New Prince: 4Ever (2016) & Purple Rain Deluxe (2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueGangsta, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Awesome Donkey

Awesome Donkey Forum Resident

Honestly, I'm surprised to see Batdance included.

Would love to see a deluxe version of the Batman soundtrack with Dance With The Devil included.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes! A three CD set would be awesome! Remixes, demos, etc. I'd be all for that!

longaway and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  3. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

That is too obvious an idea for them to ignore, right? Something like Duran Duran's "Night Versions" would be really cool.

4. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

It'd have to be on quite a few CDs. One set I've got, which is very much incomplete, is 6 discs and there are at least 4 discs worth of stuff that isn't included. Start throwing in associated artists 12" mixes and your into 15+ discs. I'd hope, if it happens, for there to be a 2 disc set of greatest 12" mixes and then a bigger set with the lot. There's gotta be at least 1 disc just of Get Off remixes alone.

JasonA likes this.
  5. You're forgetting 3 big ones:

"We CanF!ck" - Dec '83 - Jan 1984
    "Love and Sex" - Feb 1984
    "Katrina's Paper Dolls" late 1983

I don't think "Wonderful Ass" qualifies. It's was too early in 1983. Although Prince didn't work in sessions for an album, from the conventional standpoint, I've always believed that as an album Purple Rain started with the recording of "When Doves Cry" and Prince was inspired from there.

6. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

Wow! They already have it up! Just checked out the song list on the site. Can't wait to hear 'Grand Slam'. :D

7. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

For Dirty songs, I think Sister was second to none, even for a maniac like me

Grant and EVOLVIST like this.
  8. djej

djej Forum Resident

True, but it's not on this comp.

9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I so want this Purple Rain set to be killer but I worry that we are setting ourselves up for a major disappointment.

zaza_3121 likes this.
  10. artfromtex

I think they need to start with the obvious stuff first. 1 or 2 disc compilations will be the path, I believe. To come out of the gate with a massive multi-disc set dedicated to 12"mixes would be retail suicide.

At least we are finally getting SOMETHING. Getting nothing is the ultimate disappointment.

edenofflowers and noname74 like this.
  11. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

Someone on Prince.org said something to the effect that this is basically for the casual fans, i.e those who predominantly took an interest in Prince after his death. The real goodies for the super fan will most likely come later on after the hype dies down a little. Let's not get too worried about what is and what isn't here yet, I'm certain we'll get them later!

edenofflowers likes this.
  12. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

Ha! I didn't notice that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I'm hoping !

14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes last year it go re-released without the limited edition 3rd disc

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Purple Rain - With New Hat!"

[​IMG]

TonyCzar and JasonA like this.
  16. Oatsdad

I dunno - if they give us a super-crappy "deluxe" version of "PR", it might be worse than nothing. At least "nothing" leaves hope we'll eventually get something good - if they serve us a crapburger, then we know we're screwed...

Thom, George P, c-eling and 1 other person like this.
  17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

A 12" compilation of the Warner era (since that is what is "allowed") would only need to be a 2-CD, or maximum a 3-CD, to cover the important stuff (meaning excluding stuff like ten mixes of "Gett Off" in a row).

Yes, I'm not getting why so many are getting their knickers in a twist because there has been a compilation released. This has only begun, and I prefer them to take their time and do things properly, rather than rush out a multitude of haphazard releases right away.

-

I saw there's a line of resoning on prince.org that goes that these are "non-estate" releases, meaning they are cooked up by Warner on their own, without direct involvement from the estate, that could be a reason why it stops where it does. But if so that could also indicate that Warner owns the vault material that was recorded during this peroid. This is just a lot of speculation or course.

18. Why? Ludwig, for one, has turned into a corporate hack. Ears of stone.

Better, Grundman, Hoffman, or Gray. Hersch, eh, maybe.

George P and c-eling like this.
  19. artfromtex

Let's hope Phil Collins is not in charge!! ;)

Grant and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. artfromtex

Yeah, that is reasonable. I was talking about how a 10+ disc set was unrealistic.

21. Oatsdad

Yeah, I guess those Phil Collins reissues were a disaster, weren't they?

I would've picked up the deluxe versions of the first 4 albums but I heard such bad things about them that I didn't bother!

artfromtex and Grant like this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I may grab that 'Ultimate' comp Morgan instead of this new one, that title name is awful, like it's being marketed for 10 year old's :laugh: Thanks for the reminder :cheers:

23. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

You regard it as a cash-grab, but you're still buying it?

[​IMG]

24. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

My plan for 4Ever is to borrow it from the library. If the sound quality is an upgrade on The Hits and the existing CDs, sure, I'll buy it as a Christmas present to myself. But I honestly don't expect it to be. (The way Warners totally botched Madonna's Celebration still has me seething). :disgust: / ;). More likely, I'll (quietly now...) rip "Moonbeam Levels" and wait patiently/optimistically for the deluxe Purple Rain.

DesertHermit likes this.
  25. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

So, reading around a bit, there are some comments from insiders that suggest both these releases were agreed upon from before (maybe back in 2014, when the deal with Warner was made). (For example there is this: Instagram photo by Justine Walpole • Oct 21, 2016 at 9:38am UTC ») In any case, the press release talks about the "deluxe version of Purple Rain, plans for which were agreed with Prince", so what if he had actualy finalized the track listing of the Deluxe edition? If so, what if Warner have the rights to "Moonbeam Levels" and it makes an appearance on 4Ever simply because it is a taste of their upcoming Purple Rain reissue, meaning the companion disc is a completely random collection of outtakes? We are assuming that a Deluxe edition is an expanded version of the main album, with tracks from that era, because that is the norm, but if Prince put this Deluxe together himself, all bets are off, because he wouldn't have been thinking like that... :sigh:

Edit: Then again the press release says "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" is on the compilation, so... :shrug:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Freek999 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.