R.E.M. `Out Of Time` 25th Anniversary S.E.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richierichie, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

There is single vinyl,
    Amazon UK link
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Time-R...r_1_49?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1475433042&sr=1-49

ARK likes this.
  2. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Woo! Thanks for letting me know. I'm definitely going to pick this up.

I actually bought the 25th anniversary reissue of Green this weekend and it sound just great.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  3. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

You expressed my sentiments exactly. I also enjoyed Peter Buck's solo LPs (the first two, dont have the third..any comments out there??)

4. George P

George P Notable Member

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Just got this email:

Out Of Time Deluxe & 25th Anniversary Edition Contents Revealed
    Here are the contents for the various packages of the Out Of Time 25th Anniversary releases... all of which feature the remastered album, 19 previously unreleased demos, stunning Anton Corbijn photos and liner notes from Annie Zaleski with insight from all four band members.

You can listen to the track "Losing My Religion 2 (Demo)" from the Demos disc here.

The iconic yellow shield has been removed from these packages. Michael had this to say about the change: "I wanted a dramatic change in the artwork to indicate the difference between this release and the original. It will look beautiful on a shelf."

You can view the packages here on our Facebook page.

3-CD/1 Blu-Ray Deluxe Edition – Casebound book featuring previously unreleased photos, extended liner notes, the album and the demos, previously unreleased 1991 performance at Mountain Stage and a Blu-Ray with 8 music videos, Timepiece Video Press Kit and the album in Hi-Resolution and 5.1 surround sound.

2 CD Anniversary Edition – Clamshell box with the album and the demos, liner notes and fold-out poster.

3 LP Anniversary Edition – Gatefold jacket with the remastered album and 19 demos pressed on high-quality 180 gram vinyl with picture sleeves, a download card and liner notes.

Stay tuned for more Out Of Time “reveals” in the coming days!

IronWaffle and Sean Murdock like this.
  6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'll probably be going for the 2CD edition once the price is right. I'm not really interested in the live material and I already have the CD/DVD release with the HD version of the album (which isn't too different, sonically, from the regular CD IMO).

Part of me wants to say this is kind of a missed opportunity, but short of b-sides, what else could they have added to sweeten the pot here?

jsayers likes this.
  7. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

Fretless and It's A Free World, Baby should have really been included. I know the songs are available elsewhere, but they would have made this package more complete.

ARK, fallbreaks, googlymoogly and 5 others like this.
  8. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

So the actual title of the album is a removable sticker and if you remove the plastic it's just a bare album cover photo?

9. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

In case anyone is wondering about the content included with the download code from the 3-LP set, it only contains the album and demos (same material as the lp set).
    I was hoping the Mountain Stage set would be included.

10. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

I've always thought that about "Fretless,'' period. Great song, should have been on the album, sounds apiece with the album. There is a demo of it in the bonus material, so that's something.

I never cared for "Free World," it sounds really forced to me, with an awkward arrangement. Still, if it was a contender for the album then you'd think there'd have been a demo of it, too.

11. Jaffboy151

Jaffboy151 Well-Known Member

Slight change of topic for a second, have been following this thread for a while now and I'm interested in the 3x vinyl release of OoT, just with Christmas around the corner and a handful of other re-releases from various artists coming out at roughly the same time I'm not sure weather to take the plunge..
    I already have this version of Out of Time on vinyl,
    https://www.discogs.com/REM-Out-Of-Time/release/7177827
    I've never had chance to compare it to the standard European or US vinyl releases that came out at the same time.
    It does sound very good although I've always found stipe's vocals a little sharp on this pressing, anyone have this pressing and know how it stands up to the others? Or possibly the new remasters?

captainsolo likes this.
  12. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I had no idea about that one! I knew Green got a 180g remaster in Germany in the early 00's but not about this one.
    The USA OOT vinyl is subtly superior to the cd but the album was mastered very well to begin with. I'd say compare to the original cd if you can. IIRC though I think on my copy the vocals can be a tad sharp so you're probably spot on with that assessment. I would think that they probably reused the European vinyl master for that pressing. As far as I know the US and European Warner era vinyl is largely the same but I have heard vague comments of some preferring one over the other for some albums.

My two cents though: get what you like but don't expect the mastering to be as good as the original. I bet everything will lose at least a point or two on the DR meter but hopefully won't end up like the previous CD deluxe editions.

Jaffboy151 and Golden Richards like this.
  13. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I did get to go to this event, Mike Mills came and did about a 30-40 minute Q&A.
    R.E.M.'s Mike Mills travels through 'Time' in Nashville »

It was nice to see but I get the feeling this kinda stuff will only rev up around the album anniversaries. I wish we got a better idea of the band's involvement etc. or perhaps I'm just hoping for a big set of Peter's liner notes.:D

I'll preorder the big set for the demos official release but primarily since I missed out on the DVD-A and the Bluray looks to be a reissue of that. OOT got a 24/192 stereo hires treatment so I hope it will be there since all the video bits and 5.1 are also present.

Fingers crossed this won't be loud. OOT would really suffer from being compressed in the modern tradition.

Laibach likes this.
  14. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

vonwegen and George P like this.
  15. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Cancel or don't order guys. ;)

Laibach and vonwegen like this.
  17. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

18. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

You're making an SQ evaluation based on a Spotify sound clip embedded in a Rolling Stone article?

I have Spotify and enjoy it, but the resolution and quality of the tracks varies widely, is frequently terrible, and generally bears little or no relation to how the CD will sound.

19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Generally, when you HEAR the compression all over the place, no matter low resolution of Spotify, youtube, Rolling Stone, whatever, you'll certainly find a low DR on the final release

Let's wait and see

There's no way this will have DR 12, like the original album

vonwegen likes this.
  20. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

21. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Which is why I am sticking with the DVD-A of the original deluxe edition.

22. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    theMess and Laibach like this.
  23. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Ye gods! Stipe looks like hell these days! I don't know if trimming down the beard would help... Dude's only 56. He looks older than Leonard Cohen in this shot.

George P likes this.
  24. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Love the cover, I ordered Springsteen 7" before,
    The first one was bent out of shape,
    They sent me a second one which arrived fine,

tingly likes this.
  25. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Actually, to me he looks EXACTLY like a 56-year-old with a beard. What he doesn't look like is your typical rock star or celebrity, desperately doing everything possible to look "young." Good for him.

Blank Frank, ARK, jsayers and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.