New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Wow, that's not how I would describe the 2011 at all.

2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I think he means DSOTM.

3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yep although the 2011 WYWH was excellent by comparison. Although this new BG cut is slightly better still. I found both previous reissues of both DSOTM and The Wall completely underwhelming and they weren't in my possession for long!

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  4. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Okay, just to throw a curve-ball here for fun: how would you guys compare the new Bernie Grundman vinyl to the 1st/2nd press UK, Germany, or Japanese cd's, for those of you who have them?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    c-eling likes this.
  5. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Oh well in that case I agree.

richbdd01 likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I don't have any of the newer issues (Wish) but on my system/setup I prefer the Japan for US 1994 Mastersound compact disc, which is odd as I don't usually like added compression, very detailed and articulate
    Tie between my Barry US 1981 lp and UK Harvest compact disc <--Both are quite comparable and offer a nice warm laid back EQ
    Was not a fan of the Stereo portion of the AP SACD
    With all these issues, it looks like a taste for everyone depending on what you enjoy

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  7. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

Following this thread doggedly. I think it's great that they're releasing STANDARD (not mega-audiophiliac-jacked-up-price-hype) versions of these records that can stand putting next to UK originals. Do they better the originals? Naw (except arguably More). Are they close? Yeah.

I'm not buying copies of the albums I already have decent copies of, or expecting these to be the be-all for Total Sound Immersion, but the fact I can confidently walk into my local and pick up any one of these reissues with total confidence that it's going to sound very good & I can rock out to it? That warms my damn heart.

8. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Keep checking those used bins man, found mine at a thrift last year for a buck 99 :)

boboquisp and Telemark like this.
  9. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

What was not great about them?

10. Norco74

Different ears, different hifi setup, that's all.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  11. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

My late 90's Pink Floyd cd set. WYWH Collector's Edition sounds excellent, listening to it right now. I forgot I had it with my older set of PF cds.
    I also have here the 20th anniversary of DSOTM.
    [​IMG]

12. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I had that in my hands today at a record store. Does it have any special value to it? Sound better than other CDs?

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I agree, I'm SO happy that they're not releasing them as $50-a pop super audiophile packages. Heck, they could have priced ALL of them about $5-$10 more than they did, and still moved a considerable number of units, because Pink Floyd. I kinda wish they'd have released DSOTM and WYWH at the same price point as the others, but they have to include the posters and all that crap. Which is OK, not everyone still has that stuff from the 70's. But heck, having already bought the first three, I'm in the tall grass. I thought I'd probably NEVER own Piper on LP, but now I do. So I'm happy, it's all gravy from here on.

John Bliss and driverdrummer like this.
  14. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I think it sounds very good, has a nice warm bass. The drums sound really great. I've always treasured this cd. Correction, the cd collection pictured is from 1994, except WYWH and DSOTM

15. Norco74

Assuming that DSOTM 2016 is a BG cut, which song or part of a song will really stand out from the lot as a remastering achievement?

I vote for the piano and vocal parts of ´the great gig in the sky'.

16. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

The congested choruses of Us And Them

Also, the tail end of Eclipse (loud end-of-side torture test)

17. rsorensen

rsorensen Active Member

Finally got Meddle today from Amazon UK. Pretty noisy even after a quick brush and wash. No pops or clicks, just constant, quiet rice krispies. Also I'm getting little gaps in playback between songs. Like the audio completely quickly cuts out 1-3 times. Anyone know what that's about? :(
    Think I'll need to give it a more thorough cleaning and see how it settles. My The Wall started off noisy but now it's dead quiet.
    Music sounds bloody fantastic though.

John Bliss, Dorian75 and Jam757 like this.
  18. rsorensen

rsorensen Active Member

YES. The drum fills especially need way more punch. They're so muted on all the masters I have that they're barely audible at times under everything else. Might be hard to pull off with that crushing chorus synth but I believe in Bernie.

John Bliss and driverdrummer like this.
  19. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Send it back. Quiet versions are out there. It's an RI pressing and quality control is not as good as Optimal (but not far off) who did the earlier PF albums.

rsorensen likes this.
  20. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Unfortunately I can't answer that question: I returned my original 2011 LP after a single play I was so disappointed for some reason (sounded flat & lacking dynamics as a recall) — so could have been a bad pressing, or I could have had a bad day and not gotten into the sound :) (As I have heard reported here mixed results re pressing on this — surprising from Optimal, I know).

This 2016 pressing of WYWH TML-M sounds really great to me, with few flaws, could totally live with it. Excited to hear Bernie's take.

David Ellis and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  21. Anne Elk (Miss)

Anne Elk (Miss) Well-Known Member

What turntable do you have?

22. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

That's how I do it with WYWJ. I stuck a piece of packing card inside the black sleeve to keep it stiff. Stops the packaging getting wrecked and less of a faff getting the record out.

23. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

superstar19 and passion4music like this.
  24. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

New to this fantastic gathering place for music lovers and I would just like to say...(May have been said before)... Smoke a big dube, eat a few cookies, or whatever your heart desires...
    Turn out the lights, put any copy of any Floyd album on the old deck and it will sound awesome. Seems some of us get caught up in worrying about having the "best" and forget why we listen in the first place.
    I for one could give a rat's ass as to which pressing I own(Silly Cherub). I just want to upgrade my beat up old LP's that have been around forever. Starting with DSOTM I have probably had in my possession(At one time anyways)
    at least 4 or 5 copies of each album. Not because I am a collector...but because we played the hell out of them. I WISH I had my first copy of The Wall(I was 15) only because of the memories that went with it.
    We haunted that record store for days waiting for that to come in.
    Now... I realise this is an audiophile hangout and that many of you take your music seriously...fair enough. I have become somewhat intrigued by this whole culture of finding cool pressings(sucker).
    I have really enjoyed following this thread and look forward to seeing more like it. To me...this is what the music is all about.
    Cheers...Really...Turn out the lights..you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2016
    mooseman, Sadcafe, metalrules and 5 others like this.
  25. gocartmozart

gocartmozart Member

Got this exact same problem with OBC! Should I return it?

rsorensen and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.