyl, as I did with 'Full Circle'.

[​IMG]

Tjazz likes this.
  13. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Cool, but an album consisting of the same old Christmas tunes isn't exactly ''new'' music.:)

John B Good likes this.
  14. pghmusiclover

There are a few different originals on here, plus I'm happy to hear Loretta making new recordings -- if not exactly "new music"... I get that not everyone cares for Christmas music...

Marble Index likes this.
  15. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

Borrowed this from the library and listened to it: like "Full Circle", the production is fabulous, as are the song choices (I really liked "To Heck With Ole Santa Claus" :laugh:), and it's a really well done Christmas album.

driverdrummer, pghmusiclover and JAG like this.
  16. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I called the local record shop yesterday and they had this LP so I went there and bought it. First, however, I insisted that they throw it onto one of their TT's to verify it isn't warped like some other brand new albums I've bought there. The sales guy was sort of a jerk about it and I had to first purchase it before they would open it.

But, the LP lied flat on their deck so home it came.

This is a very nice sounding album. It's well produced and recorded with good fiddle, piano, steel guitar and Loretta's voice sounds down home and, considering her age, it's strong. Her rendition of The Night Before Christmas may take time to digest. Her version of Blue Christmas was like listening to Elvis but it was Loretta. There were no fancy frills on any of the tunes. Just a nice clean take on all of the songs.

I like that.

driverdrummer and Johnny Reb like this.
  17. pghmusiclover

Just listening to my new Christmas albums this weekend, including this one. It's a very nice, stripped down affair. I must say that it drives me batty that she says "chimley" in stead of "chimney".

Johnny Reb likes this.
  18. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

It's so great that she recorded ~100 songs in this stripped down manner. 2 albums down, can't wait for the next installment!

I've listened to it a few times. It's a good one and the originals are nice.

driverdrummer and Johnny Reb like this.
  19. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

This is my favorite of the new Christmas releases I've gotten so far this year. Great singing, great production and I really like her song, 'White Christmas Blue'

20. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

My brother was telling me that him and his daughter went to see a Loretta Lynn performance. They sat in the front row. He said the first part of the show was family of hers along with studio musicians, but when Loretta hit the stage, he said it appeared that the band members were on pins and needles.

Loretta complained about her mic sounding tinny (with a Country twang) and she asked if any of the band members had a handkerchief. They scrambled trying to find one but my brother's daughter said, dad, you always carry a handkerchief, so he took it out of his pocket and told her he had one.

A stage hand grabbed it from him and she wrapped it around her mic and did the show. At the end of the show, she placed the mic on the stage and they all walked off. His daughter told one of the stage hands to get her dad's handkerchief, which they did.

He said he keeps it in a plastic bag and it still smells of her perfume.

I suspect it was clean for him to let her to use it.

Marble Index likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.